Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone else opt out of the Nuchal ultrasound?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 231 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you get this test?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 337

View Results

I keep hearing a lot about these scans. I've never had one with any of my pregnancies, don't plan to have one this time either. To me, my child is my child and I will love and support them no matter what. It wouldn't matter to me if they had mental issues or what have you.

if you do choose to get the test, why?

If not, why don't you choose to? 

I'm curious to see others' responses to this.

I was prompted to write this because I was talking to someone I know about the tests, she told me she wants one. That's fine and all, nothing against moms that get the test done. I asked her why, just out of curiosity. She replied she would abort asap if they found an issue because she doesn't want her child to be bullied. I just had a jaw-drop moment when I read her reason.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2lexinmark
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Ive never had any testing done for any of my pregnancies, just level 2 u/s bc of my medical condition
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I chose to get the test because my previous pregnancy ended very badly due to the many defects my son had.

I also got a free cell test that is only offered to high risk patients. They draw your blood, single out the baby's dna, and check for defects and other problems that way. It is 99% accurate, which is much better than the sequential blood screening that they do. I believe that one has a 3-6% false positive rate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ohbamitsans
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM
5 moms liked this
I didn't get the test because if something was wrong, I would still love them either way.
JerseyAirGurl
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:17 PM
4 moms liked this

I did it... I wanted to know. If my son had some type of issues I needed to research resources because we were in the process to moving due to the military. We wouldn't have terminated but it would have greatly affected where we ended up living. It came back all well and I now have my happy, healthy 3 month old. 

angevil53
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I had a false positive with my son. Opted out with dd and this pregnancy. Not worth the stress. Most things can be seen on an us anyways. If something comes up ill decide then if i can handle it. If not there's adoption.
Denisethedaring
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I did have the test with my last baby.  I was really glad that a much earlier-term, noninvasive test was developed (amnio and CVS being the go-to tests before that)  for those of us who knew going into the pregnancy that we we would have a higher-than-average risk of a genetic defects.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't do it. it's unnecessary.

unspecified42
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I did it with my surrogate kids, but wasn't offered with my own because of my age. In the future, I will get it because we would have to have some conversations about our options.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Why not because of your age?

Quoting unspecified42:

I did it with my surrogate kids, but wasn't offered with my own because of my age. In the future, I will get it because we would have to have some conversations about our options.

kcangel63
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I don't do any testing or ultrasounds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)