Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

38 week check up.. Wtf doc!!

Posted by   + Show Post
My doctor is very short..(time wise) he came in immediately told me he wanted to see me Monday in hopes that I might want to be induced... (No only for medical reasons...) he strapped his glove on..And dove in.. Holy cow did that hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm covered in tattoos head to toe... And I started to he all teared from the cervical check. I was and have been in pain for like a week, and the last two days it's painful to walk. He just made jokes about it cause I had tattoos that this should be a no problem. Fuck you, doc, I'm pretty sure your fingers just raped my vagina... I was embarrassed.. He says "no change" and throws away his gloves then walks out the door. That's it. I didn't have any time to tell him any of my concerns about a birth plan... Or my problems that I have been having (I never really had any before, until now) like spotting slight give of pink on my undies that day, or the severe pain I was having the past two days (he might have been nicer to me when he did the cervical check if he did) or the fact I have been having diarhea for over 2 weeks straight (tmi)! C'mon...

I know this is a major rant, but I have 1.5 weeks left till edd....

1. Would you changedoctors this late?
2. Did you experience very sensitive to painful vaginal pains even just to walk? Or even when you were being checked for dilation was it really painful?
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (31-40):
Cynthje
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Well you dont have to get checked at all! And i would be looking for a new dr right away, i think i would rather give birth in a car than have someone like that attend my birth

ferne3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

1.  Yes.  Was a nurse in with you both?  Sounds very opening scene to 'hand that rock the cradle'

2.  Yes and no.  First time No, this time yes to walking.  The only time I had that kind of pain last time is when the mid wife decided to 'help' my cervix dialate and manually tried to force it to expand.  Yeah, um not again.

I hate when I hear stories like this.  He has no idea how much it does or doesn't hurt - a man never could.  As I heard a comedienne say once 'I'd never go to a mechanic who doesn't own their own car'  I get all women have difference pain tolerance and experience pain differently, but this is one instance where I think gender matters (sorry to anyone who knows a great male OB but this isn't the first time I heard something like this.)  RUN, run to another doc as soon as you can.  If it is a multi-doc practice, ask to see another one.  It is such a HUGE red light if he isn't listening/talking/paying attention to you.  If you decide to stay, force him to talk.  When you make the appointment for your next visit tell the person so they can schedule extra time, tell the nurse who walks you to the room, chase him down the hall if you have to with a loud, 'excuse me doctor, but I am not finished asking my questions.'  As their patient you are their CLIENT and their job is as much to listen to you as it is to perform physical checks.  What you have to say is as important as the rest of it, if not more since you could be experiencing things that are red flags for problems.  Make him explain everything he is going to do before you put your legs up and why he thinks it is important.  Be a pain in the butt.  If he is like this for a check up, there are a bajillion possible choices in labor and if isn't checking in with you now, I only fear he won't ask you before he does things in delivery.  Good luck Moma - you don't need this stress, but I wish you all the best in your delivery.

gamelas
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

i bet he stripped membranes without your conscent,  it's sadly pretty common.  first off, yes i'd chnge, but i would have never been with him in the first place.  youdo not need cervical checks.  they don't predict labor and only agitate and introduce bacteria.  if you stay with him, you can decline all checks.  baby will come when it's ready.  yes they can be painful, but they shouldn't be rough and mean.

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Was your dr always like this? I think you should have switched a long time ago but it's never to late to find someone you're more comfortable with. If he's like that with an exam I can only imagine how he will be during labor. Wishing you the best of luck.

No my cervical exams weren't painful at all. My midwives were gentle I guess.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM
It doesn't hurt me at all to get checked so either something is wrong or he just wasn't very gentle lol. Idk if I would switch that late because what if you switch & don't like the other doctor? I would def MAKE him talk to you the next time though or call & make another appointment
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I would try to find another doctor. If you have to go back to this one, do NOT remove your pants. That simple. And make him listen to you. Refuse to leave the room if he leaves before you're done. Then when you are in labor, I would ask for a different doctor as soon as you get to the hospital.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM

The vaginal pain could be from changes trying to go on (dilating or effacing). And yes, when I got to that point in my pregnancy the cervical checks brought me to tears. 

I'd absolute change docs AND file a HUGE complaint about the way he treated you! I'm so sorry girl!

LilByrd
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Yes it is normal to get checked. My doctor did it with both pregnancys. U do not have to have it done but I did and my 2nd baby it did hurt. Me and my hubby had to stop sex around 36 weeks casue it hurt. 

Quoting PresleyLove:

I wasn't asked if I wanted to, it's just their standard procedure I guess.. Is this not normal???

Quoting doulala:

Yes, absollutely change!

And I don't get checked.    Why did you want to?  

USM0MMY
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I didn't feel any pain when I had my Pap done... I haven't had a cervical check done yet though (I'm 31 weeks with my 1st child), so I guess we'll see if I experience any pain/discomfort

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Oh and as for the painful exam no, I mean it's been uncomfortable but never extremely painful for more than that day or anything like that. My Pap smear hurts worse than my exam and that pain only lasts the afternoon :/ sorry. !!!

MrsKish
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

does he always make comments like that rude, kinda sexual and insensitive? 

Quoting PresleyLove:

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)