Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Opinions on getting the amniocenteses test

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:27 AM
  • 54 Replies
Would you have the amniocenteses test done
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beyilly87
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Well the decision is up to you, but I would suggest: Don't do it!

Look it up online to see more info and go on your hospitals webpage for more research.

I've heard/read that it does more damage than harm. Can you imagine a needle breaking your babies little bubble or space? A little tear is made in the sac and it takes a couples days to repair.
Plus the tests are not perfect. I've heard of people whose babies where diagnosed according to the test, but where born completely healthy. I wouldn't risk the procedure. Just read more about it, so you feel good about your decision (:
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I never had it done with my twins and I didn't with this baby. I just don't care I will love my baby no matter how they come out!

amc103
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this

They offered it to me when they found CP cysts on DS1 brain during an u/s. I refused. He was born healthy and happy and Im glad I refused. I wouldnt be able to live with myself if he had been damaged during the test. JMO

Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:19 AM

No, too risky.

your_angel
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:22 AM
No ma'am
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:28 AM

No, I wouldn't. For me the risks outweigh any pros. Plus, I will love and keep my baby regardless and I'm not someone who needs time to prepare. I just prepare myself for all possibilities anyways. And I'm terrified of needles so that basically seals my decision. Lol!

japanmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:43 AM
That depends on why it's being offered. I had it done with my daughter to try and find the reason for ventriculomegaly and the amnio ruled out infection and chromosomal abnormality thankfully.

It's not fun and everything has risks but I'm happy I did it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yurixsi
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Did it hurt

Quoting japanmommy:

That depends on why it's being offered. I had it done with my daughter to try and find the reason for ventriculomegaly and the amnio ruled out infection and chromosomal abnormality thankfully.

It's not fun and everything has risks but I'm happy I did it.

jazz0201
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:56 AM
I had it done. I didn't do anything but lay in the bed or on the couch for several days after so I had time to heal and reduce the risk of anything happening.
Radellia
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:00 AM
I did not have it done. I denied having all the genetic testing done, and the amnio would have only been a follow up those tests of anything had come back from them. They way I looked at it is that I'm keeping this baby no matter what, so what value are those tests really going to give me? If my son has some sort of "abnormality" then likely he's going to still have it after he's born and we'll manage it then.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN