Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Question about CONTRACTIONS. For moms who have 3 or more kids....

Posted by   + Show Post

Did your Braxton Hicks contractions start sooner with each pregnancy? I am just wondering because I am 19 weeks with my 5th baby and yesterday afternoon (after walking on the treadmill) I started to have some tightening, cramping and my belly was getting really hard.... contractions. So I tried to rest, drank more water, waited an hour and then I called my OB's office because they still hadn't stopped. They told me if they didn't ease up in an hour or so, go in to the ER to get checked out. So by 7 pm, it still wasn't any better so I went to the ER.That was a waste of time. The doctor didn't even touch me... didn't feel my belly or anything. He ordered an ultrasound (not vaginal) and did blood work and urine tests. Everything came back good. BUT they never checked my cervix and they didn't do a vaginal ultrasound... so how can they say EVERYTHING is fine. I could have been starting to dilate or something and they wouldn't know. So then today I followed up at my OB's office.

I saw a different doctor than I normally do because my regular doc was delivering babies, one of the others was out of town and the other was on vacation. So there were only 2 in the office ... an OB and a PA. So I had to see the only available OB, who I don't really like. He said he could check my cervix if I wanted to just to make sure but he said that it was most likely BH contractions and perfectly normal. I was still having them all throughout the day today. That doesn't seem normal to me.... BH for a continuous 24 hours?! I thought they might do a vaginal ultrasound to check cervical length but he didn't mention it and I didn't ask. And I didn't let him check my cervix because that can get things irritated even more and he didn't seem too concerned so I didn't think it was necessary. He really only offered to do it to give me peace of mind, I think.

So anyway... at that point they had let up quite a bit. So I went to the store, picked my oldest up at school, came home and started making dinner and what do you know.... THEY'RE BACK! Cramping and tightening again. This SUCKS. I am so worried ... yet if I go to the ER or call my OB, they're just gonna tell me everything is fine. When I was at the doctor's office earlier, he said if they came back and progressively got WORSE, to call them. And he said something like it's not REAL contractions unless they are 5 minutes apart ... blah blah blah. But ... correct me if I'm wrong... if I start having them 5 minutes apart, isn't it kind of late to do anything at that point?! I would think they would have done a vaginal ultrasound to check my cervix. I don't understand why they didn't. When I was pregnant with my twins, they did that quite often because I have a history of pre-term labor.

So what do you all think? I don't wanna keep bugging them for nothing... but I can't stop worrying about it. I've never had BH this early. Not even with the twins.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Replies (11-14):
livingrlovesong
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM

With my 3rd Braxton Hicks started between 16-19 weeks. They lasted a day or two or sometimes even a week at a time. They were of course never regular or anything. They just came and went. Im 11 weeks with baby #4, and I am pretty sure I started feeling them again last night. A lot of cramping and some lower belly tightening. But they have stopped. I personally drank a lot of water, took a warm bubble bath, and rested. Good luck!

MammaKoi
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I would still keep on it cause you know your body better than anyone else does really and if you feel off they NEED to listen so make them listen or seek a differnt obgyn. I had issues about 19wks as well and by 26wks I was 70% effaced and 3 centimeters and had gone into preterm labor twice. I was 32wks when I had my son. 

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Yes they started earlier with each. With my 5th pregnancy they started at 15 weeks. My doc said it was fine unless my back started to hurt or I was getting more than a certain number an hour ( can't remember the number). I started getting them more than I should whenever I'd do too much physical stuff so I spent alot of my pregnancy sitting down with a glass of water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM

DD1-no BH's, no contractions till labor was induced.

DD2-BH's started at 28wks, contractions started at 30wks

DD3-no BH's and no contractions till the day she was born.

DD4-congrats almost every night (from about 1am-5am) from 36w till the day she was born (40w 1d). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN