Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Have to do an amnio and really scared

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi all,

I am 27, expecting baby #1 after long term TTC and we coulcnt be more excited. I am now week 14.5!

However, yesterday, we got test results back that there is a high chance my baby will have down syndrome and the dr thinks we should do the amnio teat.I literally spent the day crying. I am sooo nervous for so many reasons- what if the test goes wrong and we lose the baby? what if results come back positive and we have to face the decision of what to do? i cant iagine aborting after all this time and am so scared it will take anoither 2 torterous to get pregs!

Has anyone ever done this test? if so, please share your experiences. I dont know anyone who's done it...

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Replies (31-38):
amy31308
by Ashlee on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Yep what almost everyone said. I wouldn't risk it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Amanda
by Head Admin on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM

But wait, you're saying the amnio was negative. That makes sense. So she screened "positive" during an early screening test, the adoption agency requested that she get the amnio to confirm for sure, and it was negative. I thought were saying the AMNIO itself was positive but then the baby wasn't affected, which is incredibly, incredibly rare to have that kind of error happen.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Yep. She had amino at the request of the adoption agency she was using to place ds1 and it was negative, but after the fiasco with dd she refused it (ds2, ds3).

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Her amnio came back showing a trisomy, but the baby did not actually have a genetic issue??

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I refused all testing because it doesn't matter to me. I would personally never abort because of DS. Ds has autism and while it's tough sometimes, he's still my little prince, even if sometimes I'm tempted to get the rope. No I'm not comparing the two, just the challenge of having a special needs child.

My sister had the same rigermorale as you. Docs saw "something wrong" on an early US and dropped the words down syndrome and she got the amino in fear. Positive for DS. Preparations were made for my nieces arrival with the assumption of DS. Came out completely NT. she's almost 9 and still not an issue---not even add.

Point is, it's a huge false positive. Compared to your experience, a person with DS lives a limited life with huge obstacles. But ask an adult with ds and they would be offended. They'd likely say their life is just fine.

mommyof2kids306
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM
My sister was told my niece had Down syndrome and they had her do a amnio she said it hurt but the amnio showed that her baby was fine. They said because my nieces neck was thick she had it. My niece is turning 8 this year and she is perfectly fine no Down syndrome. Just breath I'm sure everything will be fine. As far as it hurting my sister is scared of needles I'm sure it's not as bad as she said it was. Good luck and prayers

Quoting MichelleM14:

Hi all,

I am 27, expecting baby #1 after long term TTC and we coulcnt be more excited. I am now week 14.5!

However, yesterday, we got test results back that there is a high chance my baby will have down syndrome and the dr thinks we should do the amnio teat.I literally spent the day crying. I am sooo nervous for so many reasons- what if the test goes wrong and we lose the baby? what if results come back positive and we have to face the decision of what to do? i cant iagine aborting after all this time and am so scared it will take anoither 2 torterous to get pregs!

Has anyone ever done this test? if so, please share your experiences. I dont know anyone who's done it...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmylilbean
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Would you really abort if the child had down's? I would refuse the test, it's risky and the test results can be wrong anyway. My friend had results that said she had a high chance of her baby having spina bifida but she didn't do any other testing and he is a perfectly healthy, normal baby. After all this time of TTC would you really be ok with risking this pregnancy just because the baby could have down's? Anyways, no I've never had an amnio, never would. I have met people who lost pregnancy because of it. Good luck & prayers for you and baby.

MissTacoBell
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM
...o.o

No.

She had a boy she put him up for adoption. She had the standard amino done at the request of the agency.

She then, years later, had a girl. Doctor says omg down syndrome based on an ultrasound. She has genetic testing which is amnio. It was positive. Baby came out normal. Test was wrong.

She then has 2 boys. Refuses testing in those pregnancies because of what happened with girl.

Understand?

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

But wait, you're saying the amnio was negative. That makes sense. So she screened "positive" during an early screening test, the adoption agency requested that she get the amnio to confirm for sure, and it was negative. I thought were saying the AMNIO itself was positive but then the baby wasn't affected, which is incredibly, incredibly rare to have that kind of error happen.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Yep. She had amino at the request of the adoption agency she was using to place ds1 and it was negative, but after the fiasco with dd she refused it (ds2, ds3).

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Her amnio came back showing a trisomy, but the baby did not actually have a genetic issue??

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I refused all testing because it doesn't matter to me. I would personally never abort because of DS. Ds has autism and while it's tough sometimes, he's still my little prince, even if sometimes I'm tempted to get the rope. No I'm not comparing the two, just the challenge of having a special needs child.

My sister had the same rigermorale as you. Docs saw "something wrong" on an early US and dropped the words down syndrome and she got the amino in fear. Positive for DS. Preparations were made for my nieces arrival with the assumption of DS. Came out completely NT. she's almost 9 and still not an issue---not even add.

Point is, it's a huge false positive. Compared to your experience, a person with DS lives a limited life with huge obstacles. But ask an adult with ds and they would be offended. They'd likely say their life is just fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Amanda
by Head Admin on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Ah, okay. Got it! That is SO rare, to have the amnio be wrong. They are like 99.4% accurate.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

...o.o

No.

She had a boy she put him up for adoption. She had the standard amino done at the request of the agency.

She then, years later, had a girl. Doctor says omg down syndrome based on an ultrasound. She has genetic testing which is amnio. It was positive. Baby came out normal. Test was wrong.

She then has 2 boys. Refuses testing in those pregnancies because of what happened with girl.

Understand?

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Quoting Cafe Amanda:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

lovinmybaby1105
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Hi hon, I am sorry u r going through this. I havent read any of the replies so if it was already asked or mentioned then again sorry. I have a question for u and im not being rude, I have been where u r. Ok my question, if the baby does have down syndrome do u plan on keeping the baby, will u love him/her less, if the baby has any medical condition will u keep and love the baby?

Quoting MichelleM14:

Hi all,

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I opted out of the tests. Personally I wouldn't have it done. If god wants you to have a DS baby then have it. There is no decision to be made in my opinion. But that's just me :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)