Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Evening Primrose Oil question..

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM
  • 16 Replies

Has anyone used it before? And what were your results. I am 38 weeks 5 days and my induction is scheduled for Tuesday the 22nd at 6am and I'd like to help things along. I am currently 2cm and firm. I already got the ok from my midwife I would just like to hear experiences. I will be using it vaginally only. Or do I need to take it orally also for it to work. TIA sorry it's kinda jumbled.lol

Carson Lenox

pregnancy week by week

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Taking it orally can be dangerous, because it is a blood thinner. Evening primrose oil has prostaglandins, similiar to what is in semen, which works to soften the cervix. It does not cause contractions. It only prepares your cervix for labor. I just take the capsule and I poke a hole in it and put it as next to my cervix before bed and wear a pad. The oil also make the tissues more supple, which can help prevent tearing. Why are they inducing so early, are you and baby having complications? 

Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM
We need a sitter for my other 5 kids. Plus once I am.in labor I go really fast so she and I are worried I wont make it to the hospital if I go on my own.. I will also only be 4 days from my due date. And thanks for the information. :)

Quoting louzannalady:

Taking it orally can be dangerous, because it is a blood thinner. Evening primrose oil has prostaglandins, similiar to what is in semen, which works to soften the cervix. It does not cause contractions. It only prepares your cervix for labor. I just take the capsule and I poke a hole in it and put it as next to my cervix before bed and wear a pad. The oil also make the tissues more supple, which can help prevent tearing. Why are they inducing so early, are you and baby having complications? 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM

*hug* No offense, I still don't understand why you guys are taking such a heavy risk, but I wish ya'll nothing but the very, very best! *tips hat* 

Quoting Mazie0723:

We need a sitter for my other 5 kids. Plus once I am.in labor I go really fast so she and I are worried I wont make it to the hospital if I go on my own.. I will also only be 4 days from my due date. And thanks for the information. :)

Quoting louzannalady:

norwgnwood
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM
I took it orally for about 3 weeks and my daughter shot out like a rocket.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I laughed out loud and got the craziest look from dh.

Quoting norwgnwood:

Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. And I understand that not everyone agrees with my decision thank you for being respectful.

Quoting louzannalady:

*hug* No offense, I still don't understand why you guys are taking such a heavy risk, but I wish ya'll nothing but the very, very best! *tips hat* 

Quoting Mazie0723:

Quoting louzannalady:

kkps725
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I took it orally and vaginally for about two weeks. It does the same thing semen does. I was induced at 29 weeks 5 days. I can't really tell you if it was the EPO or not but when I was induced my cervix was low and soft if that helps. A week and a half before that I was dilated less than 1cm and my cervix was still very firm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

No worries! : ) Everyone has the right to informed consent/refusal. : ) I think, it is great you have a provider you seem to be comfortable with. : ) HERE is information if you are interested about the various induction methods, to help you have as safe an experience as possible! : ) 

Quoting Mazie0723:

Thank you. And I understand that not everyone agrees with my decision thank you for being respectful.

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting Mazie0723:

Quoting louzannalady:

norwgnwood
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM
She really did. I almost delivered her in the car. I pushed for less than 30 seconds. In my paperwork my midwife wrote, "She came. She pushed. She delivered." That was her entire interaction with me. Lol I was literally in the hospital less than 10 minutes before dd was born.

Quoting Mazie0723:

I laughed out loud and got the craziest look from dh.

Quoting norwgnwood:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmerussgirl
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I used it with my two daughters from week 36 on.  I inserted three capsules each night...I don't poke holes bc they dissolve in minutes.  Wear a pad bc they will make a mess.  I also sat on an exercise ball and got to 4cm and 50% effaced each time.  Hope it helps you!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN