Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I expect if I am induced??

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM
  • 34 Replies

Just want to be as prepared and informed as possible in case I need to be induced this coming friday for low aminotic fluid levels. What should I expect? Anything helps! Definately wasnt my plan but if it needs to happen for my lil man to be safe then thats what needs to happen.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot more pain...thats all I remember **shudders**. The plus side is it REALLY speeds things up

I tore as well, but Im not sure it that was the epi or pitocen

lulu_tattoos
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends on the method of induction. I have experience with pitocen induction and it wasn't pleasant. Constant monitoring, being confined to the bed, and an immediate and drastic increase in the pain of my contractions. I was 41 weeks and my pitocen labor STILL lasted from the drip starting at 7 am to delivery at 11:34 pm.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jess21608
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Oh boy! Im unsure what the method would be  I assume pitocin..havent heard to many wonderful stories about it which kinda makes me sad..It took my hubby and I a long time to concieve this little miracle I just wanted to try an enjoy birth as much as possible I dont want to just remember the pain, in the end a healthy happy baby is the most important thing I will just have to remember that.

FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Have them only break your water first and see where it goes from there. After they broke mine I dilated from a 5 to a 10 in a half hour. No pitocin needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulu_tattoos
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM
If you have started to dilate AT ALL, you do have some other options before resorting to the pit drip. And you might talk to your provider about trying cervadil to help you dilate. If you're more comfortable with that med. if you can dilate to a three you might have the option of having your water broken at that point. This comes with risks, of course, but those just have to be weighed against the risks of pitocen. Talk to your provider about pre-emptive options to get things rolling without pitocen if you're feeling cautious about it.

When I started labor this weekend and then stalled, we tried an enema and then a breast pump to pick things up. Didn't work, but I felt better about trying those things first.

Quoting Jess21608:

Oh boy! Im unsure what the method would be  I assume pitocin..havent heard to many wonderful stories about it which kinda makes me sad..It took my hubby and I a long time to concieve this little miracle I just wanted to try an enjoy birth as much as possible I dont want to just remember the pain, in the end a healthy happy baby is the most important thing I will just have to remember that.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jess21608
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

If you have started to dilate AT ALL, you do have some other options before resorting to the pit drip. And you might talk to your provider about trying cervadil to help you dilate. If you're more comfortable with that med. if you can dilate to a three you might have the option of having your water broken at that point. This comes with risks, of course, but those just have to be weighed against the risks of pitocen. Talk to your provider about pre-emptive options to get things rolling without pitocen if you're feeling cautious about it.

When I started labor this weekend and then stalled, we tried an enema and then a breast pump to pick things up. Didn't work, but I felt better about trying those things first.

Quoting Jess21608:

Good to know! I didnt know there were lots of options. I dunno if it means anything but I have already lost all or pretty much all of my mucus plug and he is very low they could tell on the ultrasound today and I was like yeah I know I can feel him...so maybe I am diliated. My OB told me she normally doesnt check till your actually in labor.

bellasmom32510
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I had something put on my cervix first, before pitocin. It only starts labor in a small percentage of women but I happened to be one of the lucky few who did. I was started on that at 11pm and then 6am they started the pitocin. My water was broken about 1pm and by 4pm I was at 9cm but DD was sunnyside up and stuck on my pelvis. They tried for 2 hours to rotate her but it didn't work so at 6pm I had a c-section. I was induced 2 weeks early due to pre-e.

Jess21608
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

Have them only break your water first and see where it goes from there. After they broke mine I dilated from a 5 to a 10 in a half hour. No pitocin needed.

that idea sounds much better!

MrS.GiFFord
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Pain.....so much pain. lol good luck!

Jess21608
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

lol!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)