Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our l&d experience

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 19 Replies
4 moms liked this
We started labor Saturday night and went to the hospital at around one am. I wasn't dilated much so we went to walk around the hospital/ outside and came back up to l&d after about 3 hours where I was checked again and was at 2 cm. we would have gone home but we live an hour from the hospital where we are delivering, so my midwife told them to go ahead and admit me.

I have to say that all my fears of hospital birthing have so far been completely unfounded. When we got there the first time, the nurse recognized my name and remembered that I had a birth plan in my file and was already familiar with the basics... Before she ever met me or knew I was coming in that morning! The rest of the nursing staff we dealt with over the next 30 hours we spent there were equally as supportive of my plans to birth naturally and without pushing things. Even when we stalled at 3 cm for several hours, we weren't pushed or pressured into ANYTHING! Pitocen was never even mentioned. The mw suggested an enema which I agreed to, and we monitored for a bit after that. No results so the nurse offered to bring in a breast pump since my birth plan included nipple stimulation and I had forgotten my manual pump. No results really but still... I was amazed that they offered!

I was required to have fifteen minutes of monitoring at a time with one hour breaks in between and was free to roam the hospital and premises as long as I didn't take any of their equipment out of the hospital doors. My children and our parents were made to feel welcome and we were basically left alone to experience labor as we pleased.
I even had a nurse sit in a chair in my room and chat with me about our plans, pregnancy in general, her considering a home birth and our decisions to birth there at the hospital instead, etc. her exact words on pitocen: "I'm grateful pitocen exists, but it is certainly overused. I don't blame you for not wanting it, I wouldn't either".
This was after about 16 hours of consistent contractions at 3 minute intervals and virtually zero progress. They STILL didn't push for induction. My mw discharged us this morning and said to come back if my water breaks or if I start hurting really badly again. No pressure and a new appointment set for this Thursday when I'll be 41 weeks.

This got long but I wanted to share my experience with anyone who is unsettled about their birth choices. If you search and make some sacrifices, you may be able to find the ideal birth where you least expect it :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmmaZate
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM
It's really awesome that they are making sure you get the birthing experience you want! Some people don't have the option or even know better, so you're lucky.
lulu_tattoos
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I really do feel lucky! We were pretty certain that we would have a good experience there but what went down this weekend sealed it!

In my own city we have a "bigger better" hospital and people from surrounding areas come here. I delivered my oldest there and had a terrible experience. Then watching friends and family have babies there, I knew not much had changed. So I looked into other options and eventually settled on the hospital we're using, about an hour from home and in a small town. I switched from my ob to a cnm who delivers there and couldn't be happier with how things have been since! It's amazing how BAD one pregnancy experience can be and then how GOOD another can be, based on the choice you make in your prenatal care.

Quoting EmmaZate:

It's really awesome that they are making sure you get the birthing experience you want! Some people don't have the option or even know better, so you're lucky.
louzannalady
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this

*hug* I am so thrilled you ended up at a hospital with a supportive staff! : ) That makes a world of difference!!!! : ) 

JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM
That sounds like an awesome hospital! I'm glad you found it! I wish I could have had one like that.
Pandapanda
by Amber on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM

So glad they sent you home! It's always so nice to know that there are providers who know that if it's not time, it's not time. 

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Wow!! That is great!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad to hear that you had a good experience. Hopefully the rest of your labor (when it happens) goes as smooth =0)

1wildchild
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great that the staff was so supportive of your plans.

lulu_tattoos
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Yup! She offered the option of breaking my water after I had been at 3 for a while but completely understood when I said no thanks and didn't press the issue. The only thing she was adamant about was that we not go home in the inclement weather, for fear we wouldn't make it back in time. And I wasn't thrilled about staying but I understood and decided to go with her advice on it.

Quoting Pandapanda:

So glad they sent you home! It's always so nice to know that there are providers who know that if it's not time, it's not time. 

lulu_tattoos
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I never would have known this place was so awesome until I started asking people about their experiences there. I had looked into "the farm" (in Tennessee, decided its too far) and home birthing and birthing centers (none close enough) and hospitals in Nashville.... Finally I posted in FB asking people to share their l&d experiences at this one and got several replies, a couple from people who didn't love it there but by what they said I could tell that everything they hated were things I would appreciate.

Word of mouth can be tricky but if enough people say the same things, I start to believe it lol.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

That sounds like an awesome hospital! I'm glad you found it! I wish I could have had one like that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)