Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you still get an epi if you had to pay out of pocket for it? Added one more question

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 55 Replies

Just curious. I'm not really passionate about what other women decide to do for pain during labor. I've had an epi myself.

A lot of hospitals in my state have a high rate of epi anesthesia. Hey, to each their own. But I wonder if less women would agree to it, if insurance never covered it and they had to pay...lets say $500...for it out of pocket. Lets assume that the hospital would provide a very flexible payment plan. 

What about an elective inductions or elective scheduled cesareans? Do you think less women would be opting for these options if insurance companies decided they would not pay ONLY if it has been deemed medically necessary?

As for me, I most likely would not take the epi (even if it was free). But I have had some headaches where I'd be willing to pay $100 for some Motrins, if (God forbid) that were ever the case lol.

ADDED QUESTION: If you are willing to pay,  what is the most you would be willing to pay?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I sure would lol.

FrancineSmith
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

What would be your cutoff amount?

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I sure would lol.

lulu_tattoos
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM
I'm going epi-free this time. But with my previous two births I would have paid out the ass for that relief. They were both pit-labors and completely excruciating.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Honestly it would have to be pretty steep. I have had one with both kids and I just can't see myself birthing without one.

Quoting FrancineSmith:

What would be your cutoff amount?

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I sure would lol.

Mazie0723
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Yep my insurance with my youngest dd didn't cover it and it was about $200 for just the meds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I WOULD have to pay out of pocket for it if I had one... and no, I wouldn't pay. And I wouldn't get one even if it were free. Even if they paid me.

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never get an epidural anyway. I prefer health/safety, so I choose not to take unnecessary risks.

FrancineSmith
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM

That's actually not that bad. I'm sure the anesthesiologist cost an arm and a leg though lol

Quoting Mazie0723:

Yep my insurance with my youngest dd didn't cover it and it was about $200 for just the meds.

norahsmommy
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM
I did not get any pain medication with my second because we lost our insurance and we could not afford extra on the bill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrancineSmith
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM

That is my preference for this upcoming birth too. I guess I should have found a way to include non-epi moms in this post.

Quoting Pandapanda:

I would never get an epidural anyway. I prefer health/safety, so I choose not to take unnecessary risks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)