Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies who conceived while on Metformin??

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ladies I have been on Met since August 2000mg. And I am waiting on the drug store to refill my prescription. I had planned on weaning off of it slowly because I wasn't sure its effects would be if I stopped it to quickly on my pregnancy. I am really kinda worried because I haven't had it at all today. Did anyone stop Met cold turkey when they found out they were pregnant??

Update: Thank you ladies for your responses. I wanted to kinda update and give more info. Last week prior to finding out I was preggo I went in for a yearly checkup with my family Dr. I explained to her that I was losing my hair at a rapid rate from the roots and she told me it was absolutely from the Met and I needed to stop taking it. I waited however because even then I suspected I could be preggo and I wanted to wait and find out if we had conceived before I stopped it. So I contacted my OB today and he suggested I continue taking them throughout the pregnancy because it helps prevent GD. But I forgot to share with him that it was causing me to lose my hair. So considering I have never had GD or even so much as high blood pressure during pregnancy (even though this particular OB always considers me a risk simply because I am overweight) and my hair is still falling out and thinning very quickly, I decided to down my dose from 2,000 to 1,000 mg. I will continue it until 8 wks (since I do have a fear of stopping it and it causing a MC) and then I will stop it. Thank you ladies for the replies!! 

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixonBabies
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I was on it before but diet and exercise cured my pcos so I wasnt on it when I got pregnant. That said, all my friends who were on it were told until they were out of first tri, and one even had to continue taking it the entire pregnancy. What has your doc said about it? And no the ones who were able to stop after first tri didnt wean themselves off it.

screamykittycat
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I was on it when I got pregnant, and I'm still on it at 37 weeks. 2000mg per day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nicole2884
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

im not doctor but im sure you shouldnt stop like that, can you get a refill today  fx

i think your suppose to decrease slowly an doctors suggest taking it for the first trimester then weaning 

but maybe im wrong , i hope you get your refill

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Yea I am waiting on the drug store to call. I ran out last night, so I have missed two doses :( Man I hope it doesn't effect anything! Thanks

Quoting nicole2884:

im not doctor but im sure you shouldnt stop like that, can you get a refill today  fx

i think your suppose to decrease slowly an doctors suggest taking it for the first trimester then weaning 

nicole2884
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Quoting NoraDun:

Yea I am waiting on the drug store to call. I ran out last night, so I have missed two doses :( Man I hope it doesn't effect anything! Thanks

Quoting nicole2884:

your probably fine, it happens, 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM

You should stay on the metformin until your doctor tells you to stop taking it, or until 20 weeks. 

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM
My doctor told me to stop taking it at maybe 6 weeks. I had already taken a half dose that day and he told me not to worry about the other half.
Your doctor could have different ideas so I'd ask first. But I didn't have any problems going more or less cold turkey early on.
wkukid
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I didn't stop until after the first trimester. I did stop cold turkey then though.

cnlsmommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM
My doctor kept me on it all through my pregnancy last time and this time too. I'm on 2000mg too. It decreases the chances of getting gest diabetes if you have a likelihood (if you're pcos you automatically have increased chances and if you have any other risk factors). Missing 2 doses won't hugely effect you or the bean, just get back on ASAP. I would be at the drug store banging on the door though!
TrabysMommmy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I've been on Metformin 1850 a day for almost two years and I still take it while pregnant... I didn't have any effects on my child....  Are you a type 2 diabetic?    Because if they stop the metformin they may just start you on insulin but I take  6 units of NPH at night but I requested that because it worked so well with my other pregnancy....

~Laura~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured