Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone told big baby

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM
  • 34 Replies

Its really strange because this is my 5th and i should know this. My other babies have always been 7-8lbs. I had a level 2 us with this one with a new ob because my ds had major skull surgery at 3 months. they wanted to keep track just to be safe. This baby is a boy and 47% in growth, i had to go back for growth development at 28 weeks. i went back and he was huge...3 and a half pounds. Plus his one kidney is filled with fluid. With the weight its over 95% growth. these mashines are less than 6 months old and i was told best us place on the east coast(every 6 months they get the highest tech mashines when its released). Well i was talking to my ob about it and she was saying they think he is going to be a 10pound baby(no i dont have GD). She said if hes showing around 9 or above, she is not even letting me try to deliver the baby. I had 4 successful easy births but also had been told by my chiropractor that he was shocked i had such easy births because my hips were so small...Im not sure what to bring up to her, if i should let her induce me early to avoid csection or allow a trial labor with most possibility they will put me though a csection...if you cant tell csection is my worst fear. I am very against early inductions because i know babies are not fully developed until 40 weeks but i also know csection, though common, is dangerous and can cause health issues too with baby...its the first time i have even considered it...were you told you were going to expect a big baby to the point they want to csection if the baby gets so big...im 5'1btw and no their is no other obs in the area except my old one who never took me serious and didnt even suctioned the babys(my 4th) mouth out causeing mechonium in his lungs

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RunningMommaof2
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Yes, I was told the same thing and told that I had to consider a c-section If baby was over 10 lbs as well. I went to a midwife and got a second opinion, and they were willing to let me try to deliver so I switched practices at like 37 weeks. I know you said you don't have GD, but did you fail your first glucose test? Because I did, and they told me that even though I didn't qualify for GD... I still had a glucose intolerance. So, to avoid a 10lber I walked every day and paid very close attention to my sugar in take. Baby end up being 8lbs exactly. I always kind of knew that she would be around that weight though. I think it's important to ask yourself how big you think this baby will be... Because your gut will probably steer you in the right direction, and help you make this decision. My midwife had asked me how big I thought dd2 would be and I told he I thought she would be upper 7's or lower 8's and I was exactly right. She said women that have had multiple births tend to be in tune with these things ;) good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Honestly, I'd attempt vaginal birth before ever considering a c-section.  I'm a short person, 5' exactly.  My 4th was a 9lbs 5oz  and 22 3/8" long baby.  HUGE for ME.  I had no issues.  I'm expecting this baby to be smaller (she just feels smaller) but I would not be scared to birth a 10lbs baby.

chamelinmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:55 AM

No i passed my first glucose test with flying colors. i dont have any kind of soda in the house...honestly i cant really stand sodas too often. the only time i have a sugary drink would be a scoop in my hot red rasberry leaf tea. im not sure how big he will be. that is why i am considering if i can ask about early induction

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

Yes, I was told the same thing and told that I had to consider a c-section If baby was over 10 lbs as well. I went to a midwife and got a second opinion, and they were willing to let me try to deliver so I switched practices at like 37 weeks. I know you said you don't have GD, but did you fail your first glucose test? Because I did, and they told me that even though I didn't qualify for GD... I still had a glucose intolerance. So, to avoid a 10lber I walked every day and paid very close attention to my sugar in take. Baby end up being 8lbs exactly. I always kind of knew that she would be around that weight though. I think it's important to ask yourself how big you think this baby will be... Because your gut will probably steer you in the right direction, and help you make this decision. My midwife had asked me how big I thought dd2 would be and I told he I thought she would be upper 7's or lower 8's and I was exactly right. She said women that have had multiple births tend to be in tune with these things ;) good luck!

summerbear
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM
All 3 times they would look and ask if I had GD. I did not. They said baby #1 and #2 were going to be at least 10 1/2 pounds. They were 8.15 and 9.2 With ds #3) they said he was "huge", at least 11 pounds. He was 8.6 I had all 3 vaginally and #1 and #3 were without any pain meds. Those late scans can be off by 2 pounds or more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Yes, they told me that too. I passed the glucose tests with flying colors. All through my pregnancy, my fundus was measuring small, till I got to about 38 weeks. At that u/s, the tech told me that I was going to have a 9 lber. I was freaking out! My OB started to make me afraid of things like shoulder distocia and told me horror stories of all the things that could go wrong. I agreed to an induction at 40w2d. The induction failed because after 3 hours of being at 5 cm and him not dropping, she told me I needed a c section. I just kept agreeing with her-it was my first time, I didnt know any better. My son, bless his heart was 11 lbs 6 oz when he was born! HUGE!!! About 60 percent of me thinks that the induction was the reason for the c section. 40 percent of me wonders if it was his size, but the fact is, I never let my body do its thing for very long, so I will never know! This time around, Im going for a vbac and this little man is measuring big already. at my 32w5d aappt, he was already 6 lbs! :-) Im depending on my body this time. I will go till 42 weeks with NO INDUCTION. If nothing has happened by then, I'll take it as a sign that he's not going to manage and I'll just get a c section again. :-) Good luck! I think since you've already had so many vaginal births without induction, trust your body! I wouldnt get induced. There is a greater link between c section and induction. YOU CAN DO THIS! Plus, what happens if the u/s measurements are wrong and he's like 7 lbs 8 oz or something? :-( Your body knows what its doing. :-)

Larsbug
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I was told DS1 would be a large baby, over 10 lbs based on what ultrasound said... so they were a little worried about me (did an induction, for many reasons including this, which failed) and when he came out he was 6 lbs 9 oz. I don't trust ultrasound for weight, at all. DS2 was suppose to be small, ultrasound weighed him at 5 lbs 10 oz...he was 7 lbs 1 oz

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I was told my first was almost 10 lbs. She was 7 lb 1 oz. Don't trust ultrasound measurements lol.

babyspots17
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
You have had 4 other average size babies without complications why would you even worry this time? Your body is obviously more than capable of birthing a baby vaginally a bigger baby is just a little more chub that will squish coming out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My baby was ten pounds. She was. Y first.

They thought she was around seven pounds and that she would be too large for me to birth vginally. 

I had her at 41 weeks, 3 days at home... Everyting was fine.

I would go see a midwife, andhonestly, i would go with a natural vaginal beore id ever consider induction or cesarian. If they induceyou, you are far more likely to be sectioned. If the risks arent worth it toyou, dont get induced unless you absolutely have to.

louzannalady
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

This is what you need to print and take to her. Tell her that she needs to practice ACOG guidelines on suspected fetal macrosomia! Below is the link to the ACOG statement on suspected fetal macrosomia and below that are some of the major points.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0701/p169.html

"Weighing the newborn after delivery is the only way to accurately diagnose macrosomia [big baby], because the prenatal diagnostic methods (assessment of maternal risk factors, clinical examination and ultrasonographic measurement of the fetus) remain imprecise." This means that there is NO WAY of knowing how much baby will weigh until he or she is weighed after birth!

"Nonetheless, the results of these reports, along with published cost-effectiveness data, do not support prophylactic cesarean delivery for suspected fetal macrosomia with estimated weights of less than 5,000 g (11 lb), although some authors agree that cesarean delivery in these situations should be considered." This means, c-section should not even come up for discussion, unless the is estimated to weigh more than eleven pounds and it is debatable whether a c-section for a estimated baby over eleven is even beneficial.

"Suspected fetal macrosomia is not an indication for induction of labor, because induction does not improve maternal or fetal outcomes." Inducing should not happen, becuase it is not safer for mom or baby. 

"Labor and vaginal delivery are not contraindicated for women with estimated fetal weights up to 5,000 g in the absence of maternal diabetes." A baby estimated to be ELEVEN pounds or less is not a reason to attempt to deliver vaginally. 

"With an estimated fetal weight more than 4,500 g, a prolonged second stage of labor or arrest of descent in the second stage is an indication for cesarean delivery." It is safe to have a trial of labor and if it doesn't work THEN take action. 

"Suspected fetal macrosomia is not a contraindication to attempted vaginal birth after a previous cesarean delivery."You can still VBAC with a "big baby"!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)