Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Foley Bulb Induction (Edited with MY story) (perhaps a bit graphic)

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM
  • 21 Replies

Alright.  Tomorrow I am 42 weeks.  

I waited out the 2 weeks past my EDD.  I am pretty uncomfortable going forward as everything has indicated that my EDD was correct.   

As I am 42 weeks, I have to switch to the OB instead of the midwives.  We met with him last week and he said that he had no desire to use pitocin on me as he knows I'm trying for a VBAC -- a C-section is his last resort.  

So, tomorrow he is putting in a foley bulb.  The midwives have wanted to put one in before, but my cervix hasn't been dilated enough for them to do it.  Apparently, it doesn't matter too much with the doctor -- he's good at putting them in.  

So, I'm looking for foley bulb induction stories.  (Preferably positive -- I really need the positive now :)  ) 

Were you induced with a foley bulb? What was it like? How'd it go?  

Well.  In short, that sucked.  I'm getting induced with low-level pit tomorrow.  It's not my first choice, but that bulb was hell.  

So I go in today for the bulb placement.  He puts it in (said it went in easily so he feels I'm dilated some) and inflates it.  All is fine, just a tiny bit of discomfort.  They hook me to the fetal monitor for the second part of my second NST.  

They leave and hell breaks loose.   Instantly I'm having the worst cramps and feeling horribly sick to my stomach.  I also feel like I'm in a fog and break into a cold sweat.  I couldn't even carry on a conversation with DH.   It honestly felt as if I had a horrible, horrible stomach virus.  I felt like I might pass out.  

I'm breathing and trying to manage my way through the pain.  There wasn't really much of a let up, though I did feel like there were rare "breaks."  I was thinking to msyelf "okay, so -- there is a break, this is what they were talking about -- but if these are contractions, it doesn't feel like anything described." 

I wait out the 30 min on the NST -- barely.  Then I make DH go get the nurse to take me off so I can go to the bathroom.  I was about to poo all over that table.  

Over the next 30-45 minutes I'm in and out of the bathroom repeatedly so I can poop.  While I'm in there, I'm not even wearing any pants.  I just grabbed the sheet and hobbled.  I'm also trying not to pass out in the bathroom and hugging a trash can.  I felt horrible for other patients who needed that bathroom -- I could barely leave it.  

There was no comfortable position to be in.  In the patient room I hugged the trashcan (which was pretty bad.)  

I got DH to tell the nurse that I wanted it out.  OUT.  The doctor was trying to check on me but everytime he'd get ready to come in, I was in the bathroom.  Finally he just sat and waited for me to get out.  (He wasn't impatient at all.)  

He takes it out and I immediately feel better.  I told him I would happily take the pitocin induction if I coul get that damn thing out NOW.  

All I could think was that the pit couldn't feel worse than that -- and if it did -- eff it and bring the epidural.  Birth plan out the window.  

Since then I've been having contractions and they are totally bearable.  They also feel nothing like whatever was going on with that damn bulb.  

The OB was completely puzzled by my physical reaction to it.  

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyRJ
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM
They used the foley bulb on my when I was already in labor but stalled (my water had broke)

Hurts like hell. I wanted to be drug free and up until then I couldn't handle it. I wish I had a good story but I don't. It hurts. Bad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
keeler_s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM

It appears it greatly varies, like labor.  

I've read many stories where it wasn't anything worse than cramping (which I'm finally having some of.)  

Quoting MommyRJ:

They used the foley bulb on my when I was already in labor but stalled (my water had broke)

Hurts like hell. I wanted to be drug free and up until then I couldn't handle it. I wish I had a good story but I don't. It hurts. Bad.

addiesmommy1109
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I was induced with the foley bulb my first time around. It was great for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I have no stories just wanted to wish you luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MyahsMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I had a foley bulb with my last induction and it was wonderful!!! It feels like just some pressure on your cervix. I had it in for like 4ish?? hours I believe when it fell out. After that they checked me and I was 5 cm. Nothing more happened after that, no contractions or anything, so many hours later they just broke my water. I immediately started having intense contractions after they broke my water and within a half an hour started feeling like I needed to push. Low and behold, I was fully dialated and she was coming out. It was maybe 2-3 pushes. So amazing! By far the easiest delivery I had! Oh, and I was only 1 cm at the most when they inserted the bulb and not effaced.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

These stories are making me feel better!  (Something sorely needed!)  

So, did you guys get the bulb and stay in the hospital or go home?  My doula seems to think that I'm going to be staying (so we're going prepared for that) but the OB said I could go home after when we asked him last week.  

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM

*hug* If I was in your shoes, I would go for the foley bulb! HERE are some other options. *hug* VERY BEST WISHES!!!! : ) 

Erica_Smerica
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM

hugs

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Turtledoves' birth story! She had a foley bulb induction that went beautifully last year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)