Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Natural birth vs. Epidural?

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi, I'm 19 and pregnant with my first child. I'm thinking I want to go through childbirth with no epidural or anything but I'm afraid I will chicken out last minute. What is the easiest way to get through it? I have quite a while to decide my plan, but I'd like to be educated on all options. Thanks. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Had my first at 18 no epi. The fear of the needle, possible paralysis, or other side effects from the epidural overruled the pain. I've had two natural births. The easiest way to get through labor is the epi. You don't feel anything so of course it's the easy way.

For me it was best to go natural. Learn and practice breathing techniques so that doing them is second nature in labor. I guess a child birth class wouldn't hurt (never took one. I might this time because my husband is supposed to be home for this birth). Read all you can about giving birth and different laboring techniques. Find out what policies your hospital has.

Just remember at the end of the day do what's right for you. Plans can change drastically during labor.

mem82
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I've done it both ways. I think a lot depends on how the baby is descending as far as how painful it is.

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM

odd how alike our births were! I got my epi 3 times with my first and said f it.. it worked for like half an hour with her and wore off being 3 hours of pushing! I was induced the 2nd time and got one and it worked wonders. I have done the natural thing with my first and it sucked, I can't handle the pain.

Quoting Momof2almost:

Congrats! You will not know what you can/can't handle until you try. I was medically induced twice (1st one at 38 weeks/2nd one at 35 weeks) and got epi's with both (vag delivery). The 1st epi was horrible, I was stuck 5 times because he couldn't get the needle in just right and when he finally got it right it didn't last and wore off right before I started pushing. The 2nd epi was WONDERFUL!! I waited until I was 7cm to get it (when you are induced your contractions never stop and I was miserable) and it lasted like it was supposed to. The only negative is that it takes so long to wear off and you are really limited to birth positions. Good luck and you will do just fine!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

DaconosMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I wish I would at least tried natural but my son was stuck and I had to get an emergency c-section and than I made the mistake of letting my family and husband talk me into getting another c-section when I had my daughter so now I will never get the chance. I agree w/ some of the other ladies. Educate yourself and make your decision based on how you feel and dont let anyone else pressure you into something your not sure about.

nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Well I just went through natural labor ( this is my fourth child ) unfortunately it ended in c section but that's beside the point. Anyway I was 7 cm before I knew it and then 9cm and pushing!. All I can say is breath and focus. It is truly an experience I will never forget.. I won't lie it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life.big honestly though I was going to die.. but it was the best kind of pain if that makes sense... and it will be over before you know it. And pushing feels great! Its amazing how your body knows what to do. Half the time I didn't even willingly push! If I get a chance I'm doing a vbac and will have no meds!

Quoting Kiradenise:

Hi, I'm 19 and pregnant with my first child. I'm thinking I want to go through childbirth with no epidural or anything but I'm afraid I will chicken out last minute. What is the easiest way to get through it? I have quite a while to decide my plan, but I'd like to be educated on all options. Thanks. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Una75
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

You're young, if you're healthy and active, chances are you'll be fine.  I've done both.  My son was an easy pregnancy all the way through.  My daughter was hell almost from day one and labor was no better. 
By the time I made it to the hospital I was begging for an epidural, mostly in my head - I was in so much pain I could barely manage a sentence

Ultimately it's going to be up to you and your pain threshold.  When pain gets to the point that it's weakening you, it's time to do something about it.  With an epidural, there's no real risk to the baby because the meds are being injected directly into your spine (not your blood system, which could affect the baby, and is the reason they stopped giving Demerol)  - the real risk is to you and it's minimal, so if you it do your part & make sure you hold as still as a statue.

Keep a level head through it all and don't get hooked on the idea of a birthplan, because ultimately the baby's running the show and your plans could easily go awry.   The best plan you can have is making sure your bag is packed at least a month in advance and arranging for help at home after the birth.

Good luck.

Devious103102
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

There are LOTS of methods out there. There's meditation, one of the newer things is called "hypno birthing" and a few others.   Also realize if you do back down it's not the end of the world, med free labors aren't for everyone, but DO look into other options for pain relief (IV medications) before you go forward with an epidural =0)

Journeytobe
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I educated myself on every option and I had this huge, elaborate plan. I actually wrote out my birth plan and planned on giving it to my Doctor/nurses in the hospital. I did NOT want an epidural. I was totally against it, swore no matter what I would not get it. ....Here's my story!

I went over-due and there was no sign of my son coming any time soon. I was barely a finger-tip dilated and my Doctor said my best option was to be induced (because I started having signs of pre-eclampsia and was in the hospital). I went in at 6am and they started my pitocin. Around 7:30 am, my Doctor came in and I was dilated 3cm so he didn't need to use the folley bulb (*look this up as well), he just went ahead and broke my water. The worst part of your water breaking is just feeling like you peed yourself. It's not painful. 

I didn't feel a single contraction until I was about 5cm, and they weren't that strong. Then they started getting stronger and stronger...The people who do the epidurals had to leave the hospital at 3pm because they had a big "Case" that night. They asked me one final time if i wanted the epidural before they left and I said no....so my options of getting it were slim to none, because by the time they called someone in to do it, i more than likely would have already had the baby. My husband and SIL assured me I was doing great and I kept going....

I was stuck at 7cm for 4 1/2 hours. I was in HORRIBLE pain because the pitocin brings on contractions non-stop. It was one after another, I had no time to breathe. I didn't think I could make it...I was miserable.

A nurse came in and said they had called in someone to do an epidural for someone else, so if I wanted him to give me one, I could. After 15 1/2 hours of labor (5-6 of that being EXTREMELY intense), I got the epidural. I don't care what anyone says, that epidural was heaven in a syringe! It only numbed half my body and two hours later when i started pushing, I could feel everything. But that 2 hours of having half of the pain numbed was amazing.

Would I do it all over again? Yes. Contractions are INTENSE...and I had terrible back labor! But some women don't and can have the baby naturally and their story be great. I just reccomend educating yourself and making a decision based on that! But don't go in there thinking strictly one way or the other, because things always happen! You have to be prepared for everything!

Good luck, mama :) 

MichaelsMom0711
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Quoting JadeTigr7:

Become educated.Read up on natural childbirth, take classes.  I'm on baby #5 and I've never had an epidural, never wanted one.  The best way to avoid getting one in labor is going in with the mindset that it's not even an option. 

4, going on 5 births and no epidural EVER!?? U are a very strong woman and i can honestly say i have no idea how u did it! that epidural was what made me NOT be afraid of child birth with my 1st and i got it when i was only 3cm and was begging for it already! Its my plan this time too with #2 but i really wish i could do it natural like every woman had to in the past, but i seriously have zero tolerance for pain so i doubt its an option!
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I have a low tolerance for pain.  I just kept moving and breathing through the pain.  I knew that I could do it without and I did.  My last birth was at home, and this one will be too, so there's no option for pain meds anyways.

Quoting MichaelsMom0711:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Become educated.Read up on natural childbirth, take classes.  I'm on baby #5 and I've never had an epidural, never wanted one.  The best way to avoid getting one in labor is going in with the mindset that it's not even an option. 

4, going on 5 births and no epidural EVER!?? U are a very strong woman and i can honestly say i have no idea how u did it! that epidural was what made me NOT be afraid of child birth with my 1st and i got it when i was only 3cm and was begging for it already! Its my plan this time too with #2 but i really wish i could do it natural like every woman had to in the past, but i seriously have zero tolerance for pain so i doubt its an option!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN