Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

extreme shakiness?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 8 Replies

ok. so i'm not quite 5 weeks and i have an appointment on monday, ubt i've been having a major issue with being shaky.  i'm fine as long as i'm stationary but when i get up and do chores or, like a while ago, take a much anticipated trip to IKEA, i get light headed, then get cramps in my lower back, then start shaking really badly.  i've been taking my vitamins, i've been drinking water, eating didn't help and the shaking has been going on for about an hour with no signs of easing.  i know if i go lay down, it will stop soon, but this is becoming a huge problem.  i cant' get anything done around the house, i can't take a shower without DH close by, driving is risky and i can't go grocery shopping.  my poor overworked DH dropped me off and took the kids with him to get groceries.   so any idea what might be causing this?  i don't believe it's sugar.  i had a vanilla froyo and some pepsi, so that would have brought it back up if it had dropped.  my blood pressure has always been pretty steady and it was normal 2 weeks ago when i had strep throat. this has been going on for just over a week.  the prenatals have 156% the daily amount for nursing and pregnant women, so i really have no idea what else could be doing it.  :(

ETA:  i never had this problem with any other pregnancy. 

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM

BUMP!

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Do you have any way to monitor your sugar intake? 

I get like that when my sugar gets low.  Other than sugar, I have no idea what it can be.  

Try cutting back carbs.  Severely.  Greatly increase your protein.  See how you feel with that. 

TTC2Long
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I would still look at your diet. Consuming something as sugar-packed as the two things you mentioned could DEFINITELY be the problem. You need carbs with 4+ grams of fiber per serving, protein, as as much whole food, not processed, as possible. My body is sensitive to low blood sugar and, for me, pregnancy greatly exacerbates it. I eat snacks all day and 3 small meals at the usual times, otherwise, I get the shakes, a migraine, dizzy, etc. And how's your water intake?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JennyLee24
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM
When i get shaky like that..its bc of caffeine. I cant drink tea or coffee while im pregnant. Hope u feel better soon and figure out whats causing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I have GD and it's the same for me.  

Quoting TTC2Long:

I would still look at your diet. Consuming something as sugar-packed as the two things you mentioned could DEFINITELY be the problem. You need carbs with 4+ grams of fiber per serving, protein, as as much whole food, not processed, as possible. My body is sensitive to low blood sugar and, for me, pregnancy greatly exacerbates it. I eat snacks all day and 3 small meals at the usual times, otherwise, I get the shakes, a migraine, dizzy, etc. And how's your water intake?

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM

the shaking happened before i had those two things.  it happened before lunch. we stopped to eat to see if that might be the problem.  it didn't help.  i came home and went to bed and 2 hours later, i'm still shaky.  if my sugar had dropped, those would have brought it back up.  i hadn't had any thing sugary or caffeinated prior. i'm only drinking water at home, or orange juice. my water intake is way up. i actually had a glass before i started feeling weird.   i can sit all day and be fine. when i get up and work on the house, i start having issues.  i was ok before i left home.  started walking down the stairs, got crampy. got to the store and started walking around the showroom, started getting woozy and shaky.  got some food and it didn't get any better.  came home and got some rest, not any better.  i've tried everything i can think of, but since i don't know what is causing it...   i took a shower and almost fell when i got out because my legs were shaking so bad.  my diet is vasty improved from what it was, when i can eat at all.  i've lost 3 lbs in 4 days.  i'm trying to keep my intake at a healthy level. 

if it had happened after lunch, i would have agreed with you. it wasn't the healthiest lunch, but it as what they had and i was desperate. and it didn't help

we generally cook from scratch with as little processed food as possible.  truly the only processed thing we have is mac and cheese-which i don't eat, cereal and plain pasta.  we make most everything else ourselves. 

foodwise, the only issue should be the amount.  i need to eat more but i've been really queasy and had a lot of heartburn. the heartburn has gone away for the time being, but i've been sick at my stomach.  but there is no pattern to when the shaking happens other than being active.  doesn't seem to matter what i've eaten or when. 

Quoting TTC2Long:

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Low blood sugar maybe?

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:09 AM

so i went for my appointment and brought up the shaking.  the nurse asked about my protein intake.  i said i thought i had been getting enough.  she said i should probably try a little more and see if that helps.  yesterday i bought boost high protein.  i had 2 yesterday and had very little shaking.  i've already had one this morning, so we'll see how it goes.  i did a lot of running around to day and the only thing i really had was some weakness and a headache.  a definite improvement. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)