Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will you dr respect your choice not to have a cervical check?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 52 Replies

I'm 24 weeks today. We haven't discussed my birth plans yet. As of right now my dr only know I want to try for a VBAC. He says we can discuss the details later. I know he will allow me to labor on my own (with no pain meds). But I'm wondering how he will feel about me choosing not to have cerival checks, since there's really no point to them. And since there's no point, why do they do it anyway?

How many of you ladies have had a obgyn respect your choice not to be checked?

BabyFetus Ticker
 BabyFruit Ticker

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Both had no issue with it. I think a lot of them do it more because women expect it.

I did get ONE close to the end with each, to find out what my options for induction would be if I hit 42 weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Any provider (OB or midwife) who wants to keep their job will respect my right to informed consent and informed refusal on ANY procedure! Also, with planning a VBAC, it is super important you have a birth plan in hand on your first visit and know what the most common risks are to ending up having a RCS after a TOLAC and have those on the top of your list. And then, use that birth plan to interview the provider. If he or she cannot met those needs, then find someone else ASAP!!!!! Him putting it off puts YOU in the bind of trying to find a provider who, really is VBAC friendly at 36 or 38 weeks, when you realize this provider (I have seen it happen a hundred times!) will not support measures that are evidence based and are going to set up you for another RCS (breaking your water for an internal monitor, sitting in bed the whole time, cath in your back "just in case"... and several other "policies" that are not conducive to a safe vaginal birth). It is safer for you if you guys go ahead and have him lay his cards out on the table, so that you know you are in good hands. It is also important at your next visit to ask him what his vaginal birth rate for TOLAC's? If he won't answer, is dismissive, defensive, patronizing, or tries to sugarcoat the answer or skirt the question- run far, run fast!

INFORMED CONSENT 

VBAC stats

VBAC resources

Info on vaginal exams, to help you keep your resolve. 

tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Oh, and 1 was an OB, the other was an FP.
The checks I did get were at 40 + 6 and 41+3.

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Both had no issue with it. I think a lot of them do it more because women expect it.

I did get ONE close to the end with each, to find out what my options for induction would be if I hit 42 weeks.

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

i thought they required cervical checks for vbacs? Since they want you to gain a cm an hour? My midwives never did them unless I asked. Id bring up your birthplan asap to ensure this dr is actually vbac friendly

Victoriaoh
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM
My OB doesn't do cervical checks unless you request it. I didn't have mine checked until I was in labor.
JadeTigr7
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My midwife doesn't do checks at all. Not even in labor.
clz0213
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM
My midwife doesn't check unless i request it actually. I did get checked at the hospital when i went into preterm labor but that was obviously to see if the contractions were making me dilate.
Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Mine have always asked me if I wanted to be checked, not just gone done and tried to do it. If you say you don't want to be checked they wont. 

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've always been asked...and I have declinded, and they respected it.

YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course. He respects all my wishes, even if he does not always agree with them. He would not be my doctor if he did not.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured