Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Primrose Oil

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 5 Replies

Midwife recommended Primrose Oil to me as I am approaching 37 weeks on wednesday. I am trying to avoid induction (OB recommended 37 weeks, Midwife says 39 weeks and possibly full term as long as monitoring goes well). But anyway I've been encouraged to try some natural methods to encourage my body to prepare for labor and coax it into starting naturally. Primrose oil was the first thing they recommended so I was wondering if:

1.) Has anyone tried it, and did it work for you?

2.) Where do I find it?

3.) How much does it cost?

My other question is if you ladies know of any other natural methods/substances that are safe and that also can aid in my bodys preperation for labor. *Side note: I have a very sensitive cervix (they don't even want to do an exam because of it), so sexual activity is not an option. I'm looking for herbs and what not. Thanks for any advice!

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Evening Primrose Oil is not proven safe. To the contrary, it is a known blood thinner! May I ask why they are suggesting an induction so early? Are you or baby having complications?

HERE is info on EPO! 

rfhsure
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Because of the suspicion of abruption. After I went back to the midwives clinic I finally got a better explanation as to what the whole induction thing with my ob was.  Basically my midwife told me that I had a tiny abruption that healed itself. The OB wants to induce me at 37 weeks for fear of my placenta choosing to stop working. I found this a little extreme. I've been monitored with weekly stress tests since 21 weeks and have had 2 growth ultrasounds. Everything cumulatively has suggested my baby is growing normally and really well, and that the placenta is functioning as it should be. So when I discussed it with the midwife, she said she feels that 37 weeks is pretty conservative considering how things are going, but they'd like to continue monitoring me week by week and do an induction at 39 weeks if I am okay with that.

She said that because I had a shadow on my ultrasound that looked to be like an abruption, they have to treat me as if I have one. She said her intuition is that I had a tiny pocket on the bottom that healed itself and that I don't have one now, but they still want to be cautious. but then she said I have a much lower risk of complications than someone with a full abruption, hypertension, etc. So ultimately, they're leaving it up to my discretion as to whether I think I should get an induction or not. Which isn't very helpful. One of the midwives recommended I try primrose oil to help my cervix prepare for labor. They don't want to check my cervix because It's very sensitive and bleeds when touched. sex is also out of the question because it irritates it profusely. So I've basically been told I have a mild risk of my placenta not wanting to work, but little more than that of a normal pregnancy, yet at the same time they still recommend induction via their ob consultant. So I figured my best bet is to do what I can to safely prepare my body for labor and hope he's ready to come out on his own by that 39 week point. So yeah, don't really know what to do at all. haven't been given concrete information either way.

Quoting louzannalady:

Evening Primrose Oil is not proven safe. To the contrary, it is a known blood thinner! May I ask why they are suggesting an induction so early? Are you or baby having complications?

HERE is info on EPO! 

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

*hug* I knew it was you when you said suspicion of abrubtion with red font! I am sorry, I did not read your screen name earlier, when I responded, otherwise I would have known what was going on, I remember you! Please, forgive me! I was actually thinking of e-mailing you to see how things were going! There are no studies showing the pros and cons of using it vaginally. And there is a study that was done about taking it orally that was not favorable. Beyond, that it is mere speculation. If you know the risks (small increased possibility of infection and small possibility that it will act as a blood thinning agent) and the possible benefits (possibly softening cervix and possibly making the tissues more supple to reduce tearing) are comfortable with them, then I would go for in your circumstance! I understand how important getting that cervix soft is while looking at the possibility of such an early induction. HERE is more info on the various forms of induction, if you do feel an induction is needed. *hug*

Quoting rfhsure:

Because of the suspicion of abruption. After I went back to the midwives clinic I finally got a better explanation as to what the whole induction thing with my ob was.  Basically my midwife told me that I had a tiny abruption that healed itself. The OB wants to induce me at 37 weeks for fear of my placenta choosing to stop working. I found this a little extreme. I've been monitored with weekly stress tests since 21 weeks and have had 2 growth ultrasounds. Everything cumulatively has suggested my baby is growing normally and really well, and that the placenta is functioning as it should be. So when I discussed it with the midwife, she said she feels that 37 weeks is pretty conservative considering how things are going, but they'd like to continue monitoring me week by week and do an induction at 39 weeks if I am okay with that.

She said that because I had a shadow on my ultrasound that looked to be like an abruption, they have to treat me as if I have one. She said her intuition is that I had a tiny pocket on the bottom that healed itself and that I don't have one now, but they still want to be cautious. but then she said I have a much lower risk of complications than someone with a full abruption, hypertension, etc. So ultimately, they're leaving it up to my discretion as to whether I think I should get an induction or not. Which isn't very helpful. One of the midwives recommended I try primrose oil to help my cervix prepare for labor. They don't want to check my cervix because It's very sensitive and bleeds when touched. sex is also out of the question because it irritates it profusely. So I've basically been told I have a mild risk of my placenta not wanting to work, but little more than that of a normal pregnancy, yet at the same time they still recommend induction via their ob consultant. So I figured my best bet is to do what I can to safely prepare my body for labor and hope he's ready to come out on his own by that 39 week point. So yeah, don't really know what to do at all. haven't been given concrete information either way.

Quoting louzannalady:

HERE is info on EPO! 

angela84
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Have you thought of acupuncture? I also heard that blue or black cohosh can help induction but I would suggest doing research on it before taking my suggestion as I have not fully researched it.

rfhsure
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

oh no, it's okay! I've been feeling a lot more confident since I went back to the midwives, but they do work in a clinic and are required to give me certain advice given to them by their ob consultant as a protocol for the hospital as a whole. But They've still been great and really informative, and so my last visit my midwife and I discussed doing some things to help my body naturally prepare itself for labor to increase chances of me going into labor before I reach the time where they want to induce, which has been moved from 37 to 39 weeks. But I thought if I started now at 37 weeks, by the time I reach that point I could be effaced a little bit and hopefully a little dialated so they won't feel as much pressure to do it. I can still refuse either way, and the risk for complications or my placenta stopping working is small, but any risk at all is enough for me to feel like I should try and coax him out. But there's a big difference between coaxing him and forcing him. Male hormones of any kind set me bleeding like a faucet, so they recommended sex at first but that's just something I can't do. So I'm trying to find other alternatives to get some prostoglandin or whatever that's called, and hopefully it'll do the trick. I have a gut feeling that my little guy is coming soon, I think before my due date. I don't have any signs of labor but I just have this feeling like he's getting ready. He's head down and very low, and his movements are a little more restricted. my guts telling me he's going to come out on his own, so I feel safe trying some methods, as long as they're safe. I've heard of blue and black cohosh but I've also hear that's not necessarily safe, and the midwife didn't recommend rasberry tea. I'm anxious about doing the nipple stimulation because I've read it can cause long painful contractions, but not actually ones that will dialate you, so I don't think that's the best option. Any advice you have on the subject would be great! Thanks so much for checking on me and giving me such great advice, I really appreciate it! Something's just digging at me about this induction thing. I just don't feel right about it. But I certainly don't want to put my son at risk. But my motherly instincts are telling me to go with my gut!

Quoting louzannalady:

*hug* I knew it was you when you said suspicion of abrubtion with red font! I am sorry, I did not read your screen name earlier, when I responded, otherwise I would have known what was going on, I remember you! Please, forgive me! I was actually thinking of e-mailing you to see how things were going! There are no studies showing the pros and cons of using it vaginally. And there is a study that was done about taking it orally that was not favorable. Beyond, that it is mere speculation. If you know the risks (small increased possibility of infection and small possibility that it will act as a blood thinning agent) and the possible benefits (possibly softening cervix and possibly making the tissues more supple to reduce tearing) are comfortable with them, then I would go for in your circumstance! I understand how important getting that cervix soft is while looking at the possibility of such an early induction. HERE is more info on the various forms of induction, if you do feel an induction is needed. *hug*

Quoting rfhsure:

Quoting louzannalady:

HERE is info on EPO! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)