Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Quick nursery question?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM
  • 13 Replies

First time mom-to-be here... so excuse me if I sound ignorant...

Is a crib comforter necessary? I know they look nice and all but my baby won't actually be using it, right ? 

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma_gig
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Correct. Until the baby is old enough to roll over both from back to belly and belly to back, blankets should not be used. Use footie pjs or the blanket sleepers (such as the Halo sleep sacks) to keep baby warm from newborn until blankets are no longer a danger. 

And congrats on being a first time mom! My first pregnancy was my most exciting :)

miranda_
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Okay that's what I thought, it sounded dangerous lol. I I just wanted to make sure!

And thank you. I'm 26 weeks now (: It's exciting, but at the same time I'm constantly worrying if I'm doing everything right or if she's okay in there, or if she doesn't move for a while I freak out lmfao. I can't wait until she's finally here !

Quoting momma_gig: 

Correct. Until the baby is old enough to roll over both from back to belly and belly to back, blankets should not be used. Use footie pjs or the blanket sleepers (such as the Halo sleep sacks) to keep baby warm from newborn until blankets are no longer a danger. 

And congrats on being a first time mom! My first pregnancy was my most exciting :)

momma_gig
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Trust me, you'll still be freaking out at every little thing when she gets here LOL When my daughter was first born, I would seriously stare at her at night to make sure she was breathing HAHA! 

Quoting miranda_:

Okay that's what I thought, it sounded dangerous lol. I I just wanted to make sure!

And thank you. I'm 26 weeks now (: It's exciting, but at the same time I'm constantly worrying if I'm doing everything right or if she's okay in there, or if she doesn't move for a while I freak out lmfao. I can't wait until she's finally here !

Quoting momma_gig: 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

kelly617
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Yah
I wouldn't even bother with a "bedding set" as about 90% of that stuff you're not supposed to use

I just bought cute sheets and then a mesh bumper to go with it

miranda_
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:25 AM

lmfao oh I already know I'll probably worry more when she's here.. my brother passed away from SIDS when he was 6 months old , so she'll probably be in the co sleeper for a while...

Quoting momma_gig:

Trust me, you'll still be freaking out at every little thing when she gets here LOL When my daughter was first born, I would seriously stare at her at night to make sure she was breathing HAHA! 

Quoting miranda_:

Quoting momma_gig: 

momma_gig
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that :( I can understand why you would be so worried, then.

Quoting miranda_:

lmfao oh I already know I'll probably worry more when she's here.. my brother passed away from SIDS when he was 6 months old , so she'll probably be in the co sleeper for a while...

Quoting momma_gig:

Quoting miranda_:

Quoting momma_gig: 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

miranda_
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:22 AM

I have a crib bumper just gotta get sheets, the crib isn't here until sometime this week so I wanna see how everything looks without going overboard yet lol.

I'm doing my registry and it said "baby needs" crib bedding on it but I wasn't sure if it was necessary.

but thank you for letting me know lol . this registry crap is so confusing !

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Yeah, I tend to buy the bedding sets and then hang the comforter up on the wall as an added decoration. Lol! And then the bumper I put in until the baby is born and then I tie it around the outside of the crib instead. Really though they totally aren't necessary. When you do your registry they try to get you to put EVERYTHING on your list. They'll say that it's necessary to get all these matching sets of things and just about every gizmo and gadget out there but I just take it all as suggestions and a list of what they have. After the first one it's easier because you've figured out what works for you and what you don't ever use.

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM

nope not necessary at all...a lot of people hang them on the wall these days....my daughter didnt use hers untill she was in a toddler bed

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:49 AM

even when baby can roll blankets still shouldnt be used they can lead to higher sids death rates....even though baby can roll doesnt mean they will in a deep sleep and they can still suffocate

Quoting momma_gig:

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)