Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I don't know how to tell people without offending them...

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 24 Replies
I don't like talking on the phone for hours... but my aunt, and my boyfriend's grandma always tries to call me.. everyday.. and I wouldn't mind but they like talking for hoursss.. I'm 39 weeks pregnant.. I don't feel like being on the phone.. when I'm not up trying to get stuff around the house done, I'm trying to relax and sleep before the baby gets here. So instead of telling them I have just started ignoring their calls. I feel bad but idk what else to do! Their phone calls originally start off with them asking how I'm feeling, which is nice, but everyday? I'm 39 weeks pregnant, how do you think I feel :-/ and I could deal with that phone call, but especially with his grandma she starts gossiping about everyone and everything and I try to just change the subject or say as little as possible because the stuff she talks about isn't any of my business ya know, I don't want to get in the middle of anything, especially when it's HIS side of the family, not mine.. I don't have any problems with anyone in his family, I am not into drama & gossip. I just don't know how to tell them that I don't like talking on the phone all day, and I've got other stuff to do..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Next time they ask how you're feeling tell them you are exhausted and are trying to nap and you'll call them back later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I just ignore phone calls.

tanper29
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I would do the first. Tell them ur tiredand u were about to lay down. If they still dont get the hint ignore their calls.
puertoricangeek
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Change your voicemail to say that you are exhausted and will be resting until baby gets here. Tell them to leave a message and you will call them back if it is important.

jraedeaton
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I have in-laws the same way! I feel this anxiety often because she will call and I just cant get myself to call her back.. I know its because I feel a little guilty.. I personally just don't like talking on the phone but the rest of my family will text unless its important.. that's what I like texting is simple and you don't have to be completely engaged. But I'm not much help I just will ignore the calls...

Mom2five87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM

My DH's mom is JUST like that. I ignore her calls too. I don't want to be mean but I can't help it. I try to tell her I need to get off the phone and she'll say okay but then she just keeps talking. lol. I usually don't answer when she calls. I figure if it's really important she'll leave a voice mail. lol

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you just have to be gentle and honest. Tell them you are tired and trying to get rest and get stuff done before baby comes. Tell them you enjoy visiting but need to keep it short and not do it every day.

newmom3917
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Yes! I feel guilty ignoring the calls but honestly, I don't feel like talking.. people ask me the same questions every single day and I get annoyed with answering them because it's the same people, same questions, and I'm going to give them the same answers! I understand that some people like to be on the phone for hours, but I don't like to! Most of my family understands, but his just doesn't.. Honestly sometimes SO will ignore his grandma's calls because she calls him more than once a day! I understand that she's older and gets lonely, but there's got to be something else she can do to keep herself busy, or someone else she can call.. we visit them often at their house so it's not like we aren't in contact with them.. it's just a little much.

Quoting jraedeaton:

I have in-laws the same way! I feel this anxiety often because she will call and I just cant get myself to call her back.. I know its because I feel a little guilty.. I personally just don't like talking on the phone but the rest of my family will text unless its important.. that's what I like texting is simple and you don't have to be completely engaged. But I'm not much help I just will ignore the calls...

newmom3917
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

That's how they are.. I'll be like oh I'm doing dishes, or laundry or whatever, and they will continue talking my ear off.. and then it really gets me when they then proceed to repeat themselves and tell me things that they already told me in the same conversation.. it drives me nuts. then I'll be like okay well I've gotta go, and they'll say okay,.... and continue to talk! WTH! lol I rather person to person conversations, or a quick text here and there, I don't like having my phone up to my ear for hours, it makes it so I can't get things done.

Quoting Mom2five87:

My DH's mom is JUST like that. I ignore her calls too. I don't want to be mean but I can't help it. I try to tell her I need to get off the phone and she'll say okay but then she just keeps talking. lol. I usually don't answer when she calls. I figure if it's really important she'll leave a voice mail. lol

smurfbitebug
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I have the same issue. Hints don't work. I stopped answering the phone unless I'm actually in the mood to talk and disabled my voicemail, because his mother calls over & over & OVER if you don't answer and then leaves a voicemail that is twenty min long saying, "Hello? Heeellllloooo? Pick up. Pick up!" Rude. And stupid. It's voicemail. Dumbass. So I no longer deal with it. One day I just said Fuck it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)