Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

3D Ultrasound

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 18 Replies

What is the earliest anyone has had a 3D ultrasound?  I am 12 weeks 3 days,  I had my first ultrasound around 10 weeks and I do not get another one due to my insurance until I am 20 weeks.  So I bought a 3D ultrasound, I have an appointment to get the 3D at 15 weeks and 6 days, has anyone every had it this early before?  If so, did you like it not like it, did it look weird???  I am just trying to figure out if I should do it that early, but I really want to know what the sex of the baby is, as soon as possible.  

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM

The American Congress of OB/GYN's and the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine both state they advocate "the responsible use of diagnostic ultrasound. The AIUM strongly discourages the non-medical use of ultrasound for psychosocial or entertainment purposes. The use of either two-dimensional (2D) or three-dimensional (3D) ultrasound to only view the fetus, obtain a picture of the fetus or determine the fetal gender without a medical indication is inappropriate and contrary to responsible medical practice." 

HERE is additional information on the risks of ultrasounds.  

MsGrayciesMommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I have a few every pregnancy. The best picture is at 30-33 weeks. Before that baby is really skinny and alien looking. After that everything gets squished and cramped. The only 3d ultrasounds ususlly done that early are for gender.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JunkYdMom
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Ive heard that most like to wait tell later in pregnancy so the pics are more clear with features of the face
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ame501
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I had mine at 28 weeks and was happy with results :)

Astrachanca
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I believe regular 2d ultrasound is more accurate for gender identity. Id trust an ultrasound at a doctor's office over an elective 3d place anyhow. I got my elective 3d done at 28 weeks and it was awesome to see his face.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:52 PM

never trust gender anytime BEFORE 16 weeks (preferrably 20 weeks) even with 3D...the genitals aren't fully developed yet. I think that is WAY too early for a 3D...I had both mine done after 25 weeks which is what is recommended.

nikki554
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM

This is my 3d with my middle daughter. It was done @27 weeks

mrs.autry21
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I had one at 26 weeks and will be having another one on Friday at 37 weeks as part of my level 2 ultrasound to check babies size foru gestational diabetes. So no one give me any blah blah about how unsafe it is since they are checking my babies heart,brain ect so it's medically necessary.
wkukid
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a 3d/4d scheduled at 17 weeks to find gender out.

christinarb
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

New Message

3d pic of my son at 20weeks :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN