Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy and the Flu.

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

I just spent yesterday and some of today with what I think was the stomach flu!

I went out to eat Saturday with SO family and around 6am I started throwing up blahhh. Well, I got sick 3 more times before waking SO up to go to the hospital. Luckily my twins were with their dad! Well, they gave me an IV and anti nausea medicine and sent me home. Oh and they told me I had a UTI which I have meds for now I didn't even know it!

So I came home and SO called off to take care of me I slept off and on all night and still felt feverish this morning but not sick. I told my twins dad to keep them for the day so I have been resting but what I find funny is the baby has been SUPER active the whole time I was sick and I am so glad it was because I only went  to the ER because I have another little person in me to think about! Otherwise I would have stuck it out and delt with it.

I didn't get a flu shot this year but I am going to now!!! Anyone else have the flue during their pregnancy?

I had a bad flu with my twins but I never went to the ER with them I could barely move I slept for 3 days and woke up feeling better.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Amber on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

The stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is not influenza. They're two totally different illnesses. It sounds like you have some mild food poisoning. 

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Also, the insert that comes in the packaging with the flu vaccine says that there's no evidence that proves the vaccine lowers the odds of getting the flu. So you'd basically be injecting yourself with mercury while pregnant with no guarantee that it would prevent you from getting sick. 

AND.. the flu that's going around this year is a strain that the current vaccine does not include, so it would be pointless anyway.

jackieb2811
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Oh haha good to know!! The hospital never even said anything about it. My SO had the same meal I did we both got fish sandwhiches but he didn't get sick. I just figured it was maybe a 24 hour flu.

Quoting Pandapanda:

The stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is not influenza. They're two totally different illnesses. It sounds like you have some mild food poisoning. 

livingrlovesong
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I had the swine flu when my son was born. That wasnt fun. I even had the flu shot. I typically dont get it. But I will If I get this job because its required by the hospital. I dont mind either way.

jackieb2811
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I knew that about the vaccine I just keep hearing from others it is best to do and my OB keeps saying I should so I feel sort of pressured to get it. Which is why I said from the start I don't want it. Why would doctors recommend getting a shot with Mercury in it when that is already said to be toxic to pregnant women?! Geesh!

Quoting Pandapanda:

Also, the insert that comes in the packaging with the flu vaccine says that there's no evidence that proves the vaccine lowers the odds of getting the flu. So you'd basically be injecting yourself with mercury while pregnant with no guarantee that it would prevent you from getting sick. 

AND.. the flu that's going around this year is a strain that the current vaccine does not include, so it would be pointless anyway.

jackieb2811
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Oh my! Glad you and him are ok! I do not see the point in getting the flu shot but SO and my twins all got one this year. But my twins hardly ever get sick because when they do I try to not give them any medicines so their body fights it off. I do the same I don't care much for taking medication if it isn't needed this is the first time I have been that sick since I was pregnant with them!

Quoting livingrlovesong:

I had the swine flu when my son was born. That wasnt fun. I even had the flu shot. I typically dont get it. But I will If I get this job because its required by the hospital. I dont mind either way.

livingrlovesong
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Yea thankfully we both are ok! I went to the hospital because of how sick I was, had a few contractions but didnt think much of it. They hooked me up to the monitor and checked me and I was at a 6. My little 8lbs booger was sideways, and they couldnt get him to turn. I wanted the Epi at that point, but Im glad I was unable to.

Quoting jackieb2811:

Oh my! Glad you and him are ok! I do not see the point in getting the flu shot but SO and my twins all got one this year. But my twins hardly ever get sick because when they do I try to not give them any medicines so their body fights it off. I do the same I don't care much for taking medication if it isn't needed this is the first time I have been that sick since I was pregnant with them!

Quoting livingrlovesong:

jackieb2811
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM

That is the only reason I went to the hopsital I was throwing up and I could feel how it was straining my stomach and I was worried that it would put me into early labor which terrified me since I am only 21w6days! Was he early?

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Yea thankfully we both are ok! I went to the hospital because of how sick I was, had a few contractions but didnt think much of it. They hooked me up to the monitor and checked me and I was at a 6. My little 8lbs booger was sideways, and they couldnt get him to turn. I wanted the Epi at that point, but Im glad I was unable to.

Quoting jackieb2811:

Quoting livingrlovesong:

HamBergerMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Getting over the flu here. I was flat in bed with fever and chills /cough sat and Sunday.

Now a nasty respiratory sounding cough and congestion. It's the pits. I didn't head in since my temp never spiked higher than 101.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackieb2811
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I was just throwing up and had a slight fever and chills and very achy! Hope you feel better soon!!!

Quoting HamBergerMama:

Getting over the flu here. I was flat in bed with fever and chills /cough sat and Sunday.

Now a nasty respiratory sounding cough and congestion. It's the pits. I didn't head in since my temp never spiked higher than 101.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)