Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Natural birth vs. Epidural?

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi, I'm 19 and pregnant with my first child. I'm thinking I want to go through childbirth with no epidural or anything but I'm afraid I will chicken out last minute. What is the easiest way to get through it? I have quite a while to decide my plan, but I'd like to be educated on all options. Thanks. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
froggiebaby2010
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

im also getting ready to have my first, we decided we are going all natural, despite alot of family members not being supportive of it( my mom is quite adament that i should just opt for everything they can give me b4 i even try natural)but my sister(who has had 4 kids of her own and was an OB nurse for 7+ years) is incredibly supportive and keeps reminding me to ask about changing positions in labor and all that and to make sure to ask to have showers and or a birth tub available for use, from what ive been told the worst part is getting to 5cm ( the cut off point for drugs) and to focus not on making it thru the entire labor without drugs, but rather to focus on making it to 5 cm cuz then the hardest part is over. we are keepign our plan open also so if i cant handle getting thru it natural, ill use IV drugs...in which case ill be getting demerol since its safer than the drugs they usually use... i know at my hospital thats not what they use right off the bat so i hae to ask specifically for it

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I gave birth to both of my kids with no epidural. the 1st time it was easy. I was able to get up and walk the halls. that really helped with the pain. the only time the pain was unbearable was the few times they brought me back to the bed to monitor me and baby for a few mins. but that labor and delivery was perfect. no need for epidural.

now my 2nd baby was horrible. my dr sent me to the hospital to be induced cuz he thought my baby was too small and having problems. once I got to the hospital I started contracting on my own. but they insisted on inducing me and giving me pitocin anyways. I decided to try and go w/out an epidural even tho I was stuck in bed. biggest mistake ever. once they gave me the pitocin and broke my water, my contractions shot way up and became really strong and painful. I immediately requested an epidural cuz it was just way too much. but my labor went really fast and I had my daughter before I could get my epidural. it was so incredibly painful. I thought I was gonna die. but I think had they let me labor naturally and not given me pitocin and broken my water, I think it would have been much better and manageable. It wouldn't have been so painful. if I could do it all over again I would have refused to be induced. they said my daughter was gonna be only 4lbs. she ended up being 6 lbs. so they were wrong and they inducement was totally unneeded and unnecessary. but oh well. good luck.

rachelrothchild
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Don't make it an option or have your baby in a birth center or at home where medication isn't readily available.  

Xanbuttsmom
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I had my son in the hospital with an epidural. I didn't feel anything, but I felt like I got hit by a truck after. I also had serious back pain for 8 months after ds was born. My story of delivering in the hospital is long so I dont feel like typing it all out. I will just say it was horrible. My doctor basically did all of these unnecessary did things to better convenience himself.

This time around im going all natural at a birth center with some awesome midwives. Yes an epidural takes away the pain, but it isn't necessary. I want the pain I want the pride of saying I delivered my baby myself. Through the blood sweat and tears I did it. The best part is that I know that I can.

I'd you have Netflix watch, The Business of Being Born, and Pregnant in America.
Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I recommend hiring a doula and doing tons of research! I had an epi with my first, going natural this time around. My birth experience was not at all what I wanted.

BabyFruit Ticker
RhondaVeggie
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM
If you really don't want one just google epidural horror stories. Knowing what can go wrong will really help you resist. But be sure you don't want one before you do that because you don't want to be sitting there at 7cm wanting one but terrified to get one.

Personally I won't do it. I had one with my son and it sucked. Very painful getting it in and it barely worked plus I had complications due to leaking fluid. Never again, not worth it for me.
sparklebug86
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Here are my two experiences

Baby #1, my water broke and contractions started but I didnt feel a thing! In fact when I went in the nurse told me it was probably just urine since I wasnt in pain. Unfortunately because my water had broken 10 hrs before, they instantly put me on pitocin which made the pain go from non existant to holy hell in a matter of minutes :( I got the epidural not only because I was uncomfortable but because I was scared of the "ring of fire". The joke was on my though because the epidural didnt work when it came time to push and I felt EVERYTHING. From my perspective it wasnt that bad, it was more pressure than burning.

With my second, I was induced but no pitocin was used and again I couldnt feel the contractions, I just felt uncomfortable. Again I used an epi but only because of the intense pressure of last time. 

This time Ive done lots of research and will not be using drugs at all this time. Our first born ended up with autism and I do blame the pitocin :( 

I urge you to educate yourself so when you go in, you can make informed decisions for yourself! PS dont let others scare you with their "horror" stories. The labor might be exhausting but ive heard the feeling of accomplishments from having a non medicated birth far exceeds any pain you felt ;)

livingrlovesong
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Do you have a birthing center in your area? A friend of mine just had her child at the birthing center. No drugs, it was all natrual. I wanted to go to a birthing center or do a home birth but I am to high risk.

mrsjackson0329
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I wanted to go without it but the pain became intense due to being induced by petocin that I couldn't take it anymore. The decision is up to you but sign the hospital consent forms so if you do change your mind then they will do. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to do it. It's just there as a good backup plan. Always have one of those you will need it.

heathermarie23
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Well if you wait til last minute, you can't chicken out. It will be too late for them to give you the epidural. It's really not as bad as you expect from my experience x2. Just know that you can do it! :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN