Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

first doctor appointment advise please!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 6 Replies

I went to my first doctors appointment yesterday and was told about all these blood test for percentages for differant diseases and mental illnesses the baby could have. Are these tests nessasary? Are they really important? I want to do whats best for the baby but if all they are going to do is worry us i dont think its nessasary. Anyone take them? And did it make a differance in your pregnancy?

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mrs.hill25
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM

its up to you if you want to take them. I personally do all of them, I want to be as best prepared as I can

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I never do them. A lot of these tests have high rate of false negatives, not to mention they make people super paranoid. 

summerbear
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM
I have always denied them. Too many false positives and them you are subject to more tests and then all you do is worry and stress til baby is born. And, more times than not, baby is 100% healthy...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hafsa1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I know a few people who had test and were told that their baby had down syndrome or something else...and they turned out fine! They do this early so the mothers can choose to abort if they wish based on the results. I personally will not do that test, because it could be wrong and I would want the baby either way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
swmmra
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

there is very little in a pregnancy that you have to do. However, most of the tests are basic. Likein your first one they were also checking your hormones levels to make sure that they are rising like they are supposed to. The one test I wish we hadn't done and I won't do again, is the quad test between 15-20 weeks. It has a 60% false positive rate and when you get a false positive (like I did) the stress isn't worth it. I suggest not doing that test, but that is my opinion. 

KAmomma1113
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Ive opted to do the tests twice now simply because I want to know in advance if something might be wrong. To me its no different than getting an ultrasound done when they do the anatomy and gender check making sure everything is growing ok and not seeing any abnormalities ie.. heart issues, bands on babys arms/legs, just anything unnatural. I dont stress about the tests until they tell me something is wrong
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)