Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Poll

Question: Have you checked your cervix in late pregnancy?

Options:

yes

no

Other just incase lol

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 61

View Results

Did anyone check there own cervix in late pregnancy? I ask because i was talking to a firend today and she asked me if i was dilating and i told her i did not know i have not been checked yet but i will be at my next apt on the 31st. She looked at me kinda oddly and goes oh you can check if your dilated yourself. Is that even safe? i was shocked by her statment so it got me to wondering has anyone ever done this befor?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
pooh_williams
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I know alot of people track it while TTC but during pragnancy i would be afrade of infections. I know that being dilated does not mean anything heck i was 3cm dilated for weeks on end with my middle child and she was born at 42 weeks. i was just supper slow at starting labor now with my son when i hit 4cm it did not take long befor i was pushing. I only let my Dr check me once and that is when we do the 36 week swab test (i dont remember the name). I guess it just throw me that some people think to check there own cervix during pregnancy. Nothing wrong with it i guess if you feel comftorable but i think doing it for ttc is diffrent than just to see if your dilated.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

No, because knowing if I'm dilated or effaced means nothing, however I know how to check because I use cervical position when I track ovulation, so if I wanted I could.

My midwife doesn't do cervical checks at all.

JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I don't just track it for TTC I track it to avoid pregnancy too.

I would check if I was in labor a long time (days) and my midwife wasn't available, or if I was nearing 42 weeks, my midwife's cutoff, to see if anything was happening at all, but I've never needed to.

But to each their own. Honestly I'd prefer me up there than others, because I'm already introduced to any of the bacteria that would be on me.

Quoting pooh_williams:

I know alot of people track it while TTC but during pragnancy i would be afrade of infections. I know that being dilated does not mean anything heck i was 3cm dilated for weeks on end with my middle child and she was born at 42 weeks. i was just supper slow at starting labor now with my son when i hit 4cm it did not take long befor i was pushing. I only let my Dr check me once and that is when we do the 36 week swab test (i dont remember the name). I guess it just throw me that some people think to check there own cervix during pregnancy. Nothing wrong with it i guess if you feel comftorable but i think doing it for ttc is diffrent than just to see if your dilated.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

No, because knowing if I'm dilated or effaced means nothing, however I know how to check because I use cervical position when I track ovulation, so if I wanted I could.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM

i haven't but i should probably learn how.  i dilate very early.  26 weeks or sooner with all 3.  i saw this post earlier this morning and then googled cervix dilation.  it gave me a link that made me cry so be warned if you try to look it up. 

pooh_williams
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I see what you mean there i never thought of it like that. I guess that would make the chance of the infection less than the dr doing the cervical check.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I don't just track it for TTC I track it to avoid pregnancy too.

I would check if I was in labor a long time (days) and my midwife wasn't available, or if I was nearing 42 weeks, my midwife's cutoff, to see if anything was happening at all, but I've never needed to.

But to each their own. Honestly I'd prefer me up there than others, because I'm already introduced to any of the bacteria that would be on me.

Quoting pooh_williams:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

louzannalady
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I check my cervix as a part of NFP, but I NEVER (NEVER) touch my cervix when I am pregnant! I NEVER (repeat, NEVER) let my provider touch my cervix when I am pregnant or during labor. Unless, a complication arises (pre-term labor, labor with an unusual pattern, etc) there is NO VALID medical reason to touch this delicate sphincter muscle and it offers no useful information. A woman can sit at a three for two months or she can be locked up tighter than Fort Knox and deliver two hours later (not kidding, I have heard of both extremes many, many times!) Permitting a vaginal exam (either doing it yourself or someone else) increases the chances of infection and can adversely affect the mom's mental well-being (getting hopes up or hopes down for impending labor) and increases the chance of PROM's (water breaking before labor starts and sending you down the cascade of interventions- I just saw this EXACT thing happen in one of my birthing groups yesterday and it lead to an unplanned c-section). 

HERE is more info, if you are interested in studies and more data on the topic. 

jewmaw13
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I woukd but I honestly don't know how!
ImNotKarl
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I don't get checked until I'm in labor.

pooh_williams
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Thank you for this info.

Quoting louzannalady:

I check my cervix as a part of NFP, but I NEVER (NEVER) touch my cervix when I am pregnant! I NEVER (repeat, NEVER) let my provider touch my cervix when I am pregnant or during labor. Unless, a complication arises (pre-term labor, labor with an unusual pattern, etc) there is NO VALID medical reason to touch this delicate sphincter muscle and it offers no useful information. A woman sit at a three for two months or she can be locked up tighter than Fort Knox and deliver two hours later (not kidding, I have heard of both extremes many, many times!) Permitting a vaginal exam (either doing it yourself or someone else) increases the chances of infection and can adversely affect the mom's mental well-being (getting hopes up or hopes down for impending labor) and increases the chance of PROM's (water breaking before labor starts and sending you down the cascade of interventions- I just saw this EXACT thing happen in one of my birthing groups yesterday and it lead to an unplanned c-section). 

louzannalady
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM

You're welcome. Sorry, I was so emphatic. So many providers don't tell women these very real risks and the very, very limited benefits to this procedure. Goodness knows, I did not know to ask about the risks and benefits of this and many procedures my first time around. Congrats on your pregnancy and being so very far along! : ) 

Quoting pooh_williams:

Thank you for this info.

Quoting louzannalady:

I check my cervix as a part of NFP, but I NEVER (NEVER) touch my cervix when I am pregnant! I NEVER (repeat, NEVER) let my provider touch my cervix when I am pregnant or during labor. Unless, a complication arises (pre-term labor, labor with an unusual pattern, etc) there is NO VALID medical reason to touch this delicate sphincter muscle and it offers no useful information. A woman sit at a three for two months or she can be locked up tighter than Fort Knox and deliver two hours later (not kidding, I have heard of both extremes many, many times!) Permitting a vaginal exam (either doing it yourself or someone else) increases the chances of infection and can adversely affect the mom's mental well-being (getting hopes up or hopes down for impending labor) and increases the chance of PROM's (water breaking before labor starts and sending you down the cascade of interventions- I just saw this EXACT thing happen in one of my birthing groups yesterday and it lead to an unplanned c-section). 

tarakay0417
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
No. I let the Dr check it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN