Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Has anyone had a failed induction?

Posted by   + Show Post
On January 22 I went in to be induced ( I was 41 weeks at this time) They skipped the cytotec because I was already having regular contractions when I got to the hospital even though I had no idea I was having them. I was also 1 cm dilated and my cervix was not softened ay all when I got there. They started me on pitocin and kept asking me if I was feeling my contractions and I said no. They got to where they were at the max amount of pitocin they could give me and I was just barely feeling my contractions. They were pretty stunned and checked me again but I was still only 1 cm and not softened or as they would say "2 long" after 11 hours of pitocin and no changes they decided to send me home. They will be trying to induce me again at 42 weeks. Has anyone ever had pitocin and not feel their contractions very much ? Also did you go to get induced a second time and did it work? I'm pretty sure of it doesn't work this second time I will be getting a cesarean. The crazy thing was that I went home in no pain but a couple hours later I went to get off my couch and when I put any kind of pressure on my right leg it would send terrible pain through my hip and lower back and I couldn't even walk. Luckily I can walk now but still painful when I do. I know this sounds terrible but I really don't want to try the pitocin again I feel so mentally and physically drained that cesarean is starting to look like a good idea sometimes which is crazy cuz I never wanted a cesarean. I also don't want to have an epidural. Sorry for typing so much just really emotional and confused.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Replies (31-40):
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Yep. Failed induction and c-section for failure to progress.
circle_of_life
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

As long as you are fine and the baby is fine there is no need to induce or have a c-section. Obviously your baby and body wasn't ready.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

It sounds like you don't have a medical reason/or know of a reason to intervene.    Since interventions are risky (especially inductions/Pitocin, etc) it's important to weigh risks.     

What are your priorities?

Why do you want to induce?

crheinheimer
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM
With my oldest dd the pitocin never worked and I was sent home. I went back 3 days later and it did work that time, I had a healthy 8 lb 13 oz baby. Pushed for 2 1/2 hours, but it was worth it! Good luck! Keep us updated!
babynurse244
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I did. I had bad PIH, they decided to deliver me. I also was 1 cm, on pitocin with a soft cervix, wouldn't dilate for anything. I'm an L&D nurse and my doc has an extremely low C/S rate, she doesn't do them unless absolutely necessary. I went nowhere after 24 hours and ended up with a C/S because we couldn't wait any longer with my blood pressures.

We have sent people home. Some come back in labor on their own, some are more successful the second time. If you're not 100% sure of your dates, you could be a little early. As long as baby is okay, and there is nothing funny going on with mom, you can usually wait.

HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM
With Michael (my only induction) I went in at a 3. After 2 hours of pitocin the contractions were seriously laughable. I could barely feel them.

They broke my water (I still hadn't progressed, but Michael developed a heart arythmia so we needed to deliver him) and only then did I get ctx.
GabeAiyAra
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM
i had pitocin. contractions wer off the charts. didnt feel ish! after almost 18 hrs of nothing, i had to get a csection. good luck & prayers to you! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM
You got lucky. Yoh dont want an inducted labor:)
My sil had the same happen yo her but they just c sectioned her.
WonderWomanSV
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

In order for your contractions to come naturally, you have to be relaxed, body and mind. If you're tense your body will not go into labor. I got induced after my water starting leaking. I never felt very strong contractions, but I got an epidural early ( I was young and uninformed). After 16 hrs I only dialted to 4.5 cm. Since they had broken my water, I got a c-setion. Try to relax your body this week and do some deep breathing exercises . Maybe you will go into labor on your own before the next sceduled induction. Good luck.

KatieGirls2
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I went in over a wee past do and go cervidil three times but it wasn't doing much then they did the foley bulb which is what did it for me. After that fell out I lost my mucus plug and my tiny bit of water broke and they started pit. If they hadn't done the foley I am sure I would have ended up with a c section as well. Be sure to ask about that if they don't suggest it. It wasn't fun getting it put in, but better than a. C section.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)