Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

2 first time mom questions

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 24 Replies

So, this is my first. I'm 37 weeks today. I've been having rather painful sporadic contractions for awhile and it has just, naturally, gotten me thinking about baby's arrival. So, I have two questions. They might seem a little stupid, so my apologies lol.

Questions 1: I know some women go into labor and then have to have their water broken by the doctor. What causes this? Is it just baby's position or something? What are the chances of that happening?

Question 2: I know nesting is supposedly a sign of oncoming labor, and some things online seem to make it pretty extreme. Almost like it causes complete OCD right before labor. Well, is there the possibility of just pre-nesting, or is it not always as dramatic as some things I've read make it out to be? I have very little sleep lately and I'm exhausted, but all I can think about is different things I want to do around the house. I've been doing them slowly, almost anally too, but it isn't really this overwhelming urge I have to give in to. It's more of my brain has just decided to start preparing things.

Thanks in advance.

pregnancy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rockyhugs35
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
That a great question about the water breaking... I have no idea. So I hope someone else can answer that b
But as for nesting-not everyone does it. I had a list of things that needed to be done and I made sure they got done but I never went crazy. My best fiend however would wash and refold all her dd clothes and reorganize her home over and over because "it didn't seem right". So every mama to be is different.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MsGrayciesMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this
You don't have to have your water broken to be in labor, like in the movies, we see their water break and rush to the hospital..no. lol. Sometimes it doesn't break until baby is coming out! I think alot if Drs break it to 'push labor along'.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zinniadaisy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I nest early actually - I just finished a MASSIVE nesting phase and am only 31 weeks - I think b/c I know I have 3 other girls and I won't have the energy to do it later....

The spontaneous water break is a combo of baby position and pressure - kinda like pushing on a blown up balloon....

I have never had my water break on it's own though, even when I was at 4 cm, the baby wasn't low enough and not putting that pressure on, so OB did it to get things going

zinniadaisy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Ha!  yes, and in the movies your water breaks and you have about 12 minutes to get to the hospital before the baby is born.

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

You don't have to have your water broken to be in labor, like in the movies, we see their water break and rush to the hospital..no. lol. Sometimes it doesn't break until baby is coming out! I think alot if Drs break it to 'push labor along'.

clz0213
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Lol I didn't think it was really like that, but I wasn't sure if it made things not progress or not progress as fast if it didn't happen.

Quoting zinniadaisy:

Ha!  yes, and in the movies your water breaks and you have about 12 minutes to get to the hospital before the baby is born.

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I don't think it matters. But Drs will try to convince you it makes it faster. It also makes contractions much more painful :/ From what I've been told anyways. Haha

Quoting clz0213:

Lol I didn't think it was really like that, but I wasn't sure if it made things not progress or not progress as fast if it didn't happen.

Quoting zinniadaisy:

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM

lol.  mine was broken at the hopspital every time and the longest i lasted after that was 30 minutes. if it had broken at home, i never would have made it for any of them.  

Quoting zinniadaisy:

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

yroder2003
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM
My water was broken because my contractions were less than a minute apart but I wasn't dilating anymore, so the breaking helped push it along. I was also 4 days past my due date so I think they knew she was done cooking so to speak lol. I don't remember if I did the nesting part or not, but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary what your doing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting clz0213:

So, this is my first. I'm 37 weeks today. I've been having rather painful sporadic contractions for awhile and it has just, naturally, gotten me thinking about baby's arrival. So, I have two questions. They might seem a little stupid, so my apologies lol.

Questions 1: I know some women go into labor and then have to have their water broken by the doctor. What causes this? Is it just baby's position or something? What are the chances of that happening? There is no reason a Dr needs to break any womens water. One they do it because they say it speeds up labor. Which it does not all the time.

Question 2: I know nesting is supposedly a sign of oncoming labor, and some things online seem to make it pretty extreme. Almost like it causes complete OCD right before labor. Well, is there the possibility of just pre-nesting, or is it not always as dramatic as some things I've read make it out to be? I have very little sleep lately and I'm exhausted, but all I can think about is different things I want to do around the house. I've been doing them slowly, almost anally too, but it isn't really this overwhelming urge I have to give in to. It's more of my brain has just decided to start preparing things. Nesting is not always a sign. I never had it with my first two and with my last I had it from 6 months and on. It is just part of being pregnant.

Thanks in advance.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM
4 moms liked this

Question 1: Doctors break the women's water because it makes it seem like they are doing something. The purpose of the water is to help reduce the risk of infection and to give mom and baby a cushion during contractions and to give baby the ability to turn, which is why it usually doesn't break until you are much further dilated. Eighty-percent of women don't naturally have their water break until after they are dilated to an eight! Studies show that it does not speed labor. Studies show, it increases the chance of infection, drastically increases the chance of c-section, increases the chances baby will go into distress, makes it where baby is "stuck" in whatever position they were in and are less likely to turn or move, increases the chance of cord prolapse, more painful labor for mother.... The list goes on and on... HERE are some studies and articles.

Question 2: I, personally, have never nested. I imagine it can go in degrees, some women don't nest, some become extreme nesters.... : ) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)