Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What exactly are braxton hicks?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 7 Replies

I'm 23 weeks and everyone keeps asking me if I've had braxton hicks yet, but I dont know if I have. I thought they were like contractions? I haven't had any pain at all. The only thing that's been happening is on the lower right side of my belly, it feels like it's tightening up, then when I put my hand there, it feels like a little bulge is there. I thought it was either a braxton hicks or it was just the baby with her head or butt down there.

Is that what I'm experiencing?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Heather2001
by Heather on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Probably.  BH are just practice contractions.  Normally painless tightening of the uterus in an irregular fashion. 

LittlePistol87
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I never had them until the end of my second pregnancy. They isn't hurt just a small cramp that would tighten the relax for a little while. 

coffeemom37043
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Okay, so that probably is what I'm experiencing then

1wildchild
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM
BHs aren't usually painful. Sometimes it feels like your whole abdomen is tightening into a hard ball all over, and sometimes you can only feel it on one side or spot. You're probably having them and just don't realize it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cynthje
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM

2 babies and i never had them

Mellissa1990
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I'm pregnant with #6 and have had them during all six pregnancies.  Mine are more like a menstrual cramp.  They come suddenly so mine do hurt and I usually quince and put my hand on the area.....which is usually hard.  I must look like I''m hurting because people will ask me if I'm all right.

brightstar28
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I've been wondering the same thing.  This is my first, I'm 30 weeks, and I have no idea if I've experienced BH.  I'm going to say no since I have no idea what they feel like!!  haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)