Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy
So I wenr to my 39 week appt and I hace to decide between 2 different type of birth control and I wanted everyones opinion if they use them and such. Idk which to pick lol. I have to choose between Mirena and Paraguard. Also, im hoping they dont interfere with breastfeeding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
DKk0531
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Ive heard of that. One of my friends when i was in the navy had it. But my dr said he didnt do those after i had dd and then i just got mirena and forgot about it

Quoting Mommynwife26:

I have the implanon (now norplanon) and id recommend it. Its safe with breastfeeding, goes in the arm. I don't have periods on it, no real side effects, didn't gain weight but have had troubles loosing weight which some people say its cause of it.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM

The Paraguard has no hormones and uses copper as a spermicide. It will not impact your supply. The Mirena does have progesterone and may affect supply, though it is fairly rare. Small amounts of that hormone do get into your milk, though. The Mirena can cause depression, acne and weight gain, due to the hormones (not guaranteed to happen, but it does happen). The Paraguard lasts up to ten years. The Mirena lasts up to five. Both are linked to scarring of the cervix, so if you do want to have more children, know that and that it may impact how quickly you dilate when you are in labor. 

Mommynwife26
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM
I ended up getting it at planned parenthood because I didn't wanna wait 5hrs to get it done through my dr lol. I love it, best birth control I've ever been on and I tried everything besides iuds

Quoting DKk0531:

Ive heard of that. One of my friends when i was in the navy had it. But my dr said he didnt do those after i had dd and then i just got mirena and forgot about it

Quoting Mommynwife26:

I have the implanon (now norplanon) and id recommend it. Its safe with breastfeeding, goes in the arm. I don't have periods on it, no real side effects, didn't gain weight but have had troubles loosing weight which some people say its cause of it.

x_Starr_x
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM
i had the paraguard for years worked fine now mirena is the devil and yes there trying to take it off the market due to so many issues.
mama-smurf
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM
What about periods?

Quoting louzannalady:

The Paraguard has no hormones and uses copper as a spermicide. It will not impact your supply. The Mirena does have progesterone and may affect supply, though it is fairly rare. Small amounts of that hormone do get into your milk, though. The Mirena can cause depression, acne and weight gain, due to the hormones (not guaranteed to happen, but it does happen). The Paraguard lasts up to ten years. The Mirena lasts up to five. Both are linked to scarring of the cervix, so if you do want to have more children, know that and that it may impact how quickly you dilate when you are in labor. 

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I have heard good and bad about that point for both IUD's. You never know once you get it in, which way it will go for you. I have heard more women talk about heavier bleeding, but their regular cycle continuing with Paraguard, than anything. And with the Mirena, more often than not, I hear of women have their period stop or only show up occasionally or just end up being regular but very light. When I had it, only had one full period a year and four or five days of spotting off and on through out a year. Of course, it made me gain weight and made me bat-crap crazy and scarred my cervix, though! 

Quoting mama-smurf:

What about periods?

Quoting louzannalady:

Kountry_Girl
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM

i personally wouldnt get an IUD, a few of my friends have them and i have heard them complain about it more than once..it shifts and is painful and when that happens there is a chance of pregnancy accuring..I know for sure im done so i am getting a tubal.. the only other form of birth control i have ever used were condoms..but for me personally either way i cant stand the thought of having something up inside of me like that..gl with your choice..definatly do research!

MNmommy08
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I had Mirena before this current pregnancy and never really thought I was having side effects until I had it removed. For the 4 1/2 years I had it in, I barely had a period (which was wonderful). I also gained 60 pounds and no matter what I did, I could not lose it. Once I had it removed to TTC, I lost 20 pounds. I was able to get my periods regulated again after 2 months. The weight is the only thing stopping me from doing it again because I started out at 321 when I had it removed, I am currently 317 at 36 weeks pregnant. I can't wait to see what I lose with baby. DF is getting snipped so I don't really have to worry about BC anymore and if he is part of that small percentage, then I will just end up pregnant again and not worry to much because then it was meant to be. Good luck in your search!!

livingrlovesong
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM
There's a woman on here who got pregnant with twins on mirena. Mine "fell" into my cervix and dr said i Would have probably gotten pregnant had they not discovered it
Denisethedaring
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I have a Mirena and I looooooove it.  I haven't had a period in 6 months. :)  Absolutely no side effects other than the missing period, which was the side effect I was shooting for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)