Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

breech baby?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM
  • 11 Replies
So i have been told that my baby is head down but i haven't had an ultrasound for that. My midwife says she can just feel the baby and tell. Can she or should i request an ultrasound? Last night baby got hiccups and my MIL says that where i felt them could mean baby is beech. I could feel hiccups in my cervix and really low. MIL says i should feel them high if baby is head down. Is she right or should i trust my midwife that baby is head down? I'm almost 38 weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Why not map your belly yourself? I would not trust a provider if they had to rely on an ultrasound! Lol! Your midwife rocks! : ) 

http://www.yourmidwife.com.au/bellymap.pdf

try4baby20
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM
No reason for an U/s for one hiccups come from mouth and diaphragm not the butt so head down baby = low hiccups for 2 it's easy to tell baby's position look up Leopold maneuvers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clz0213
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I shall check this out

Quoting louzannalady:

Why not map your belly yourself? I would not trust a provider if they had to rely on an ultrasound! Lol! Your midwife rocks! : ) 

clz0213
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I shall check this out

Quoting louzannalady:

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I would trust your midwife more than your MIL lol. She's not a dr.
Cynthje
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

In my opinion a  good provider should be able to tell position without an ultrasound, i was able to tell with bot my kids!

wonderwomanT08
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I feel them there too and in my bottom! And my lo is def. Head down! I'm 40 weeks and 5 days
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM

There's no reason to doubt your midwife, they are taught to be able to tell where baby is, even my first OB relied on palpatations instead of ultrasounds to determine fetal position.

If baby had hiccups up high, your baby would be breech. 

YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Yes, midwives can tell without an ultrasound. Anyone can do it, you should give it a try. I love belly mapping and figuring out where my baby is!
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM

My MWs could always tell, that is a part of their job!

I never do ultrasounds with my pregnancies, no reason and I want to avoid exposure.      But my babies have been breech, vertex, posterior, all over...   I don't think transverse... ?

No worries.   ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)