Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

To be induced or not...MORE ADDED!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM
  • 45 Replies
Well my due date is approaching. Its this Sunday. My next appointment is Tuesday...if I make it. My OB said I could be induced....which scares the hell out of me. I don't want any drugs. I had a HORRIBLE experience being induced with my dd.

But I'm feeling the pressure ...literally. And there is added pressure of family and my business. I run a daycare and EVERYBODY is wondering and waiting for this baby to come. Plus I tested positive for strep B. So Im supposed to be on antibiotics for 4 hours before I push him out! Well with my son by the time I got to the hospital I was almost 8 cm! I had him in about 2 hrs.

Ugh...idk what I want to do

I forgot to add that at 35 weeks and 5 days he was already measuring at 7lbs 2 oz so that's another concern of mine. The doctor said we could do an ultrasound next week and go fro
There

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sj3starz
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Personally, I'd wait it out and go natural. GBS testing is very unreliable and it's possible you will not even really need antibiotics. Even so, you may make it in time for them, and if not they will administer them to baby.There are so many reasons not to fret!!

Good luck on making the choice that you think is best for baby.
*hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I know there are other things you can do at home to help with strepB. If it helps you feel any better I tested positive with my last baby and I had her in the car so definitely no time for meds but she was okay. When did your water break with your son? Mine never seems to break until the baby is already coming out (past crowning). I think that helps protect them from the strepB virus if your water stays intact. At least from what I've heard. Personally I'd wait. My midwives told me with my other baby that you can have strepB one day and not the other depending. They'd found it in my urine which meant it was stronger or else they would have tested me again closer to my due date to find out if it was still there or not.

louzannalady
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM

HERE is info on group B strep. I would not be induced without medial reason, personally, because I am not comfortable with the risks to the baby or myself. 

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM

It's a decision you have to make for yourself.  

Monday I will be 42 weeks.  We aren't considering a medical induction until then.  (I am seeing a chiropractor and an acupuncturist.)  

I have to switch from the midwives to an OB the day I turn 42 weeks -- I discussed it with the OB and midwives today and feel more comfortable with waiting, even if it means a change in care provider.  

Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM

you have no reason to induce. much more safe for baby and you to wait.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Pressure is hard...
But if health and safety are your priorities then you'll have to put that first and say no to inducing.


hugs!

mmccrea
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

If you don't want the drugs, then don't take them, especially if you had a bad experience before.  Could they break your water instead of using drugs?  That is what they did for me, and it went great.  

wonderwomanT08
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to ask. They did that with dd but just started me on pitocin right away.


Quoting mmccrea:

If you don't want the drugs, then don't take them, especially if you had a bad experience before.  Could they break your water instead of using drugs?  That is what they did for me, and it went great.  


Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM
The chances of baby getting infected from a quick birth is very slim. Most of the world, they don't test for GBS, and they have no higher rates of infection. They just treat anyone who has their water broken for an extended period of time, because that's the real risk factor (that and prematurity).

I was GBS+ with my 3rd, had her 25 minutes after arriving at the hospital, no antibiotics. She was fine, and they didn't treat her, either. Just had to stay 48 hours for observation. Which was a PITA, I wanted to go home, lol, but hardly a huge deal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wonderwomanT08
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I forgot to add that he was measuring big at 35 weeks and 5 days. He was 7 lbs 2 oz so that worries me too. My OB said we could do an ultrasound to see how he is doing and to make sure the fluid isn't low and go from there


Quoting doulala:

Pressure is hard...
But if health and safety are your priorities then you'll have to put that first and say no to inducing.


hugs!


Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN