Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Has anyone had a failed induction?

Posted by   + Show Post
On January 22 I went in to be induced ( I was 41 weeks at this time) They skipped the cytotec because I was already having regular contractions when I got to the hospital even though I had no idea I was having them. I was also 1 cm dilated and my cervix was not softened ay all when I got there. They started me on pitocin and kept asking me if I was feeling my contractions and I said no. They got to where they were at the max amount of pitocin they could give me and I was just barely feeling my contractions. They were pretty stunned and checked me again but I was still only 1 cm and not softened or as they would say "2 long" after 11 hours of pitocin and no changes they decided to send me home. They will be trying to induce me again at 42 weeks. Has anyone ever had pitocin and not feel their contractions very much ? Also did you go to get induced a second time and did it work? I'm pretty sure of it doesn't work this second time I will be getting a cesarean. The crazy thing was that I went home in no pain but a couple hours later I went to get off my couch and when I put any kind of pressure on my right leg it would send terrible pain through my hip and lower back and I couldn't even walk. Luckily I can walk now but still painful when I do. I know this sounds terrible but I really don't want to try the pitocin again I feel so mentally and physically drained that cesarean is starting to look like a good idea sometimes which is crazy cuz I never wanted a cesarean. I also don't want to have an epidural. Sorry for typing so much just really emotional and confused.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Replies (21-30):
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Cytotec is so UNBELIEVABLY dangerous! Even the makers of it and the FDA say not to use it to induce labor, because it is so dangerous!!!! : *( 

HERE is more info, including the FDA's statement from their site.  

Quoting TrabysMommmy:

What state are you in?  I've been induced with both of my boys and it they were successful.... They should be doing non-stress test on you like one of the ladies said.... Once i turn 32 wks I will do non-stress test twice a week and a BPP once a week because of me being diabetic.... They used the cytotec when I got induced with Logan and it worked awesome.....  Hope they figure something out for you soon...

~Laura~

ImNotKarl
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM

They shouldn't have had to skip the Cytotech. It shouldn't be being used at all. Period. It has a known history of abnormally high risk for uterine rupture and hyperstimulation when being used for inductions. It's used in chemical abortions. I would be pissed if I found out they were inducing women with it, especially after the lawsuit in CA that awarded $70 million because it's use was dubbed medical malpractice.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM

HERE is info on low fluids. What where your levels at?

HERE is info on post-dates.

HERE is the ACOG (American Congress of OB/GYN's) statement on suspected fetal macrosomia (suspected big baby)

HERE is info on the various forms of induction, to help you make an informed decision each ones risks and benefits.

Quoting fowlerlf:

Well got my ultrasound done and looks like baby is 8 pounds 12 ounces. The doc seemed worried about the levels of amniotic fluid because they looked low but then he found an extra pocket of fluid up by her feet and he said it looks good for now but stressed that we should not go past 42 weeks. I am not going to do whatever it takes to get her out by 42 weeks because I really don't want to risk her health

Cynthje
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I cant believe there are still doctors out there using cytotec that stuff is dangerous :(

OP be glad it was never used on you! you are the one who had to make a choice, its not up to your doctors, if you dont want to be induced then dont and if you dont want the c-section then dont, normal human conception is 38-42 weeks, this means 42 full weeks so you should have some time yet! good luck and hang in there

fowlerlf
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I had no idea cytotec was so dangerous .... I will definitely refuse that stuff!!!!
fowlerlf
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Not sure in the exact levels I didn't ask
xredstarsx
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Yes with my first I was induced, it failed. I went in again 3 days later to try again. It failed again and I ended up with a c section. With my second I wanted a vbac and went to 42 weeks 2 days before getting another c section.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Well, read the link about weighing the risks and benefits of inducing for low fluids. It is important to know what level you are at, to know if inducing is truly medically indicated. I am just a little leery. You listed pretty much every reason that an OB can use to try to convince a woman into an unneeded induction: "low" fluids, "big" baby and being post dates. 

Quoting fowlerlf:

Not sure in the exact levels I didn't ask

sparklebug86
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

yea I agree with this!

Pitocin can do major damage and more often than not, you end up with a c-section. If pitocin cant do it, I dont think youre ready

Also thank goodness they didnt give you cytotec, it has some crazy side effects and again can be very dangerous! 

Quoting louzannalady:

*hug* I am sorry this is happening! I am glad they sent you home and quit forcing things! How sure are you about your guess date? 

HERE is info on guess dates for your consideration, Momma!

CafeMom Tickers

MamaScho88
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I was induced for my first child when she was 8 days past her due date, we first did cervadil overnight, it didn't do anything at all, the next morning I was started on pitocin and I had "contractions" all day long...no progression, that afternoon/evening I was taken off the pitocin and the contractions completely stopped, so I was basically in "fake labor" all day, I was told to get a good night sleep and I was going to have a baby the next day (mind you I was in the hospital for the whole duration of this)...I woke up the next morning, took a shower and at 8am the dr broke my water, then real labor started, my daughter was born 6 hours later...so she was born 10 days after she was due...my dr would have never let me go to 42 weeks...she was my biggest baby weighing 8 lbs 1 oz

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)