Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vbacs

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  • 8 Replies
Have you ever had a vbac is it safe? Had to have one with my first dd cause her heart beat dropped really low during contractions so Dr said need to do c section. Well w my 2nd dds same Dr went on and had me to do aanother c section cause I had to get one w my 1st child we'll we moved and will not be using the same Dr my first apt w him is in three weeks. Any experiences will b helpful cause I have always want to have all my kids natural and hoping this time it can be.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Amycapl
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

go to the group "VBAC Moms"... tons of helpful information there!  you CAN have a safe and helathy VBAC! even after 2 sections :)

clowery
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you I diff will b looking into the group!! :)
doulala
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this

A vbac will usually be much safer than a repeat cesarean.       Always safer than an elective repeat cesarean!     ;-)

We usually have to start with considering who we hire for our maternity care.   The provider can be our greatest risk factor.  

A lot to consider before moving forward--     imo, it is really worth learning about when a cesarean is truly necessary and about the risks with the technology and care model we are using.    I say this just because so many women do have unnecessary cesareans and it's really worth learning when to choose one or not, and why, of course.  

If you hire a high-risk doctor/surgeon then you are much more likely to be told you need a cesarean (just for the reason of who you have hired alone).       By not hiring this type of provider will reduce overall risks to start.
How far along are you now?

LOTS you can do here, loads to discuss!!

fancyjane
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm a VBAC mom. smile This baby will be my third VBAC. For me, I knew I wasn't done after my first c-section and didn't really feel done when the next baby was coming along. VBACs are much safer when you intend to have more babies. 

I contacted my local chapter of ICAN and found out the best provider in the area for me. I scheduled a consult with them. In my mind, I had simply decided that I would not have another c-section without a valid second opinion. Met with the doctor (my first 2 VBACs were with an OB), asked him all my questions. Had him look over my current pregnancy chart, surgical report from my c-section, and my charts from previous pregnancies. I wanted him to see the full picture. He encouraged me to try for a VBAC. He gave me the statistics and the reasons he thought VBAC would be a better choice for me, especially given that we were not done having children yet. I did my research. I decided VBAC was the right choice for me. And I went on to have a very straighforward, uneventful VBAC. 

Given where I am now, this pregnancy would be so much different for me had I not hopped off the c-section train when I did. For one, this would be my 4th c-section, which gets us into the major complications area. (Namely placenta accretia.) I'd be high risk this time around. I'd be seeing both a perinatologist and an OB. I'd already have the date this baby would be born on my calendar. We'd likely be having the "tubes tied" discussion for the 3rd time with the doctors. (They tried to pressure me into having them tied for my 1st baby post c-section.) We'd be going AMA because my old OB had told me that they would not support me beyond 3 c-sections. Instead, I'm having the most chill pregnancy ever. I'm with a group of homebirth midwives, seeing only a back up OB for a consult for him to provide emergency back up care should something happen. My risks in terms of uterine rupture are the lowest for this pregnancy than any VBAC. No one is pressuring me to be done, I can come to that on my own. I am not high risk. I'm just hanging out having a healthy uncomplicated pregnancy. 

I am glad that I chose what I did for myself. I am glad I found a supportive provider who believed that women should be fully informed and make decisions based on actual information and not just do as they are told. 

clowery
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Okay so here is another question. What if no one IBM my area supports a vba2c n my area? Been foinf research online before my first appt on Feb 1st and can't seem to find anything about my area supports them and on a chart a few years back showed the hospital won't allow it cause there in not a blood bank here all other cities are a lot smaller and I live in paragould ar. So if anyone knows who is supportive would b greatly appreciated if I know who other hospitals are over 30 mins away and. Ans if it does come to know one wanting me to do a vbac cause I had 2 csection then what? My hubby already told me if the Dr says no then no:( but I really want to have a reg birth....
clowery
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM
O and there is no ican near my area the nearest is at least over a 2 hrs drive..
fancyjane
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM

The closest ICAN chapter will still be able to point you in the direction of the care providers to check out. I know where we are, there are women who sometimes drive quite a long way to VBAC. We've got women from 3hours (once it was something like 6hours) to get to a supportive provider. The theory being that vaginal birth is much easier on the mom, so the inconvenience of a slightly longer drive is well worth it. (I drove 1 hour 15 minutes for my first 2 VBACs.) (I drove over 2 hours for my c-section. We lived in a very rural area, and that was the closet hospital for delivery.)

Does your local ICAN chapter have a forum? If not, just get the contact info of the chapter president and call or e-mail them for info. You don't have to go to meetings to pick their brains. :)

Quoting clowery:

O and there is no ican near my area the nearest is at least over a 2 hrs drive..

07lilmama1108
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I had a VBAC, my dd was breech. With ds, they looked at my surgery paperwork to determine cause and type of cut. Also how long ago.. whether you went into labor on you own... but i was so pleased with my VBAC!! My dr kept telling me the risk of rupture (it goes up 0.01% for c section mamas) but I've heard of mothers having a VBA3C! Keep looking, pushing, asking!! My dh was against a VBAC (still is) but it was an amazing birth for me! Are you in the VBAC group?? Theres a lot of helpful information there!! Good luck!! I hope you get it!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)