Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What in the world and why?!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 11 Replies
Don't mock me if the answer is obvious because this is my first pregnancy/baby and I'm mostly clueless. Pre apologies for a long post. Very long post.

Back story: I'm due between January 20 & February 4. I have been given conflicting information and I'm not sure which to believe but I usually stick to February 4 because it was the first date given to me after an ultrasound. (Although they did say I was only 3 weeks along and what they showed me was just a very small black dot so who knows.) My husband and I have always just stuck to "she'll come when she comes. Due date or not." It makes things less worrisome. At 34 weeks (using February 4) I went into preterm labor and had to spend days in the hospital on terrible devil medicine. It's awful; I don't reccomended it. And things have been slightly hectic since then.

The point of this post: Two weeks ago, I started having pelvic pressure. Nothing big, just like I had a full bladder or something. I figured it's just because she's low and pushing on my bones. Then, out of nowhere one night, everything went terrible. The pressure intensified, no position I got into helped ease it, and it spread a bit into my hips. I was enormously uncomfortable until I finally drifted to sleep. When I woke up, it was all gone like it hadn't happened at all. A few days went by without incident and then baby started kicking HARD out of nowhere all day long. She normally kicks good (mostly at night but never painful) but these kicks and punches HURT. I had two days of that then the third night, the pressure in my pelvis and hips returned and had spread into my back. It was all down and out, I kept imagining the bottom half of my abdomen splitting open like a banana. Same as before, no position helped and it lasted until I drifted off to sleep and when I woke up, all was well. Enter last night, feeling fine all day with nothing exciting to speak of. Out of nothingness, The pressure comes back. Not as bad as the last two times, but it was back. Until I stepped into the shower. The pressure turned into stabbing pain. Not just in my pelvis, but also in my vagina. With intermittent pressure in my back. It wasn't enough to take my breath away or bring me to my knees, but I did have to breathe through it and make some faces. Once I got out of the shower, I layed in bed and felt just a tiny bit better until it got worse. The pain turned back to pressure, baby started kicking so hard it hurt, and my back started hurting. I layed there and tried to breathe through it while my husband held me but it was starting to get to the point that I felt like my lungs couldn't hold enough air. Then it would fade away and come back and peak and fade away again. I got kind of excited, thinking maybe my baby was coming. Ten minutes in, I had to pee. When I got up, I realized my back hurt so bad, I couldn't stand up straight. My husband had to help me take the ten steps to the bathroom while I was hunched over like a 90 year old scoliosis patient. I had to stop every two steps to get a breath and will myself forward. It took two full minutes to go ten steps. Once I got back in bed, the waves came back but I managed to drift off. The pain in my pelvis got so bad at one point in the night that I could feel it in my dream until it woke me up. When I fell back asleep, I slept all through the night.

No labor, no water breaking, no baby. And today, I feel almost none of what I felt last night.

Extra information: I'm dilated to about 4 cm (as of last Wednesday), every few days, I have thick, snotty discharge that my doctor has told me is my mucus plug gradually falling out, and as of today, I am 37 weeks.

And now back to the subject: what in the world and why is all this? Am I dying to death or are these things normal? And does it mean I'll go into labor soon?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandy1017
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Ouch!! Ive felt most of what you have been feeling but not too that extent... Im not sure what it is, Im calling my OB today to see if I can get an earlier appointment... I do suggest calling your OB, maybe he/she can see if your dialating or having contractions? Heres a bump! Good luck!

imjustme28
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM

sorry hun, but that sound like labor to me! u may want to get checked. u dont want those pains going without being seen eventually.

kalie691
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

At first it sounded like braxton hicks contractions, which can be very similar to actual labor, but if you moved around and it kept on keeping on then it's probably real labor. That being said, you can be in labor a while before anything happens. My aunt labored with my cousin for 8 days being at only 2 cm before she finally progressed and had my cousin. Not that I wish that on you, I just think what gals expect nowadays is that you go into labor and within 24 hours you have a beautifully wrapped pink or blue thing in your arms and youre ready for pictures.

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I have an appointment this Wednesday and I'm going to mention everything then. Every time I go in, my doctor tells me basically, I'm doing well and don't read too much into anything until there's blood or my water breaks. (because I'm absolutely set on a natural birth and the hospital I'm delivering at isn't the best at that so she wants me to wait out as much as I can)
So I'm just kind of twiddling my thumbs, waiting for big things to happen.

I just haven't heard of anyone feeling terrible at night then fine for days.

Quoting imjustme28:

sorry hun, but that sound like labor to me! u may want to get checked. u dont want those pains going without being seen eventually.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

A lot of that sounds totally normal for end of pregnancy. You might benefit from an adjustment by a chiropractor though. Your pelvis could be out of alignment causing a lot of the pain. The back pain sounds like baby is probably posterior, you want her facing your back not facing your front. To fix this you can spend a lot of time on your hands and knees with your forehead to the floor. 

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I've heard of being in labor for a few days but never over a week. That sounds awful. Your aunt must be a very strong lady.
I hope I'm not going to be in labor for that long. I'm a terrible whiner. Lol.

Quoting kalie691:

At first it sounded like braxton hicks contractions, which can be very similar to actual labor, but if you moved around and it kept on keeping on then it's probably real labor. That being said, you can be in labor a while before anything happens. My aunt labored with my cousin for 8 days being at only 2 cm before she finally progressed and had my cousin. Not that I wish that on you, I just think what gals expect nowadays is that you go into labor and within 24 hours you have a beautifully wrapped pink or blue thing in your arms and youre ready for pictures.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Waiting for blood or water breaking is ridiculous. I've had one natural birth and one induction and never had my water break on it's own or bleeding until baby was coming out. 

I usually had pretty bad butt and back contractions pick up at night during the last weeks of my last pregnancy. It's because your body is relaxed so things get started. Labor can start and stop and be a process that lasts for weeks. 

Quoting Mrsfarr:

I have an appointment this Wednesday and I'm going to mention everything then. Every time I go in, my doctor tells me basically, I'm doing well and don't read too much into anything until there's blood or my water breaks. (because I'm absolutely set on a natural birth and the hospital I'm delivering at isn't the best at that so she wants me to wait out as much as I can)

Quoting imjustme28:

kalie691
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Me too!!! I only got to 6 cm and I could not take it one minute longer and got my epidural. I guess my mom kept taking my aunt back to the hospital but they just sent her home time and time again. My mom said the last time she got kinda scared of my aunt when she freaked out on the nurse and said she was going nowhere and they were getting that baby out of there. They had her admitted and induced within the hour.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

I've heard of being in labor for a few days but never over a week. That sounds awful. Your aunt must be a very strong lady.

Quoting kalie691:

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM
It's not a direct quote.
She's mentioned a lot about blood or my water breaking because they're both pretty much indicators of things moving quickly and I've already dilated so much so soon.
She said my water breaking might not happen but if my contractions are consistant at 2-3 minutes apart, I should come in for that too.
I'm just a terrible paraphraser.
My thing is just "am I normal?" because the whole start/stop process is the worst. I get excited and wake up with nothing.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Waiting for blood or water breaking is ridiculous. I've had one natural birth and one induction and never had my water break on it's own or bleeding until baby was coming out. 

I usually had pretty bad butt and back contractions pick up at night during the last weeks of my last pregnancy. It's because your body is relaxed so things get started. Labor can start and stop and be a process that lasts for weeks. 

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting imjustme28:

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Ahk! Medications are my biggest fear.
I absolutely hate sounding all judgemental and terrible because it's not my intention at all but the way I see things is people have given birth without any need for medications for eons and what kind of terrible person would I be I'd I was like "I can't handle giving birth to my own child, make it feel better."
Just me. I know other people believe whole heartedly in epidurals and whatnot but that's their thing. As long as you're not injecting like heroin or whatever, it's ok.
I'd probably be scared of your aunt too. I've seen animal planet. I know what happens when you mess with a momma animal..

Quoting kalie691:

Me too!!! I only got to 6 cm and I could not take it one minute longer and got my epidural. I guess my mom kept taking my aunt back to the hospital but they just sent her home time and time again. My mom said the last time she got kinda scared of my aunt when she freaked out on the nurse and said she was going nowhere and they were getting that baby out of there. They had her admitted and induced within the hour.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Quoting kalie691:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)