Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

bitter sweet "/

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 15 Replies
Im 35 weeks and I have GD. Through out my whole pregnancy ive planned on a very natural birth. Ive also been struggling because my momma lives over 1000 miles away, so it would be almost impossible for her to be with me during the delivery and I NEED my momma! On friday my dr told me that since im diabetic, they want me to deliver between 39 & 40 weeks or they will induce me.
My dilema is this: being induced would really potentially steer my birth experience away from the natural route I had envisioned, BUT if I do end up being induced then my momma would definitely be able to fly here to be with me. Although I want so badly to have my natural birth im almost hoping to be induced. this is because even if i go into labor on my own, theres no guarantee there wont be complications & i might have to have medical interventions PLUS my mom wouldnt be there. So it could end up being a lose lose situation. But if im induced iwould atleast have my momma no matter the outcome of the delivery, natural or not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashybaby87
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I wish I had some advice for this one, but I wish you the best and hope you can have your mom there with you. I know how important it is to have her there through it.

AmericanChild82
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. Can you see what options you have as far as induction. Like cervadil and such to give your body a chance to have contractions kick in on their own.

greentealover18
by Kait on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I have an appt with both of my OBs on friday so I planned on talking to them & getting a better idea of all my options & make a plan.

Quoting AmericanChild82:

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. Can you see what options you have as far as induction. Like cervadil and such to give your body a chance to have contractions kick in on their own.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Ugh, I hate that doctors push induction for GD. I had GD with my last pregnancy and they pushed it on me too. Remember that you are in charge. They can't make you induce, they can only suggest it. As long as baby is doing well, there is absolutely no reason to induce. 

I ended up being induced because my baby was having trouble at 41 weeks (6 weeks after they started trying to get me to induce). I did it without an epidural because I want as few interventions as possible and don't want to add risks. It was a really horrible labor because of the pitocin. My contractions were 4 minutes long and even though active labor took half the time that my first natural labor took, it was much harder. I would prefer natural labor over induction any day.

Before you agree to anything, educate yourself as much as possible. Good luck!

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Why do they want to induce?
If you and baby are healthy and fine then inducing means unnecessary risks.    

Even if you did have a dangerous situation you can still choose whether you want to intervene or not, they can't tell you. 
   You get to decide, be sure you have Informed Consent!

greentealover18
by Kait on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM
the only reason they gave me for wanting to induce was my GD. they have always said baby is perfect size, my bp is fine, my sugar levels are always fantastic, I'm only 19 and in good shape. my family is also really pushing me to do what ever the dr says. even my bf, who has always supported my decision on natural birth is leaning towards induction if I don't go into labor before my due date.

Quoting doulala:

Why do they want to induce?
If you and baby are healthy and fine then inducing means unnecessary risks.    

Even if you did have a dangerous situation you can still choose whether you want to intervene or not, they can't tell you. 
   You get to decide, be sure you have Informed Consent!

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Wish I could offer you some advice girl, but lots of good luck with everything. 

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Maybe if you can explain to your family that inducing when you are fine means adding unnecessary risks (to baby and to you) they will be more supportive to you.

Quoting greentealover18:

the only reason they gave me for wanting to induce was my GD. they have always said baby is perfect size, my bp is fine, my sugar levels are always fantastic, I'm only 19 and in good shape. my family is also really pushing me to do what ever the dr says. even my bf, who has always supported my decision on natural birth is leaning towards induction if I don't go into labor before my due date.

Quoting doulala:
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM

If you aren't having complications from the GD, then inductions is really unnecessary and only adding risks. 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Why induce? Are your blood sugar levels out of control? Have you tried medication to control it if it's too high?

There is NO reason whatsoever to induce just because of GD if your numbers are okay. A little high once in a while is okay, consistently high numbers are not. 

I had GD and there was never even a thought of induction. GD does not make you high risk. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)