Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

An email I got from my psych professor..........

Hi. Thank you for your message. First, I'm glad you're mentioning this to me now before the start of the semester. In years past, I sometimes have had students who, like you, were pregnant and expecting to deliver at some point during the course of the semester. Based on past experience, I have found that in the majority of the cases, there were many difficulties in trying to complete the course for these students. Most of these students ultimately decided to drop my course or take it at another time. So, I would first suggest to you to strongly re-evaluate whether it is sensible for you to remain in my course for the spring.

As you'll quickly find out, my General Psychology class is a very demanding class. The good news though is that I offer online General Psychology on a very regular basis. In fact, I'll be offering multiple sections of it again in the Summer and later in the Fall of 2013.

Now, per University policies, for me to consider the possibilities of any extensions, I would need to have documentation of some sort from your physician. (You could just scan and e-mail me any such letter.) And, any such extensions would be limited to the time period during around your delivery.

there are a total of 15 chapters to read. seperated into 4 sections. for each section there is two 200-300 word assignments to do, along with 1 exam. the assignments and exams are due at the same time, but for each have 2 weeks to do so. I dont forsee a problem in this class. The last day of class, the last day available for the last exam/assignment, is May 6. I am due May 20. There is no "final". The first day available for the last exam/assignment is April 22.

I do wonders when teaching myself rather than sitting in a class, so I see no problem taking online classes. Also, as long as I am not stuck in the hospital, because of my personality, I will be doing the assignments/exam on the very first day available so that I can start with the next section.

All the other professors havent told me anything like this. Just simply, if I miss an exam due to the pregnancy, then to make sure I turn in documents stating so (basically a note from the DR) so that make-ups can be planned.

What would you do?

oh and also, classes start tomorrow. I have been trying to get into this class and just got in friday.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicole2884
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM
If you think you can do it go for it i just finished school with a woman due 10 days after an she made it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM

It's really up to you whether you think you can do it or not.  Good luck deciding!  =)

jesuschild06
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Thank you. I definately believe I can do it. I guess I was just thrown off by him basically telling me I should withdraw from the class now. 

Quoting nicole2884:

If you think you can do it go for it i just finished school with a woman due 10 days after an she made it

jesuschild06
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Thanks. I still want to take the class. Just super in shock he basically told me to drop the class now. I felt like he was telling me not to go to school at all this semester. 

Quoting Heather2001:

It's really up to you whether you think you can do it or not.  Good luck deciding!  =)

Victoriaoh
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I was pregnant all through fall semester. I took online classes. I was due December 27th. Classes ended December 14th. I had my baby December 22nd. It is definitely possible to go to school while pregnant, especially with online classes. I finished with a 4.0.
brittany208
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

If everything has to be done by May 6th and you aren't due until May 20th... then there should be no problem with you taking the class. Just make sure you get all your work done as soon as you can, especially towards the end.

brittany208
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I dont think he was trying to be rude by telling you to drop... but just recalling past experiences with women who were due DURING the semester, and noting that because so many women quit part way into the semester, they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by not enrolling. but YOU are due after the semester ends, so you are fine.

jesuschild06
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

i didnt neccessarily think he was being rude. and i understand why he told me that. i just found it a bit negative. like he was saying "other girls ended up dropping out so you might as well too BEFORE you get started." I guess its because of the pregnancy emotions. I know it has to be frusterating to grade things for students just to have them drop out and none of it had mattered. 

Quoting brittany208:

I dont think he was trying to be rude by telling you to drop... but just recalling past experiences with women who were due DURING the semester, and noting that because so many women quit part way into the semester, they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by not enrolling. but YOU are due after the semester ends, so you are fine.

chickensmommy
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Can you change to a different professor? This one is rude.

Quoting jesuschild06:

Thank you. I definately believe I can do it. I guess I was just thrown off by him basically telling me I should withdraw from the class now. 

Quoting nicole2884:

MariaGentle
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I am going to school too. My baby isn't due until August 31. I don't want to get behind because of missing class, so my husband and I decided to just have online classes next fall. With that being said, last semester a girl I went to school with went full time and had her baby at the end, put under bed rest and everything! And she still passed. She said it was because the teachers were so supportive and there for her. It doesn't sound like this teacher is going to be supportive and there for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured