Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How do you pick your pediatrician?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm just curious. I have an appointment set up next tuesday with who my midwife suggested, but I'm not sure what to ask or anything. I mean, when I see doctors myself, I just see them and base my decision on them then. If i don't like them, I leave. I've never had a "get to know the doctor" meeting.

So what should I ask or look for in this meeting?

pregnancy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:40 AM
Replies (11-16):
louzannalady
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I only go to a pedi who honors our right to informed consent and refusal and who is not going to criticize the biologically sound practices of breast feeding or bed sharing (ideally, he or she would not ask about the latter, as that is a parenting choice and not a health care issue) or leaving all of our children's sexual organs intact. Oh and they must be as AT LEAST as up to date as I am on infant nutrition! (Not recommending solids until six months or later!)

mkmommy0406
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Easy! I'm one of his nurses!! I trust him completely, he's been in practice here for over 30 years. As soon as his Medicaid load gets a few openings, there are tons of people waiting to get in. We even have other md's in our practice so we can accept more patients. He and his wife are two of the most caring people I've ever met!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FelixFelicis
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I clung to the first one that said "I'm not going to tell you to stop breastfeeding, breast is best. No questions there." instead of "You should switch to formula." She was breastfeeding her 22 month old when my youngest was born. You can tell she's in it for the children instead of the money.

Cynthje
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:17 PM

we don't have a ped but we all use the same family dr, he is perfect for us! He also attended my births so hes known the kids since they were conceived basically.

tms2008
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM
My kids' pediatrician is the pediatrician I went to as a kid. It's actually a married couple who have their own practice and my kids see the wife. I saw the husband when I was younger but they're both great doctors.
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Ours happened to be the on call pedi at the hospital our son was born in, and we liked him so much we've been seeing him 4+ years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN