Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Traveling with newborn?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi, So I am about 35 weeks along and am due march 3rd. My family has historically been early so im planning on anywhere from mid Feb. on. I was just wondering if any of you have experience or advice on traveling with your newborn. My family owns a place at Lake Tahoe (Calfornia) and we always plan big family trips up there. There is a big trip planned when the baby will only be a few weeks old and we would love to go but im not sure if we should. We will be driving up and its about 3 hours and staying for a few days. Assuming the baby is healthy and pretty easy i dont think it will be a problem but have any of you done something similar? Any tips? There will be other kids there and probably about 15 or so people in total. A lot will be skiing all day so it wont be too crazy. What do you think?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM

We must live close together- I'm 3 hours from Tahoe as well. Just went there a few days after New Years- lots of snow! We almost got snowed in at Harrah's/Stateline. 

Anyway, lol. 

Baby will be fine if you get him/her sleeping, but you may be doing a lot of stops to nurse and change diapers. Just take it nice n easy. :)

Just remember- do NOT put baby into a coat in the car seat, for safety reasons. 

stephv53
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
When ds was 7 weeks we went from Los Angeles to Albuquerque. It was a 16 hr train ride and he was fantastic! He slept through most of the trip and only cried to be fed. We got a lot of compliments on how good he was. When he was 2 months we drove to Vegas (4 hrs ) and he did good. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SFsupermommy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:04 AM

We were there after new years too! lol yeah we live in San Francisco. Ok thanks for the advice :) hopefully the weather will start to warm up soon so im not too paranoid about the cold and can at least go for walks. But i do have a few snow suits im excited to use.

Quoting Pandapanda:

We must live close together- I'm 3 hours from Tahoe as well. Just went there a few days after New Years- lots of snow! We almost got snowed in at Harrah's/Stateline. 

Anyway, lol. 

Baby will be fine if you get him/her sleeping, but you may be doing a lot of stops to nurse and change diapers. Just take it nice n easy. :)

Just remember- do NOT put baby into a coat in the car seat, for safety reasons. 

mousesmommy5610
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

i travled with mine to idaho from where i live about 4 hours when she was only a few weeks old all i did was feed before we left and changed the diaper i made sure she had enough milk (two-three bottles) just in case cause i was breast feeding packed up and left i made sure she a binki too LIFE SAVER lol but she slept almost all the way there and about 20 mins from town she started to cry so i gave her the binki and then once we got to the grandparents home i fed her and things were dandy did the same thing on the way back.... good luck as long as they are under a month ish they sleep alot so u should be good (:

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM
I traveled a lot when ds was a baby. Always 6 hour drives. He did amazing! Just stop enough for feeding and diapers. (And bring extra clothes for blow-outs) We always had to bring a bunch of extra clothes (and blankets. It got -50!) and were happy to have them!
Also, a power converter is a good idea if you need to use a pump. :)
Good luck and have fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:34 AM

When my ds was about 3 months old we made a trip from California to Texas (where all my dh's family lives) and we had to stop quit a bit but aside from that ds did good on the drive there. 

avaana06
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I drove 18 hours when my twins were about 3 weeks old. It was hellish getting there, but all of my family lived that far away and at that point I needed to see them for my emotional well being! :) LOL. The babies did great while there and they slept so much while driving. We stopped every 2 hours for me to hold them, feed them, and change them. It isn't ideal, but 3 hours isn't a big deal .I would just wait to see how you are feeling after baby is born and how quickly you guys adjust to everything.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I drove about three and half hours from Louisiana to Texas when DS1 was eight days old. Just stop to feed him regularly and change him. : ) I also flew from Texas to Washington state by plane with just me and DS1 when he was three months old. And I made the same trip with just me and DS1 (he was 22 months at the time) and DS2 (four months at the time) by myself in November for three weeks, to see family. It wasn't so bad. I nurse. I don't know if that makes a difference, though. If I bottle fed, I know for a fact, I would never take such a trip. 

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I usually would sit in the back of the car with the new baby.  But, three hours isn't too bad of a drive (we have almost that to go home from my hospital where I deliver at).  Newborns are easy because their needs are pretty simple. 

alaskandaydream
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM

We did something similar around christmas time with our (then) 6 week old.  Everyone at Xmas had their pertussis shots so I didn't get too paranoid ;)  Baby did well on the car trip (3-4 hours) - started getting fussy near the end, but only for the ,ast 20 minutes of the ride both ways.  The day after we got home he was awful, but that's mostly due to the disruption in his schedule...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)