Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Natural birth vs. Epidural?

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi, I'm 19 and pregnant with my first child. I'm thinking I want to go through childbirth with no epidural or anything but I'm afraid I will chicken out last minute. What is the easiest way to get through it? I have quite a while to decide my plan, but I'd like to be educated on all options. Thanks. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Replies (41-50):
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I hate their estimates. I had the opposite happen though I went into labor on my own at 38 weeks. They said my oldest would be 8 lbs -_- He was 5lbs 8 oz

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

I gave birth to both of my kids with no epidural. the 1st time it was easy. I was able to get up and walk the halls. that really helped with the pain. the only time the pain was unbearable was the few times they brought me back to the bed to monitor me and baby for a few mins. but that labor and delivery was perfect. no need for epidural.

now my 2nd baby was horrible. my dr sent me to the hospital to be induced cuz he thought my baby was too small and having problems. once I got to the hospital I started contracting on my own. but they insisted on inducing me and giving me pitocin anyways. I decided to try and go w/out an epidural even tho I was stuck in bed. biggest mistake ever. once they gave me the pitocin and broke my water, my contractions shot way up and became really strong and painful. I immediately requested an epidural cuz it was just way too much. but my labor went really fast and I had my daughter before I could get my epidural. it was so incredibly painful. I thought I was gonna die. but I think had they let me labor naturally and not given me pitocin and broken my water, I think it would have been much better and manageable. It wouldn't have been so painful. if I could do it all over again I would have refused to be induced. they said my daughter was gonna be only 4lbs. she ended up being 6 lbs. so they were wrong and they inducement was totally unneeded and unnecessary. but oh well. good luck.

chamelinmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:00 AM

my suggestion get a strong doula. She wont replace your hubby but she can provide information to him and you as you go though. your worst enimy will be your nurses because most will just want you to lay on your back and still which is the WORST possition ever to be in. bradley class is known as a great thing to get your hubby involved. ive noticed in my 4 births(expecting our 5) that dh really doesnt know a lot of what to do. we have a doula again this time too. he just stood back or gave me his hand. Childbirth classes can be taken in a week if you find the right place or read a book on it. transition will be your hardest because you hit that road block where you want to say screw it, especally if you had nurses like i have had that would say why are you putting yourself though this and such. be ready to kick them out. you CAN do this

v.gross13
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:12 AM
With my first baby I tried to have her natural. But before I got pregnant I messed up my back and during labor I just had back contractions that went down my legs. it hurt so bad. so I ended up having an epidural.
If your hospital offers good pain medicine then I would definitely try it. I just got morphine before the epidural and it didn't work.
Good luck.
brittany208
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM

There other options for pan relief other than an epidural, too. With my first I wanted to try natural, but I was induced with pitocin and later agreed to take nubain--which they said would just take the edge off. It ended up knocking me out so I slept for two hours of my labor. The whole labor was actually quite easy and not bad at all, even before the nubain. I just started panicking for a minute there. Just recently I read that there is a time when women might start to panick and want to back out, and that it just means its almost time. Had I known it would have been a passing feeling, I would have stayed calm and not taken anything.

This time I hope to go completely drug free. It really is best for baby.

rjmac88
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM

walk...move....eat...STAY OUT OF THE HOSPITAL until you absolutely HAVE to go....

LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I found natural to be easier for multiple reasons.

ahawkins
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM
I have done 3 natural births, this time I'm getting an epi as soon as possible
Teefrank
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I'm pregnant with my first and I'm planning to go natural and use the Hypnobirthing method. Husband will be my birth companion.

CafeMom Tickers
b.futlz
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Broke down n had one with my first and it wasn't bad but I have constant back pains from it.......This one when the nurse asked I said yes but I had my baby before I could get it I'm glad I didn't get if
Momof2almost
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Quoting AmyL3469:

Yeah, i'm pretty good at handling pain but I just figured while in labor if I didn't have to be in as much pain then I wouldn't be. Oh how wrong was I that first time! lol! I actually ended up having to have the vacuum help deliver my 1st boy because I had labored for 38 hours and was beyond exhausted. My 2nd labor went perfectly! The first go around I had a birth plan that pretty much went out the window as soon as I found out I was being induced and when I became pregnant the 2nd time I didn't even bother with a birth plan. Needless to say, i'm done having kids. My body doesn't do well while pregnant and I get violently ill. To each their own ya know, I wish I could have gone naturally to a point but all in all I don't regret my choices and both boys were perfectly healthy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN