Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 9:07 AM
  • 9 Replies
this may seem like such a silly question, but my husband is really concerned, and now he has got me concerned.  I am so swollen in my hand now (I am a two days shy of 37 weeks) that I can't get my wedding ring off.  it is making an indentation in my finger.  I tried icing it and then using oil and lotion to get the ring off, but it won't go.  my husband wants me to cut the ring off.  i love love love my wedding ring, well mostly what it stands for and I don't want to do that.  if I leave it on, will it damage my finger? 

anyone else having the same problem???
by on May. 4, 2007 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on May. 4, 2007 at 9:09 AM
try butter or crisco.  if that doesnt help you better get to the dr.s and let them remove it.  im 15 weeks and mine has been off. oh and if its left on, it can cut off the circulation
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:47 AM
try soaking your hand in warm water see if the swelling goes down if not try cold water maybe the swelling will go down enough to get the ring off.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:51 AM
If butter or crisco dont work def go have it cut off u can always have it fized so u can wear it again.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:52 AM
I would keep trying to get it off.  Maybe during the day when your fingers are less swollen if there is a time of the day.  I always wash my hands and kind of twist the ring until it comes off.  My ring is snug anyway but as soon as my hands start swelling it will come off until after I have the baby is born.  If not then they will cut it off of your finger.  I have heard of situations that doctors have cut the ring off in labor.  I would not leave it on, it can cut the circulation off.  Good Luck to you on gett ing your ring off!! 
by on May. 4, 2007 at 10:52 AM

i had a friend who had a lot of swelling like this during pregnancy and she bought a cz solitaire and wore that instead.  i know that doesn't help getting yours off, good luck...

to discourage further and continued swelling, you might try upping your protein intake (more than 100grams a day and even more if you are having twins)  high protein intake reduces your risk of preeclampsia.  hope you get your ring off.

by on May. 4, 2007 at 12:28 PM
I would CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!
   If you didnt't already, I had the same thing happen to me, and I had to deliver early and be induced 3 weeks early.  They said it was something to do with your blood pressure--my brain is tired i forget what it is called.  But, i would most Def call your doctor.  Don't mess with that stuff.  That can hurt you and your baby.  (not to scare you) but, my doctor said i was so bad i needed to get the baby out.  So, please let your doctor know and see what she says.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:29 PM
Try Windex glass cleaner!

Sounds silly, but when I went in to get my ring cleaned at the jeweler's, it was stuck! I was due in a few weeks. They sprayed a little bit of windex glass cleaner on it, and it slid right off! They say it's the only thing that works for them.

Hope this helps, and if it has to be removed, it can always be put back together by a jeweler :)
by on May. 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM
go have it removed. My father in law is a doctor and was just telling me about this. He advises all his patients to remove their wedding rings at a certain point int he pregnancy. You can wear it on a chain on your neck so people know you are married and so you feel like you still have it with you everyday.

by on May. 5, 2007 at 5:24 PM
thanks everyone for your posts and advice!  I ended up calling my doctor and went to the jeweler and had it cut off.  he said he could fix it and I was so RELIEVED to have it off.  my finger had started hurting so badly.  This was one thing that was left out of all the pregnancy books that I read.  I didn't start to swell until last week (I am now 37 weeks), so I wasn't even thinking about it. 

hope my experience can help someone else!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)