Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice Needed: Okay i just had a little girl a couple weeks...

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:36 AM
  • 6 Replies

Okay i just had a little girl a couple weeks ago her name is Ashley. I am not a single parent my parents help out and my boyfriend does too what i mean by not a single parent is yes i have people helping out with her and i am still with my boyfriend, now my question is how should i be caring for her how many naps should she have and what about food and stuff? Can anybody help out please she is my first child. I need help like i need correct things to do i want her to grow up and be healthy and happy. I want to know how to raise her right, please help. I am 16 alright i know im a bit young but  me and my boyfriend are planning to get married soon. Yes i am Christian but i made a little mistake cause i wanted to wait until Marriage to have sex but then my boyfriend went on and on about how we were gonna get married soon so we can have sex now blah blah blah blah. Then one night we thought about having a kid well he thought about it cause he loves kids he wanted one with me and he wanted one. Well then one thing led to another and you know here we are with a little baby girl named Ashley. I need to know proper feeding schedules and stuff and nap times and stuff like that..

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:40 AM
Baby will eat and sleep as they please. Breastfed babies eat more usually. My DD is now 6 months and since birth has slept thru the night and only naps 2-3 times a day... my son was a terrible night sleeper and took a lot of small naps.

Until baby is older IMHO no need for a set schedule but good to have a basic routine. Baby won't eat if she's not hungry and remember her tummy is tiny so she will eat often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Makfaa831
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Thank you

CheyennesMommy2
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:53 AM
Are yyou breast feeding or bottle feeding? If your breastfeeding just let her nurse when and how much she wants. For me with my first writing it down, and writing down how many wet and poopy diapers helped. If bottle feeding feed her again when she wants but dont over feed her. Her tummy is still tiny.

Let her sleep whenever, my kids as newborns changed alot, sometimes they would nap all day, sleep good at night, sometimes it felt.like they were up for 24 hours. Not.literally of course.

I would wait until shes a bit older for a set schedule. Mine didnt have one until closer to 3/4 months.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:54 AM
And by set schedule, I should add, I mean they started sleeping at night more, less during the day, and eating more on routine times.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Are yyou breast feeding or bottle feeding? If your breastfeeding just let her nurse when and how much she wants. For me with my first writing it down, and writing down how many wet and poopy diapers helped. If bottle feeding feed her again when she wants but dont over feed her. Her tummy is still tiny.

Let her sleep whenever, my kids as newborns changed alot, sometimes they would nap all day, sleep good at night, sometimes it felt.like they were up for 24 hours. Not.literally of course.

I would wait until shes a bit older for a set schedule. Mine didnt have one until closer to 3/4 months.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:11 AM
Lots of cuddling, lots of one-on-one time. The baby is focusing on your face for the first little while. She wants to see it, wants to see your eyes.
There is a such thing as purple crying, you should Google that. Also, colic can happen, so learn the symptoms if she seems to cry often. Always have patience, babies don't cry unless they need something or something is up so try not to get frustrated or aggravated. If you do find yourself getting frustrated let someone else hold her for a while or if there is nobody put baby in crib and take a couple.min break.
A baby that young should be tended to when they cry. The faster you answer their cries the more they learn to trust you.
When they are this young it is all about bonding and her learning who you are and in turn you learning who she is.
They say never to put babies to sleep on their stomachs.
Always keep the baby warm, but remember a carseat can overheat a baby quickly.
This is something that took some getting used to for us, because DH didn't understand the house had to stay warm enough so that the baby didn't get cold... her room always stayed cooler. We actually fought over the thermostat. So... you need to realize there is a LOT of adjusting going on in everyone's lives right now so just try to roll with it as much as possible.. and if you start having symptoms of Post Pardum Depression get help from your doc ASAP.

Good luck. You are the protector and nurturer of that little girl for the rest of your life. Own the part.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaScho88
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:30 AM

breastmilk or formula is enough for her until 6 months old, don't put her on a schedule, let her feed when she is hungry...babies generally eat every 2-4 hours in the beginning, it get more spaced out as they get older and eat more at one time...let her sleep whenever she wants to too...maybe you should get some books on baby care...this is your baby and you should raise her the way you want to. There are plenty of books on baby care, but there are no rules when it comes to raising a child, everyone does it differently. If you need a friend to talk to feel free to add me and I would be happy to give you tips and advice, I am 25 now, but I was young like you and got married at 16 and my first child was born when I was just barely 17...it can be a bit tough if you don't have alot of help...at the time I had my husband and my grandmother, but that was it and I had to figure out all the baby stuff on my own...now my daughter is a happy healthy 7 1/2 year old, of course I have made mistakes along the way, but I did my best and I think I did a really good job...good luck hun, you will do just fine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)