Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

A story of induction gone wrong.

Posted by   + Show Post

My friend wanted me to post this, after having an induction go very wrong. She wishes she were more informed! This is just so we all do our research before making rash decisions!!!

She was 38.6 weeks. She is a tiny little thing, around 5'1 and while pregnant only got up to about 130ish. She was so tired of being pregnant, the pain of carrying all of the weight, she wasnt used to it. She went with cervical checks starting at 35 weeks.... and to her dissapointment week after week, no dialation, no thinning. She began to think she was never going to have this baby.

She was having a lot of prodormal labor. We chatted almost everynight, and I told her to hang in there, and tried to give as much advice and support as I could.

At her last growth ultrasound around 37 weeks, baby was measuring around 6 and a half pounds. She thought that was plenty big enough for her!

She messaged me and told me she was going to call and ask to be induced, untill the doctor gave in, that she just couldnt take it anymore! I told her to try and wait it out, to be patient, that ultrasound measurements can be wrong, that there are many risks with induction. I sent her links and told her to please research before making a rash decision! But at the time it fell on deaf ears, she didnt want to do this anymore.

So the doctor gave in. She went in, and they started pitocin. Hours later, her water broke on its own, but she was barely at 1cm. 17 hours later, she was progressing soooo slowly. The babies heartrate went crazy. They wanted to do an emergency csection.

They took her in, and knocked her out (she was having epidural issues, she didnt want an epidural in the first place but the pitocin made her labor unbearable). She woke up, and her baby was in the NICU. He had the cord wrapped around his neck 3 times, came out not breathing. He was a tiny 5 pounds 4 ounces, and his lungs were not mature. It looked like his due date may have been off.

She wanted so badly to have her baby in her arms, but now she is recovering from a painful traumatic csection, with her baby having issues in the NICU. At this point she doesnt even know if she wants more kids.

PLEASE BE INFORMED! I know some inductions are easy and amazing, but please, just know the risks!!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cynthje
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Im from a culture where elective indutctions dont exist so its hard for me to understand it, even if its the doctor pushing it there is nothing stopping moms (and dads) from educating themselves and making their own choices.

The problem seems to be cultural to me, its like there is this culture of fear on both the doctors side and the parents side and that basically dictates where things go

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

I think more often (just from reading online, no actual research) it's the doctor's pushing for induction. But as far as the mom's pushing, I can't entirely blame the doctors for giving in. They shouldn't-- but it is us that hire them. If we're not happy with the care we receive, we won't be going back. And it seems to me like a lot of women choose their health care providers through word of mouth. <-- Not that any of that would make it right to induce, it does put an incentive for the doctor to do what the woman wants though.

Quoting Cynthje:

this poor baby probably just wasnt ready to be born :( and thats where the main risk of elective ealry induction is. I just wish doctors would stop agreeing with it and moms would start educating themselves. 
the cord probably had nothing to do with it 

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

Erica_Smerica
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Fear, impatience, and ignorance. I know I was super impatience with my first. I expected him shortly after 37 weeks. When labor didn't start until 41 weeks, I was miserable. 

With this one I haven't felt that yet. Could be a smaller baby, could just be me telling myself that I've got 4 to 9 weeks left. Could just be that I'm only 33 weeks now. I guess we'll see. I'm hoping that it makes it easier to stay patient if I realize that the due date is just an estimate and nothing else.

Quoting Cynthje:

Im from a culture where elective indutctions dont exist so its hard for me to understand it, even if its the doctor pushing it there is nothing stopping moms (and dads) from educating themselves and making their own choices.

The problem seems to be cultural to me, its like there is this culture of fear on both the doctors side and the parents side and that basically dictates where things go

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

I think more often (just from reading online, no actual research) it's the doctor's pushing for induction. But as far as the mom's pushing, I can't entirely blame the doctors for giving in. They shouldn't-- but it is us that hire them. If we're not happy with the care we receive, we won't be going back. And it seems to me like a lot of women choose their health care providers through word of mouth. <-- Not that any of that would make it right to induce, it does put an incentive for the doctor to do what the woman wants though.

Quoting Cynthje:

this poor baby probably just wasnt ready to be born :( and thats where the main risk of elective ealry induction is. I just wish doctors would stop agreeing with it and moms would start educating themselves. 

Cynthje
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Good luck with that! both my babies were 39 weekers so i got lucky, my sister had her second at 42 weeks and 5 days and i was prepared to wait from the start. Due dates are just estimates and no magic dates

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

Fear, impatience, and ignorance. I know I was super impatience with my first. I expected him shortly after 37 weeks. When labor didn't start until 41 weeks, I was miserable. 

With this one I haven't felt that yet. Could be a smaller baby, could just be me telling myself that I've got 4 to 9 weeks left. Could just be that I'm only 33 weeks now. I guess we'll see. I'm hoping that it makes it easier to stay patient if I realize that the due date is just an estimate and nothing else.

Quoting Cynthje:

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

Quoting Cynthje:

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM

How awful!  I wish she had listened to you.  =(

Erica_Smerica
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I can't fathom going past 42 weeks. I guess for me that's a mental hurdle since I'll have to do a hospital birth instead of the at home birth we're hoping for. Blah! 

Quoting Cynthje:

Good luck with that! both my babies were 39 weekers so i got lucky, my sister had her second at 42 weeks and 5 days and i was prepared to wait from the start. Due dates are just estimates and no magic dates

1wildchild
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Poor baby! I hope he will be ok, and I hope your friend has a quick recovery.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katie11908
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Wow. Here doctor's cant legally induce in less medically neccessary till 39weeks! :(

avaana06
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

It was nice of you to be a good friend and to send her all of the information. That is upsetting that she didn't listen. Most women are terribly uncomfortable the last few weeks. You will forever sacrifice yourself for your children. Sadly she is learning that the hard way. :(

DixonBabies
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM

:(. Poor baby. Hope he gets better soon.

Cynthje
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

ah ok, thats not the case here, after 42 full weeks the mom can have an nst if she wants to make sure all is ok but its not seen as a cause to induce in itself, its not that common for moms to over the 42 full weeks thoug but some women just gestate longer than others

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

I can't fathom going past 42 weeks. I guess for me that's a mental hurdle since I'll have to do a hospital birth instead of the at home birth we're hoping for. Blah! 

Quoting Cynthje:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN