Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

From your own personal experience....

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 23 Replies

Does measuring a week ahead (babys current weight and measurments) an early indication of a large baby at birth and did you end up going into labor before you hit 40 weeks? 

BabyFetus Ticker
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:03 PM

My son measured behind 1-2 weeks during the last few weeks of my pregnancy and he was 9lbs5oz (born 40w2d). My daughter measured a week ahead and was born 9lbs3oz (born 39w2d). 

Your belly measurement isn't a good indicator of how large baby actually is. Ultrasounds are also notorious for being inaccurate, so I would start refusing them. Doctors who rely on ultrasounds to provide maternity care are incompetent. 

louzannalady
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

No. It was not. Per American Congress of OB/GYN's guidelines, there is no way to know what baby will weigh until he or she is born. The ACOG also states being induced for the suspected size of the baby is not a safe practice. The size of the baby has no impact on if his or her lungs will be ready, which is the last thing to finish "cooking". : ) 

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

With all mine for belly measurements. I always show 2-5 weeks ahead. My first I was constantly 2 weeks head. Had her 9 days early. My second was always 4 weeks ahead(But we also think we were off on dates). She was 4 weeks early. My third was 2-5 weeks ahead. The last two visits I was showing 5 weeks ahead. She came 5 days later and was my first big baby.

My first and second were in the 6lb range and my third was 8lbs 14oz but most likely over 9lbs when born. As soon as she was born. She peed on the midwife and pooped on me. My second was the only one that had a late ultrasound. They went off that and how far I was showing and said she would be 9-10lbs. Should have seen there face when my little 6lbs 3oz 18.5" girl came out. I told them so too. Oh and she put done possible GD because of one weird reading the got with the one hour. Which long story there. But I really think they mixed mine up or messed up.

Measuring up to 2 weeks is normal. There are so many things that can play into it. Position of baby, position of uterus, where the placenta is, extra fluid or less fluid and so on. Ultrasounds also can be off too.

Larsbug
by Laura on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

no...DS2 always measured a week or 2 ahead and he was 7lbs 1 oz...I had a scheduled c-section with him so I had him at 39 weeks

Oregongirl40
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I'm confused.....I never once said anything about induction. I am only 22 weeks! I was just curious if people who had u/s early on throughout pregnancy where their babies measured ahead did they end up going into labor before 40 weeks or not.

Quoting louzannalady:

No. It was not. Per American Congress of OB/GYN's guidelines, there is no way to know what baby will weigh until he or she is born. The ACOG also states being induced for the suspected size of the baby is not a safe practice. The size of the baby has no impact on if his or her lungs will be ready, which is the last thing to finish "cooking". : ) 

Oregongirl40
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience. This is exactly what I was looking for. :)

Quoting Raeann11:

With all mine for belly measurements. I always show 2-5 weeks ahead. My first I was constantly 2 weeks head. Had her 9 days early. My second was always 4 weeks ahead(But we also think we were off on dates). She was 4 weeks early. My third was 2-5 weeks ahead. The last two visits I was showing 5 weeks ahead. She came 5 days later and was my first big baby.

My first and second were in the 6lb range and my third was 8lbs 14oz but most likely over 9lbs when born. As soon as she was born. She peed on the midwife and pooped on me. My second was the only one that had a late ultrasound. They went off that and how far I was showing and said she would be 9-10lbs. Should have seen there face when my little 6lbs 3oz 18.5" girl came out. I told them so too. Oh and she put done possible GD because of one weird reading the got with the one hour. Which long story there. But I really think they mixed mine up or messed up.

Measuring up to 2 weeks is normal. There are so many things that can play into it. Position of baby, position of uterus, where the placenta is, extra fluid or less fluid and so on. Ultrasounds also can be off too.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Not at all. Baby could be further along than estimated, or could just be growing well. 

The only indication I had of a large baby during my pregnancy was a huge belly. I didn't have many ultrasounds. I was 4 days early and my baby was 9lbs 10.8oz and 22inches long. 

My second baby was measuring a week behind and was 8lbs 6oz at birth. She was born at 41 weeks.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Your welcome

Quoting Oregongirl40:

Thank you for sharing your experience. This is exactly what I was looking for. :)

Quoting Raeann11:

louzannalady
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM

No worries! I really wasn't saying you were talking about inducing. I was truly, just trying to give a resource, for if your doctor suggests it. Which is VERY, VERY common and dangerous. I was trying to help you get ahead of the curve. *hug* I wish you and baby the very, very best!

Quoting Oregongirl40:

I'm confused.....I never once said anything about induction. I am only 22 weeks! I was just curious if people who had u/s early on throughout pregnancy where their babies measured ahead did they end up going into labor before 40 weeks or not.

Quoting louzannalady:

Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:27 PM

no all babies grow differently. 1 week they may be measuring a few days ahead, the next they may be behind. there were a few visits where my daughter was a few days and even a week ahead. and then a few visits later she was behind. I ended up being induced with her at 39 weeks cuz they were concerned about her being too small. my dr said I was measuring big and wanted an ultrasound done to see exactly what her measurements were cuz he wanted to induce me to avoid a csection. she was measuring only 4 lbs at 39 weeks. they sent me to the hospital to be induced cuz they were worried about her being too small and wanted to get her out. she ended up being 6 lbs. so ultrasounds can be off. plus just cuz they are measuring big or small 1 week doesn't mean they will always be behind or ahead. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN