Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Natural birth vs. Epidural?

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi, I'm 19 and pregnant with my first child. I'm thinking I want to go through childbirth with no epidural or anything but I'm afraid I will chicken out last minute. What is the easiest way to get through it? I have quite a while to decide my plan, but I'd like to be educated on all options. Thanks. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
louzannalady
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:35 PM
3 moms liked this

READ! READ! READ! Start with Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth", then read anything by Ina May Gaskin. Then, join the Natural Birth and Parenting Group. Then, HIRE A DOULA! HIRE A DOULA! HIRA A DOULA! AND, did I say, HIRE A DOULA?!

Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I consider myself a huge wuss, but I delivered a 9 pound baby with no drugs. Our bodies were made to do this, and it is awesome to experience!

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I had one epi birth & 2 natural births. I had a much easier recovery with my natural births.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

For me staying home for as long as possible is what helps me get through it. That and walking, walking, walking. :-)

-Mommy-2-Three-
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had 3 natural unmedicated vaginal deliveries & I wouldn't have it any other way! I used meditation & concentrated breathing to get through my labors mostly but also water therapy!

Look up "Orgasmic Birth" too!

emilyelephant
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Educate yourself and go with the flow.  I had an epidural and loved it.  But I also feel like I missed out on that experience, the high energy and relief and pride that I would have felt if I had braved the pain.

Not feeling a thing actually made it difficult for me to understand that I just gave birth, and I have almost no claim when it comes to using "Yeah, well I pushed an 8 lb baby out of my vagina" against my boyfriend. lol

sj3starz
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm reading Ina May's guide to child birth right now.
It is pretty amazing. :-) I'm going to be a noob to home birthing this time. Her book makes me feel so empowered!

Quoting louzannalady:

READ! READ! READ! Start with Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth", then read anything by Ina May Gaskin. Then, join the Natural Birth and Parenting Group. Then, HIRE A DOULA! HIRE A DOULA! HIRA A DOULA! AND, did I say, HIRE A DOULA?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Educate yourself on natural options - there are a lot of good books out there like the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth and anything by Ina May Gaskin.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group and congrats on your pregnancy!

I will say this, get rid of the notion that there is an easiest way to get through it. Labor won't be easy no matter what. If you want to do it without pain meds, you have to be completely committed to it. That makes it easier in a sense. 

The most important things to get through labor are to focus, find positions that work for you, find a breathing method that works for you, and have a strong support system.

Learn everything you can about childbirth. Learn about the good and the bad. Find a care provider who shares your birth philosophy and will support you in your wishes for your birth. 

Some books I suggest:

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin

Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer

What to Expect When You're Expecting by Heidi Murkoff.

KRYSTALK1013
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually planned on having an epidural, but it didn't work out that way. I ended up laboring at home and going to the hospital when I couldn't handle the discomfort anymore. Little did I know, when I got there, I was ready to push (literally). I just let my body do whatever felt natural. When laying down got too uncomfortable, I got on all fours and rocked, and crawled. I also breathed through every contraction. I never took a childbirth class or anything. Just let my body lead the way, and it did so beautifully. Totally natural birth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN