Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy
So I wenr to my 39 week appt and I hace to decide between 2 different type of birth control and I wanted everyones opinion if they use them and such. Idk which to pick lol. I have to choose between Mirena and Paraguard. Also, im hoping they dont interfere with breastfeeding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I had a the copper IUD for about a year. I chose it because it is hormone free and I have had really bad experiences with BC in general. Anyway the only side effect I had was longer periods with cramps. I never had cramps before the IUD. Still I only had it a year, so maybe I am not someone who should talk about the effects of it. My body hates BC.

Kmommy2011
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM
I seen someone post on here about getting pregnant on Merina... I had Mirena for a year and a half when I had it removed (wanted TTC) and I concieved right away! I didnt have any problems besides it cost me 2,000 dollars! I think it really just depends on your body.
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I don't recommend the Mirena. I've heard too many pregnancy stories and seen 5 real life examples now, example, my god baby is now 7 months old (Mirena baby). Her mother's Mirena both broke and embedded inside of her.

Paragard, I'm cautious to recommend because of personal experience. If you go that route I recommend you make sure they will remove it at ANYTIME you feel you do not want it anymore. I say this because mine embedded and I went through HELL trying to get it out. I also found out that though they downplay and dismiss it copper toxicity is a real risk, especially if you already have a metal allergy (which I do to gold).  Before my ordeal I really loved it. Only problem was my husband would get poked occasionally. So that's my take on the Paragard.

RedheadMama18
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I was trying to decide between those two IUDs also. I'm leaning towards Mirena at the moment.
Jess21608
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I dont want either! BC makes me pretty sick, and before I have the OB that I have now another OB i was contemplating wanted me on Yaz during the time there were lawsuits against it..umm hello why would prescribe it? Anyways my current OB hasnt said anything about getting on a bc after this baby..did your talk to you..I was curious at what appt they do that at? I have my 38 week appt next wed.

Mariah-1987
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM
I am not good with birth control either. Even the smallest dose of hormones messes with me horribly. I had the mirena a year and had it removed pills before that and never liked them. Before this pregnancies I was on lutera. It seemed ok but I was only on it 3 months. I think this time we are just gonna have to use condoms or nfp. I don't want hormones anymore.

Quoting jellybeanjean:

I had a the copper IUD for about a year. I chose it because it is hormone free and I have had really bad experiences with BC in general. Anyway the only side effect I had was longer periods with cramps. I never had cramps before the IUD. Still I only had it a year, so maybe I am not someone who should talk about the effects of it. My body hates BC.

mama-smurf
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Im really torn...maybe I should say skip it and just get tubal...

I want mirena because heard it stops or decreases your periods and the paraguard increases it....
DKk0531
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM
I have been on both. Mirena it was way too crazy with the hormones. I would never ever go back to it. Paragard im getting out tomorrow...yay lol...ttc. The only issue i had was extremely heavy periods. But i havent been on it for even a yr yet.
Mommynwife26
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I have the implanon (now norplanon) and id recommend it. Its safe with breastfeeding, goes in the arm. I don't have periods on it, no real side effects, didn't gain weight but have had troubles loosing weight which some people say its cause of it.
mommyof2kids306
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I had the mirena and I don't recommend it. Mine hurt me bad and when I got it taken out it didn't want to come out. I don't know anything about the other

Quoting mama-smurf:

So I wenr to my 39 week appt and I hace to decide between 2 different type of birth control and I wanted everyones opinion if they use them and such. Idk which to pick lol. I have to choose between Mirena and Paraguard. Also, im hoping they dont interfere with breastfeeding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)