Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Overweight and pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
Is anyone else overweight or obese and pregnant? How are you handling it. I've never been this heavy in my life and I'm scared I'm going to gain a lot of weight..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Replies (51-60):
AmberMerrell
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I am. I was 261 when I found out I was pregnant at 4 weeks 1 day. I will be 15 weeks tomorrow & have gained 5 lbs. It was 8, but this morning when I weighed I have lost 3 lbs this week. I'm suprised all I've gained is this much though because I was put on bedrest at 7 weeks 2 days & terrified I was going to gain a lot then. When I get the official clear to be off bedrest I am going to talk to my dr about an exercise routine I could do. My main problem though has been not drinking enough water.
SMG1120
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone gains weight differently during pregnancy. I was 285 when I got pregnant with my daugheter. Due to morning sickness the first 4 months I lost about 30lbs. Then I gained 40 lbs before she was born (I weighed 296 when she was born). 6 week postpartum check I wieghed 266. Within the year after she was born I gained weight bad. I was 330 the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I worked hard to lose weight. I lost 70 lbs and made it to 260 then found out I was pregnant with my son. My doc told me that I could continue to lose weight as long as it was in a healthy way (eating right, exercise). I went for walks and stuff but I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and as mush as I wanted. I only gained a grand total of 10 lbs from conception to birth. I was 270 when he was born. He weighed 9 lbs 6 oz by the way.

My point is, you might lose weight, you may gain very little weight and you may gain more than you want to. Everyone is different. If you are really worried then mae sure that you eat right and get plenty of exercise (lots of walking).

Polkadotted
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I started out around 220.  But I was a little sick at first that I either wasn't interested in eating or I was throwing up.  I ended up losing some weight.  I only ended up gaining 9 pounds from my prepregnancy weight.  I was active the whole time with work and life, but didn't end up adding a lot of exercise.  I just ate better, but not more than I had been well not much more.   

Quoting Cmarie89:

Yeah I'm scared that I may have to be on bed rest near the end, I'm only 8 weeks pregnant and 200 lbs. the doctor said I only need to gain 11-20 Lbs and idk if that's possible lol, I'm trying to walk but I'm just so tired and nauseous all I wanna do is sleep..

triciakae
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I am 10 weeks now last time I checked I was306. With my fist two pregnancies I gained 20 pounds my doctor wasn't worried. My only complication was high blood pressure which was easily controlled with meds .
SMG1120
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Its possible. I was 260lbs when I got pregnant with my son. When he was born, I wieghed 270lbs. A grand total of 10 lbs. He weighed 9 lbs 6 oz at birth by the way. I didnt try not to gain weight though. Thats just how I happened to gain weight with him. With my daughter I gained 40 lbs.

Quoting Cmarie89:

Yeah I'm scared that I may have to be on bed rest near the end, I'm only 8 weeks pregnant and 200 lbs. the doctor said I only need to gain 11-20 Lbs and idk if that's possible lol, I'm trying to walk but I'm just so tired and nauseous all I wanna do is sleep..

hcdeubof3
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM

i was overweight and I just remained active and ate healthy. I didn't "eat for two" like I wanted either. I ended up gaining not as much and then I actually dropped a lot when I started breastfeeding.

perkyjava
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I was obese with my little girl 14 months, I drop some weight after having her got pregnant again and lost the baby after that I gained weight and now I am pregnant again I am nerious too.

mama2my2boys
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
with my last pregnancy i didnt gain a thing...i cut out soda and all the bad stuff and most carbs due to ges diabetes....and after i had her i weighed less then before i got prego....was down twenty pounds....and baby was born at seven lbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CristinJill
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I was over 300 when I became pregnant  with dd I worked really hard and did not gain weight until the last couple of weeks, the doctor said that was just a little water retention. I had a super easy pregnancy, no swelling, no blood pressure issues, etc. Since having my daughter I have lost over 110 lbs, it seems like all the movement involved in being a mom has just burned the weight off!

Yvette209
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I know how u feel when I first got pregnant I was 200 I'm 39 wks n only gained 20 lbs. It was hard to keep walking n I craved a lot of pizza n always got it. But just still eat good size portions n not over eat. I know its hard but u can do it.

Quoting Cmarie89:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN