Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Baby name and family

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have learned the hard way not to tell family members you baby name choices until they are set in stone. I have a cousin, whom I have always been real close with. Since I was pregnant with my oldest son, he's 6, I have had a baby girls name picked out. She never mentioned anything to me on it until she got pregnant 4 years later. She decided that was going to be her girls name. She had a boy and I ended up having another son. I am now pregnant with my 3rd child and I still have my heart set on this name. My cousin keeps insisting if I have a girl it's not right for me to use this name first, since family will think she is copying me. I honestly would not use the name if she did, but since it hasn't been used by any of my family or close friends, I still really want to use it. Would it be wrong of me to use it. I keep getting hounded daily by this cousin about what I think I'm having and my baby names and I just keep telling her that my husband and I are deciding. I haven't told family that I'm going to a gender ultrasound on Friday just so I'm not hounded. Is it wrong for me to use the name still?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cRystienah
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

You picked the name to begin with.. She did take it from you so why does she get to tell you that you can't use a name YOU picked? I'd still use it. You've had your heart set on it so why not?

Stephanie3804
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Thank you for your response. I never once told her she couldn't use the name either if she were to have a girl first. I just wanted to see what others thought. I'm kinda dreading the comments from her if I do end up having a girl.

Quoting cRystienah:

You picked the name to begin with.. She did take it from you so why does she get to tell you that you can't use a name YOU picked? I'd still use it. You've had your heart set on it so why not?

cRystienah
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I'm surprised you were okay with her taking the name you picked. That would have upset me, lol. If she's going to make that big of a deal out of you using a name you've been set on for quite some time then that's pretty sad. Theres tons of names out there. She can find another one she likes if it's that much of a problem IMO. Lol

Quoting Stephanie3804:

Thank you for your response. I never once told her she couldn't use the name either if she were to have a girl first. I just wanted to see what others thought. I'm kinda dreading the comments from her if I do end up having a girl.

Quoting cRystienah:

Stephanie3804
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I was hurt by it, but honestly, I can't stop her if she did use it. She ended up having a boy and I got pregnant and had another boy right after. I've avoided telling family members about my ultrasound Friday. Last time she kept saying she hoped I had another boy and I just don't want to deal with that right now. I want to enjoy my moment.

Quoting cRystienah:

I'm surprised you were okay with her taking the name you picked. That would have upset me, lol. If she's going to make that big of a deal out of you using a name you've been set on for quite some time then that's pretty sad. Theres tons of names out there. She can find another one she likes if it's that much of a problem IMO. Lol

Quoting Stephanie3804:

Quoting cRystienah:

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a name you love, right?  Use it. Don't worry about her or your family.  We've always named our children based on what WE wanted, and even though SIL named her son Ramon (since she had the first-and thus far only-boy) but she knew it's what we would've named ours had we had one (since my husband is Ramon, as is his father and grandfather, so this baby would be the 4th). When we got preg with DD4 we informed them we would be naming him (if a boy) Ramon (they'd have diff middle and last names).  We wont be able to use the name now, though, because our son that passed was named Jr. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)