Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Do you think...?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM
  • 14 Replies
My midwife checked my dilation today. (I know some are very against it. This post is not about that.) I'm at 5cm after being at a 4 for over a month now. I'm excited about the change and hoping to be in labor soon. But I know it's not a guarantee of further progress.
The issue I have is with the exam. Usually, it takes her a few seconds and she's done. There's pressure but it isn't like obnoxiously painful. Today was not usual. She was "checking" me for about 30 seconds and it hurt almost enough to want to cry. I've been having a bit of spotting since as well. Which has never happened.
Last week, they told me to come in for an induction but I told them I didn't want to force her out. So I'm wondering if maybe she stripped my membranes because they wanted to induce me anyway and it was easy to do while I was getting checked.
Anyone have any thoughts/opinions about this? Anyone who's had their membranes stripped who can say this is what happened?

I know I'm going to opt out of checks with my next pregnancy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pacificamom
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM

no clue but I hope she wouldn't do it without your consent

Devious103102
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Sounds like it may be what happened, either that or she was having a hard time checking your cervix. GL either way.

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I don't see how she could have had a hard time. I know I could feel her touching my baby's head. Which she said she wanted to do to see if her heart rate would react (it did). I forgot to eat before I went and baby wasn't moving much so she had me on a monitor to check on her just to be sure. I'm thinking maybe she used this as an excuse to be in there longer and do a sweep.
Thanks for the luck. I might need it today.

Quoting Devious103102:

Sounds like it may be what happened, either that or she was having a hard time checking your cervix. GL either way.

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Me either. It's making me feel a little deflated today that it might have happened.

Quoting pacificamom:

no clue but I hope she wouldn't do it without your consent

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Sounds like that's what she did!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM
:(
I feel so let down.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

louzannalady
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I would go with your gut. You are the one that knows how she checks you and when something is different. I would be VERY worried, because this is form of induction and she needed to get your consent, per the ACOG, for performing such a procedure. If she could violate your right to informed consent and informed refusal at this point, what is she going to do to you when you are in active labor and cannot fight?! : *( This is a red flag and a clear indication you need to find a new provider ASAP! *hug* I am sorry this happened... I am hope that you are able to use this knowledge to find a new provider, who will not violate their ethics, in this way. : *( 

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I'm due in five days and there aren't many other doctors that deliver in the hospital I chose. (which isn't the greatest but it's the best in the area.)
She's a midwife in my OB's office so she wouldn't be the one there for delivery. My OB would. But, I've only had two appointments with her directly so I don't even know much about how she operates.

Quoting louzannalady:

I would go with your gut. You are the one that knows how she checks you and when something is different. I would be VERY worried, because this is form of induction and she needed to get your consent, per the ACOG, for performing such a procedure. If she could violate your right to informed consent and informed refusal at this point, what is she going to do to you when you are in active labor and cannot fight?! : *( This is a red flag and a clear indication you need to find a new provider ASAP! *hug* I am sorry this happened... I am hope that you are able to use this knowledge to find a new provider, who will not violate their ethics, in this way. : *( 

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I would to. It's one thing for her to ask you but not just do it & not tell you

Quoting Mrsfarr:

:(

I feel so let down.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulu_tattoos
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM
She might have been "stretching" your cervix rather than stripping your membranes. I let mine do that when I got to 41+1 and things were starting to look more urgent. It was more painful than a normal check and took longer.

After she did it, I went into labor and went from 4 to 5 within the hour and delivered about 4 hours later. Beautiful and smooth delivery. Can't say the stretching is what caused it but I don't think it hurt the process.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN