Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How accurate is fundal height measuring? (UPDATE!)

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:48 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
I had my 38 week appt today (at 38+2). When the dr measured it was only 28 weeks. 2 weeks a go I measured 30. She did an u/s then and everything measured fine except baby's abdomen. It was a week or two behind. Dr is worried that Sarah has quit growing. I'm sooooo nervous!

Update: ultrasound was at 1. Baby measures fine. Dr has no clue where she is hiding lol. I told my mom that and she freaked out. She thought I meant the dr couldn't find her. XD
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Always1222
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:52 AM

hmmm has baby dropped? I have heard when that happens that it can make your measurements off. Hope everything goes well.

xLilBit22
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Hoping everything is okay
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM

not super accurate
it all depends on the position of baby inside...especially if baby has dropped the measurements will be off

Has baby been measuring small the whole pregnancy?

KristinCarr
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM

when do they start checking fundal height?>

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM
A little yes. She's gradually caught up except her abdomen is still a little behind.

Quoting kelly617:

not super accurate
it all depends on the position of baby inside...especially if baby has dropped the measurements will be off

Has baby been measuring small the whole pregnancy?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:34 AM

What was going on with her abdomen?

Measuring 10 weeks under would call for more investigation I should think--    
I would check more into it.

GL!

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:59 AM

It depends on the dr. Some don't check at all. Some start roughly around....16 weeks?

Quoting KristinCarr:

when do they start checking fundal height?>

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Not sure. She has gradually caught up, but always measured a week or two behind. What I'm HOPING is that she just has a shorter torso than average. The dr was surprised with how long her legs are though! My oldest chile is tall and skinny. Just like my brother.

Any ideas what could cause me to measure so small? I know she is super active at night and sleeps dring the day a lot (like most babies). Maybe she is resting deep inside? (My bladder could tell ya that! ;D)

Quoting doulala:

What was going on with her abdomen?

Measuring 10 weeks under would call for more investigation I should think--    
I would check more into it.

GL!

armyslpbaby
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I've measured 2 weeks behind and now at 37 weeks I'm 2 weeks ahead, my midwife said 3 was normal, and more would need an u/s to see why.. Seems you already had that so let's just wait and see mama! I never had another u/s after 21 weeks though coz my midwife never found the need to have one! Wishing you all the best!
shell.bell
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:56 AM
The measuring of the fetal abdomen is how they determine how big or small they are. Measuring other parts are a general idea but not reliable. Fundal height is a good indicator as to how things are progressing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured