• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Growth Issues and Cervidil :( [PIOG]

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

My plan was to have a completely unmedicated and natural birth at a hospital.  I wanted a home birth, but I live too far away from a hospital for me to feel comfortable about an arising emergency.

Our little baby has been having frequent ultrasounds to check on his growth.  It started as standard protocol for GD, but turned into something more frequent when they found that his growth was not only restricted, but restricted asymmetrically.  His head is consistently measuring two weeks ahead and his tummy is measuring two weeks behind.  

The doctor expressed concern that this could mean something as simple as an odd mix of genes making up a skinny boy with a big head, or it could mean that my placenta isn't working properly and the few nutrients he's getting are being prioritized to his head, the most vital part, leaving everything else to fall behind.  

With this news, he highly suggested induction at 39 weeks.  If it is indeed that the placenta isn't functioning, then it does nothing but get worse.  

I am so scared and sad.  I wanted so bad for that perfect birth, but I hate posing any extra risk to the baby.  Have any of you had any experience with growth issues like this?  Or what about being induced at 39 weeks?  Or even with Cervidil (which is what they'll administer first)?

Help :(

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I'm sorry I've never dealt with this.

Can you see a different provider for a second opinion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
willsmoms
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I went through this with my first. They thought he was growth restricted. I was induced at 38 weeks. There intention was for me to get cervidil but when I got to the hospital my cervix was already softening on its own so they just started the pitosin.
sfank
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with such a difficult decision. To be honest, as much as I'm generally against early induction, in your case it would mostly likely be for the best. If your baby isn't getting what he needs while he's in utero it's not the best place for him to be. Try to focus more on having a healthy baby than your birth experience. The former is so very much more important than the latter.

As for cervidil, I was induced with it when delivering my daughter. It worked really well for me and started labour fine without any other meds. I was also just fine without pain meds. I hope everything goes well and you have a healthy baby!

MsNeene
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM
All of my children have had IUGR ( interuterine growth restriction). My placentas have a tendency to not work as well as they should. My first son was stillborn at 36 weeks because of this. With my second 2 I was told the farthest I could go was 39 weeks and no matter what we would induce at that point because after that point there was no real benefit for me personally to keep the baby in an environment where they weren't thriving it would be better in my case to have them out than in. However as expected I never made it to 39 weeks. We induced my second at 37 weeks for IUGR because it looked as if she couldn't make it to 39 and we induced my third at 36 weeks for the same reason. I am currently 31 weeks now with my last baby. Of course the plan is if I can go 39 weeks than we will and induce at that point however realistically we know I won't make it there. I've come to accept that while some people say inducing at 39 weeks is bad that this is not always the case especially with babies who truely are growth restricted. I say if you feel that you can trust your dr's and value their experience then I would go with it if not you can ask to see a high risk perinatologist for a second opinion and ultrasound . I trust my drs so even if baby is perfect and great I will still be induced at 39 weeks because they agree with my history its whys safest for baby and I agree. I say go with how you feel and how the dr makes you feel. As for the cervadil I don't think I've ever had that. I've always had pitocin :-( ughhhh hated it but all three labory so far have been induced and never ending in csection so I've always had a vaginal delivery induction. With my last my cervix was not ready at all at 36 weeks I wasn't even fingertip dilated so they put a foley bulb in and that didnt work at all plus it hurt :-( I was kinda mad but the pitocin did work and in the end it turned out well.

Just keep in mind with growth restricted babies that today they may say 39 weeks and next week they may say "no we won't make it we need to induce now" so I would talk to your dr and come up with a game plan kinda like a what if plan. With my son I really thought I could go to 39 and went o my biweekly appt and they said we have a problem he needs to come out. I was alittle sad and worried but I wasn't debated because I knew that it was always a possibility that he would need to come out at a moments notice.
screamykittycat
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.  I am very sorry to hear about your first son.  That must've been so hard.  Having a stillborn is something I am very scared of, especially after the doctor talked about the placenta not doing its job.  I see my doctor on Wednesday and I'll have a non stress test as well, so hopefully we can clear up some questions of mine.  I hope I am ready enough to have this baby by next week so that the induction won't be too harsh.  


Quoting MsNeene:

All of my children have had IUGR ( interuterine growth restriction). My placentas have a tendency to not work as well as they should. My first son was stillborn at 36 weeks because of this. With my second 2 I was told the farthest I could go was 39 weeks and no matter what we would induce at that point because after that point there was no real benefit for me personally to keep the baby in an environment where they weren't thriving it would be better in my case to have them out than in. However as expected I never made it to 39 weeks. We induced my second at 37 weeks for IUGR because it looked as if she couldn't make it to 39 and we induced my third at 36 weeks for the same reason. I am currently 31 weeks now with my last baby. Of course the plan is if I can go 39 weeks than we will and induce at that point however realistically we know I won't make it there. I've come to accept that while some people say inducing at 39 weeks is bad that this is not always the case especially with babies who truely are growth restricted. I say if you feel that you can trust your dr's and value their experience then I would go with it if not you can ask to see a high risk perinatologist for a second opinion and ultrasound . I trust my drs so even if baby is perfect and great I will still be induced at 39 weeks because they agree with my history its whys safest for baby and I agree. I say go with how you feel and how the dr makes you feel. As for the cervadil I don't think I've ever had that. I've always had pitocin :-( ughhhh hated it but all three labory so far have been induced and never ending in csection so I've always had a vaginal delivery induction. With my last my cervix was not ready at all at 36 weeks I wasn't even fingertip dilated so they put a foley bulb in and that didnt work at all plus it hurt :-( I was kinda mad but the pitocin did work and in the end it turned out well.

Just keep in mind with growth restricted babies that today they may say 39 weeks and next week they may say "no we won't make it we need to induce now" so I would talk to your dr and come up with a game plan kinda like a what if plan. With my son I really thought I could go to 39 and went o my biweekly appt and they said we have a problem he needs to come out. I was alittle sad and worried but I wasn't debated because I knew that it was always a possibility that he would need to come out at a moments notice.



Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)