Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

A story of induction gone wrong.

Posted by   + Show Post

My friend wanted me to post this, after having an induction go very wrong. She wishes she were more informed! This is just so we all do our research before making rash decisions!!!

She was 38.6 weeks. She is a tiny little thing, around 5'1 and while pregnant only got up to about 130ish. She was so tired of being pregnant, the pain of carrying all of the weight, she wasnt used to it. She went with cervical checks starting at 35 weeks.... and to her dissapointment week after week, no dialation, no thinning. She began to think she was never going to have this baby.

She was having a lot of prodormal labor. We chatted almost everynight, and I told her to hang in there, and tried to give as much advice and support as I could.

At her last growth ultrasound around 37 weeks, baby was measuring around 6 and a half pounds. She thought that was plenty big enough for her!

She messaged me and told me she was going to call and ask to be induced, untill the doctor gave in, that she just couldnt take it anymore! I told her to try and wait it out, to be patient, that ultrasound measurements can be wrong, that there are many risks with induction. I sent her links and told her to please research before making a rash decision! But at the time it fell on deaf ears, she didnt want to do this anymore.

So the doctor gave in. She went in, and they started pitocin. Hours later, her water broke on its own, but she was barely at 1cm. 17 hours later, she was progressing soooo slowly. The babies heartrate went crazy. They wanted to do an emergency csection.

They took her in, and knocked her out (she was having epidural issues, she didnt want an epidural in the first place but the pitocin made her labor unbearable). She woke up, and her baby was in the NICU. He had the cord wrapped around his neck 3 times, came out not breathing. He was a tiny 5 pounds 4 ounces, and his lungs were not mature. It looked like his due date may have been off.

She wanted so badly to have her baby in her arms, but now she is recovering from a painful traumatic csection, with her baby having issues in the NICU. At this point she doesnt even know if she wants more kids.

PLEASE BE INFORMED! I know some inductions are easy and amazing, but please, just know the risks!!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Replies (21-25):
Mrswalker2012
by Erica on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Wow I can say I feel for her. I ended up having to have an emergency c section because my little girls heart rate dropped all the way into the 50s and all of this happened the day before my due date, I wasn't induced though. I was in alot of pain and still recovering and not happy that I had to have one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM
My induction wasn't easy but it was very routine. I was also already four cm too. I don't think inductions are good for first timers. I went natural the first time and was easier than induction but the induction was faster. I think they should reserve them for medical reasons only. I get really sick of women complaining about "pain" while pregnant. I have kidney stones while pregnant. I have real pain. I wouldn't mind a day or two of just feeling pregnant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Erica_Smerica
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I don't think going past 42 weeks will mean an automatic induction for me, but it would mean that my midwife couldn't legally attend the at home birth. And I don't think I'd want to have an unassisted at home birth.

Quoting Cynthje:

ah ok, thats not the case here, after 42 full weeks the mom can have an nst if she wants to make sure all is ok but its not seen as a cause to induce in itself, its not that common for moms to over the 42 full weeks thoug but some women just gestate longer than others

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

I can't fathom going past 42 weeks. I guess for me that's a mental hurdle since I'll have to do a hospital birth instead of the at home birth we're hoping for. Blah! 

Quoting Cynthje:

Good luck with that! both my babies were 39 weekers so i got lucky, my sister had her second at 42 weeks and 5 days and i was prepared to wait from the start. Due dates are just estimates and no magic dates

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

This is exactly why doctors don't do inductions like this. OR shouldn't anyway. My OB office refuses to unless for medical reasons until 41 weeks. Can't take it anymore? Really? I'm short as well and duh it's uncomfortable, but what do you expect? I feel bad for the baby for all of this in all honesty. His lungs not being mature and they did the induction anyway, smh..

Cynthje
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

UC is not for everyone and i would not advice it unless its something the mom is confortable with. I hope you wont be pressured too much if you do go over the 42 week mark. It depends on what your comfortable with as well so really all a mom can do is make an informed decision! 

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

I don't think going past 42 weeks will mean an automatic induction for me, but it would mean that my midwife couldn't legally attend the at home birth. And I don't think I'd want to have an unassisted at home birth.

Quoting Cynthje:

ah ok, thats not the case here, after 42 full weeks the mom can have an nst if she wants to make sure all is ok but its not seen as a cause to induce in itself, its not that common for moms to over the 42 full weeks thoug but some women just gestate longer than others

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

I can't fathom going past 42 weeks. I guess for me that's a mental hurdle since I'll have to do a hospital birth instead of the at home birth we're hoping for. Blah! 

Quoting Cynthje:

Good luck with that! both my babies were 39 weekers so i got lucky, my sister had her second at 42 weeks and 5 days and i was prepared to wait from the start. Due dates are just estimates and no magic dates

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)