Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Stay at home or keep working?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 42 Replies

I have the option of quitting my job after I have the baby. Do you guys think it would be better to be a stay at home mom or to keep working?

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM
4 moms liked this

It depends. Both are hard work. Being a SAHM is harder in some ways while being a working mom is harder in other ways. 

What are the pros/cons for you?

I'm all for being a stay at home mom, but it's not a choice that fits everyone.

Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I agree with this 100%. 

Quoting Pandapanda:

It depends. Both are hard work. Being a SAHM is harder in some ways while being a working mom is harder in other ways. 

Mommy2Emmau
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
It's all up to you.
I always knee I wanted to be a stay at home mom. Then after working at a preschool for 3 years and seeing how much time a lot of the kiddos were away from their parents and how disconnected some of the parents were from their children. It solidified my decision to raise my kids. It meant making a lot of changes and living with a lot less, but hubby and I were in agreement that it was worth it. Even more so now that we have two kids and I'm homeschooling the oldest. : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I really depends on what YOU want to do. Some moms can't imagine not being home with their LOs, some go crazy staying home. And there is always the option of working part-time, like I do. Or working on and off. Stay home for a couple weeks and see how you like it.

JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM
This.

I worked until my son was 11 months old, I was pregnant with #2 and decided then we would have to make it work and that I would stay home with our kids. That was in 2005 and I haven't looked back but it's not for everyone. It all depends on what you want.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tjane3000
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I worked the first year of ds life and always wished I could be a sahm. I have been a sahm now for 7mo and every day I wish I could go back to work! Lol I would only go back part time, but it would be nice to be needed as something other than a mother and wife. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my time with my son. I sometimes feel however that I lost a little part of my identity. Everyone is so different, there really isn't a right or wrong choice. You need to do what makes you happy. Happy parents = happy kids. Try both, if your able, and see what dynamic works best for your family :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MammaKoi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Depending on what works for you. Do you want to keep working or stay home? its your choice overall. I've been very lucky and been able to be home most of the time my boys have been growing up but with this baby it will have to be different. I have 3 kids to support not just the 2. 

Medusa686
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Stay home. I went back to work after my leave of absence and I totally regret it. I missed out on so much.  My ex mother in law watched our son and she experienced all of the new things that he did. Working FT I spent so little time with him. I don't even remember him prior to age 4. Its a shame. Stay home if you can afford to. Even if you can't afford it, think of things to get rid of or trim back expenses.  You won't regret it.

Mellissa1990
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm  a SAHM who home schools.  It is hard work.  You have to do something to keep your own identity.   You have to take care of yourself and not let yourself go.

Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I refuse to have someone else raise my kids so I chose to be a SAHM. There are pros and cons to each decision, both are hard work but in their own ways. You need to decide which would be better for you and your family.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)